Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
houston Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
What auto loading pistol would be your choice for a accurate dependable piece. I have a number of large single and double actions just looking for another toy~ thanks, jeff~

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
1911 would be my first choice. 45acp is a great defense round and also a very accurate platform for plinking or competition shooting. Take a look at one of the new Springfield Range Officer Models. They come loaded with all the bells & whistles you need and can be had for around $800 NIB.

If your not a 1911 type of guy, either the Glock large frame autos in .45acp or 10mm are both accurate and super reliable.you can get a new one for right around $600.

A lot of guys reccomend the Smith & Wesson M&P series autos. Not a damn thing wrong with them, except that they don't fit my hand well. But I know lots of LEO's that carry them and swear by them.

And if you want an autoloader that has a saftey, I'd take a serious look at the FN FNP-45acp. Mine holds 16 rounds of ammo, has a saftey and a de-cocker, and can also be fired in double action mode for the first round, or you can carry it cocked and locked like a 1911.
I won mine from FN in a Sales Contest back when I was employed in the Wholesale Firearms Industry. Mine is ever hit as reliable as my Glock and very accurate also. I think the run about $675, brand new.

Best thing is to go to a local range and rent some to test fire, and see which fits your hand the best and is easier for you to shoot.

Warning, if you buy a 1911, they are addicting and seem to multiply quickly in my gun safe cool

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/12/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
M16 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
My favorites are two STI perfect 10's. They are 1911 style 10mm with a six inch barrel. Anything 10mm peaks my interest.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
1911 Springfield Loaded, chambered in 45 acp

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 1911 converted to 460 Rowland is an option I would consider. I have my S&W 625 re-chambered to it, and it is a very potent round.

I have friends that hunt with 10MM Glocks and they are successful on deer. Those guys also get their Blacktail every year with a bow on opening day.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had a Kimber 1911 in 10mm for a few months until the previous owner offered me much more $ to buy it back. It was a great pistol. Lasergrip was very nice as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by houston
What auto loading pistol would be your choice for a accurate dependable piece.

Glock 23 or 35 in .40 S&W or a single stack 1911 in the same.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am preferring my Ruger P345 I bought a few years ago over my 1911's. A bulletproof, light and accurate bargain.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
1911 or Sig 220. If 8+1 and an extra magazine or two, doesn't get you out of a mess, you need more folks on your side. Both are as reliable as they come.

Jack

Last edited by jt402; 07/29/14.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
What auto loading pistol would be your choice for a accurate dependable piece. I have a number of large single and double actions just looking for another toy~ thanks, jeff~

Not a self-defense question, then.

I would say, a Colt Government 1911 in .45 acp.

Although that would do fine for self-defense, as well.

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

I have taken to Grocks in the last year. I have a G19 9mmX19 for range practice and a G30 in .45 cap for carry. I had them fitted with Dave Lauck's version of the Commonoli safety. Keeps the guns from going bang at inopportune times�

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Ever now and then I get an itch for a Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP. I haven't scratched it yet. One of their target versions in 10mm would be a tempting choice as well.

For strictly a toy, a Desert Eagle might be fun. Not a lot of fun to pack but sure fun to shoot.

The cool thing is if it's "just a toy" there's really no wrong answer no matter what you buy. You can think a bit farther outside the box.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
1911 would be my first choice. 45acp is a great defense round and also a very accurate platform for plinking or competition shooting. Take a look at one of the new Springfield Range Officer Models. They come loaded with all the bells & whistles you need and can be had for around $800 NIB.

If your not a 1911 type of guy, either the Glock large frame autos in .45acp or 10mm are both accurate and super reliable.you can get a new one for right around $600.

A lot of guys reccomend the Smith & Wesson M&P series autos. Not a damn thing wrong with them, except that they don't fit my hand well. But I know lots of LEO's that carry them and swear by them.

And if you want an autoloader that has a saftey, I'd take a serious look at the FN FNP-45acp. Mine holds 16 rounds of ammo, has a saftey and a de-cocker, and can also be fired in double action mode for the first round, or you can carry it cocked and locked like a 1911.
I won mine from FN in a Sales Contest back when I was employed in the Wholesale Firearms Industry. Mine is ever hit as reliable as my Glock and very accurate also. I think the run about $675, brand new.

Best thing is to go to a local range and rent some to test fire, and see which fits your hand the best and is easier for you to shoot.

Warning, if you buy a 1911, they are addicting and seem to multiply quickly in my gun safe cool

This^^^

How Big and powerfully?

45 ACP
45 ACP +P
45 Super
10mm
460 Rowland

They are all big and powerful for a standard size gun.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an older ParaOrdnance P-14 that I shoot in informal matches. The 14+1 capacity makes for fewer reloads. I understand there was a time when they were moving or had just moved from Canada when the QC was not good. Some say the Canadian workers were not too careful after they found out they were losing their jobs....but mine was made long before that time and has been very reliable - no jams that I can recall in several years of shooting. I only shoot RN or RNFP out of it, though as I use a custom Commander for defense.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have a Colt Gold Cup circa 1968 and a stainless LW Commander from the late '90s. I could be happy with just the Commander but the GC is so nice on the range!

Last ten years I had a badge and commission I carried a Glock 30. Great carry piece but when I retired, replaced it with the Commander.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Jeff-

Nice goat.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Desert Eagle in 50AE

Or a Guncrafter 1911 in 50 GI

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Block 20 10mm. It is a surprisingly smooth shooter that you can run hard and put up wet. It is accurate and fun to shoot too.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Auto loader for large bore performance that isn't a self defense gun? Glock's the only game in town -- 10mm.

There's a reason there are so many of them out there ...

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Unless you need a single stack, that is.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

269 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 2,510 guests, and 940 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,726
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.