Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Check this out. Particularly the paragraph about aging big game meat.

These are the people we expect to get good information from.

http://dnr.state.co.us/newsapp/press.asp?PressId=9082

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/29/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting. I guess I should stop aging game on top of my car.

"Remember�aging does not improve the flavor or serve to tenderize game meat. Beef can be aged to become more tender and flavorful because the fat on a domestic cow protects the meat from rotting at 38 degrees. Deer and elk are 90-95 percent lean, and the leaner the meat the faster it deteriorates.

When taking the animal home, keep it cold and out of sight. Do not strap an animal to the top of your car. "

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like to leave mine on a fence post in the sun.... wink

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No surprise that they don't know what they are talking about. I once took a hunter safety class with my son and the guy said NEVER allow water to touch game meat or it will ruin it. Probably is the reason I see deer coming in down at the local processor that looks like jerky.
I always ask that they hang a deer for 3 weeks before cutting it up. Best venison you will ever eat, in fact I'm putting some on the BBQ right now.
Time to pull a cork on a good Cabernet!!

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've read a number of articles about aging game meat that say that cervids have different enzymes than bovines. As a result, aging doesn't affect tenderness like it does in beef. I don't know which is right and offering my opinion wouldn't change anyone's mind anyway.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I think we need DIYguy to do another study.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by eh76

With the hide on with lots of dirt added to protect the insides of course.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Years ago, when I was in high school, Dad and I were hunting with a friend and his son who was packing an M1 carbine. We jumped a deer and I fired the 1st shot,lung shooting it. However, the other kid emptied his mag into it, literally hitting it with all 16 shots. It was a gory mess and Dad politely invited him to tag it since he 'put it on the ground'. They took it back to camp and hung it up with the hide on and covered it with an army poncho. It hung there for 3 days in the heat, often with the sun on it. When we packed up to go home, 1000 flies came out from under the poncho. Dad politely declined to share the meat.

They later commented that the meat really didn't taste all that good. Ya think?

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of my hunting buddies was raised in PA. He claimed that when his dad shot a deer he hung it with the hide on until the first thaw of spring. Said when he first moved out west and started hunting with us he couldn't believe how much better our venison tasted. I can't imagine why.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
One of my hunting buddies was raised in PA. He claimed that when his dad shot a deer he hung it with the hide on until the first thaw of spring. Said when he first moved out west and started hunting with us he couldn't believe how much better our venison tasted. I can't imagine why.

Got to remember that PA deer season starts the 1st of December, not early Oct.

It is common practice to let the deer hang outside with the hide on for a week or too, but certainly not until spring thaw UGHHH!!!!

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bobcape

With the hide on with lots of dirt added to protect the insides of course.

Bob

But you have to chase them hard first...

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Spraying your meat with citric acid when you hang it goes a long way in improving the quality of the processed product.

Why is there an ad for that scumbag Mark Bagitch on my screen?

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

You kill/eat magpies? smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've read a number of articles about aging game meat that say that cervids have different enzymes than bovines. As a result, aging doesn't affect tenderness like it does in beef. I don't know which is right and offering my opinion wouldn't change anyone's mind anyway.

I don't know if aging wild game affects the meat "like beef" or not. Who cares? Aging wild game improves eating quality without a doubt - and that's from experience. Aging isn't the be-all.-end all however.. Several other factors can come into play. Some of the best meat i've ever had was some caribou killed at about 20 degrees, gutted only, not skinned, quickly frozen and week or so and later skinned and butchered.

There are multiple factors involved here, and I don't fully understand them. I just do the best I can under the circumstances. I will say the most tender and delicious caribou (or any meat) I've ever had was from a 'bou I killed out on the Alaska Peninsula. 6 weeks of pork chops was getting to me, so I whacked this bull hanging around camp with the F&G rifle, sent most of it to other camps and the supply pilot, but kept a hind, slicing off meals as time progressed. (Also discolored or maggoty meat). No refrigeration, just ambient upper 40's temp, in the shade under the salmon counting tower. We ate off that hind for a couple weeks. One could cut the steaks with a fork, literally.

Our farts would gag a maggot, literally.... smile Middle of the night, one of us would rip his sleeping bag open and race outside to fart. Damn, that was good meat, with bad end results... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I read somewhere, can't remember where, that meat ages while in the deep freeze. Albeit more slowly, but ages none the less.

I enjoy venison fresh, so I don't want to risk it spoiling by trying to improve it through aging.

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Part of the aging process is losing moisture. It does that when frozen, too, but we try to prevent it. Losing too much, in addition to oxidation, is what we call freezer burn which ruins the meat.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by AndySpencer
I read somewhere, can't remember where, that meat ages while in the deep freeze. Albeit more slowly, but ages none the less.

I enjoy venison fresh, so I don't want to risk it spoiling by trying to improve it through aging.

I just ate the last piece of meat from a tough old bull I killed in 2009. 5 years frozen. No freezer burn, just well wrapped in freezer paper. That bull was just as tough as the day I put it in the freezer.

So in my experience that theory is BS.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That sounds like a bull I shot about the same year, more or less. No amount of hanging would tenderize that thing. He was a hamburger special.

― George Orwell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
714 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 3,151 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,752
Posts18,401,318
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.