Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
A little off subject. But I have had sticky cases on the 327 Federal Magnum at 40K psi in the Ruger. The chambers were smooth as a baby's butt. Not bad,but it is a different shooting those higher pressure rounds in a revolver.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
I here you. I know longer have an interest in pushing things to the max. Its really not needed. When I figured out how to kill things and realized I didnt need 2000fps out of a revolver to make animals plop over things got a bit more fun. My go to 454 load is pushing a 335 cp to 1350ish which is my max load. The gun will go much higher but there really is no point other than gaining distance. To me that defeats the purpose of handgun hunting anyway. I keep my shots within 50 yds and load my guns accordingly.

Last edited by gunchamp; 07/25/14.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Gibby
Yea, but not at 65K psi.

Other than the S&W's, I have a Mod 83,four Colt SAA's, and two Blackhawk's in 45 Long Colt and a Win rifle. I have loaded everything from 12K to 40K psi. Never had a case fail. Other than working the neck by crimping, I get good number of reloads before they go to the recycle bin. But I get less case life at the 40K loads for sure. That is expected. We all agree on that. It's the 65K thing I do not like.

If you read the article of Ross Seyfried taking the Cape buffalo with a 5 1/2" barreled revolver chambered in 45 Colt . Roses loaded a 355 grain hard cast loaded to a chronographed 1495 fps. According to John Linebaugh that was a 60,00 psi load. Ross told me personally that he always used 45 Colt brass for his heavy loads and never experience in problems in doing so.
Newly manufactured 45 Colt brass in a 5 shot revolver will work just fine in my experience as well

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
You like pushing buttons don't you.

Load those 60K loads in those 45 Colt cases 8 to 10 times.

We were talking about saving money were we not?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't know why we are harping on this, but there is nothing inherently weak about new .45 Colt brass. What is the issue?

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Don't know why we are harping on this, but there is nothing inherently weak about new .45 Colt brass. What is the issue?
I know, that's what I've been trying to figure out.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
My best guess is some here have not spent time with the 45 colt as of late.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
You like pushing buttons don't you.

Load those 60K loads in those 45 Colt cases 8 to 10 times.

We were talking about saving money were we not?

Nope, just stating what Seyfried wrote and my experience as well. I've had 44 mag cases with book loads that would not go 8 to 10 reloads because of case neck splitting.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Whitworth1

Did not say this.^^^^

Simply put. AGAIN. Way back in this discussion, we were talking about using 45 Colt cases to save money because 454 brass was too expensive. {AND} getting 454 performance out of those cases. Saving money requires multiple loading in your brass.

All I am saying,(trying to say) is 45 Colt cases is not as good as 454 cases when trying to do that.

45 Colt cases at "plinking" levels--no problem.

45 Colt cases at "magnum levels"(IE:44 mag levels) -- no problem.

45 Colt cases at "454 Levels", Multiple times is riskier. Better to use 454 Brass than 45 Colt cases.

That is all I am trying to say. Simple as that. Nothing more.

It should not be this hard to get this point across here.

I am not the one "harping". Just trying to get a simple point across. I have explained it from many angles. Some people read and comprehend and some don't.

Review for the 19 year old 2nd graders:
If you are going to load at 454 pressures multiple times, spend the money on 454 brass. Save your 45 Colt brass for magnum loads and lower loads.

45 Colt brass IS NOT WEAK. Just not as strong as 454 Brass.

Jesus Crist!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Above post sums it up well. It's amazing how electronic communication, in this case, in the form of posts, can get so misconstrued/misinterpreted. I struggle with this constantly conversing with clients in work-related emails.

...and to stir the pot, what you REALLY need is to just buy .460 S&W Mag brass and cut it down to either .45 Colt or .454 Casull length cases. That will save tons of money! crazy

-John

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

45 Colt brass IS NOT WEAK. Just not as strong as 454 Brass.

Jesus Crist!

Based on what evidence? It is my understanding, at least in the case of Starline brass, that the only differences between the .454 and .45 Colt cases are the length and the primer pocket. I am not trying to be combative here, but you are making definitive statements and I would like to know what evidence you have to back that up. That's all.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Look at the schematics of both cases. I am computer illiterate, or I would give you a link. Go to ANSI's SAAMI listings. Or some of the newer load manuals. The case walls are thicker and the web section is larger in the 454 case.

One thing of note. I have had more case stretch in my 45 Colt cases (magnum levels) in the 1894 than any of the revolvers. My revolvers vary somewhat, but in minor way.

I keep good notes for all my loads. I shoot the same cases in the same guns. I am pretty OCD when it come to loading. The FA does very well in low case stretch(tight tolerances). The Colts do too, but they are loaded much milder. I go by my notes, not what is posted on the Webbnet.

You know we are talking about minor differences here. But at very high pressures over and over there is a possibility of a ruptured case. The 454 cases were designed from the beginning for these pressures.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Lever guns, like Marlin and Winchester, where rounds are fed from a riser or elevator, entering the chamber at a slight angle, the chamber has to be set up to allow for that. Those chambers can never be as tight as a custom 5 shot revolver cylinder.

So, you're going to get more stretch with those cases than with cases used in a tight, custom chambered six gun..

DF

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Lever guns, like Marlin and Winchester, where rounds are fed from a riser or elevator, entering the chamber at a slight angle, the chamber has to be set up to allow for that. Those chambers can never be as tight as a custom 5 shot revolver cylinder.

So, you're going to get more stretch with those cases than with cases used in a tight, custom chambered six gun..

DF

True. Very true.

Add to that there is minor "spring" in the bolt since it locks up in the rear of the bolt. The '86 and '71's are much heavier bolt/ receiver in those areas. And others.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, and the '92 is a heap stronger design than the Marlin equivalent. JMB designed some tough guns.

Ever see a .454 Marlin?

DF

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I had a Redhawk rechambered from .44 Magnum to 45 Colt minimum specefications by Clements. I haven't seen a great improvement in accuracy but the expected improvement in case life was nice. A bit more "free" velocity with the same loads too. I have only one complaint, my "standard" Clement's conversion brass now has to be watched as it given special status and not fired in my other .45 Colts. Please don't tell my how many brass I could have thrown away for the price of the conversion. I want a .45 Colt Super Redhawk so this discussion of the 454 Casull chambered gun using 45 Colt brass is a great "project" starting place.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Did you get Dave to line bore it? That seems to enhance accuracy.

My line bored three screw SBH, .44 mag to .45 Colt, is a tack driver with Shilen barrel and trigger job.

DF

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
730 members (09wingates, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 74 invisible), 2,937 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,552
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.