Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nothing wrong with your wood stocked 06 either. I have one just like it, and it is definitely one of my favorites.. Those Montana slings look like just the ticket too. Thanks..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by keystoneben
Yep, its hard to find something to complain about. I've been reaching for that rifle over my factory stocked 06 more and more.

If you haven't tried the Montana sling yet. I'd give it a shot. Try the one with the swivels, or try the one with Chicago screws. Its probably worth spending the 5-10 minutes to remove the sling when needed.

I ran the Chicago Screw Montana Sling on my 338 when using the wood stock. Worked excellent as Ben mentioned.

[Linked Image]

The Montana sling works very nice as it can be tightened up in order to stay outta the way when your hunting through thicker vegetation.

I have sorta started the transition to M1907 slings. I have one on order from Turners Slings. He will sell you at a reasonable price (I think) a set of swivels that will replace the Pre64 swivels so you can use the wider 1.25" sling. If your a hasty sling shooter, the Montana works real well, but if you like to get into a loop sling the Turner is EXCELLENT. I borrowed one from a friend and have really been doing well on the range with it. Locked into the sling from prone or sitting really changes my shooting alot.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A sling makes a hell of a difference if you have it adjusted right and you know how to use it. I remember shooting some offhand comps where it was not allowed. Many guys could not hit the 4" steel at 100 yards to save their lives. It may have been a different story if a sling were allowed.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
A sling makes a hell of a difference if you have it adjusted right and you know how to use it. I remember shooting some offhand comps where it was not allowed. Many guys could not hit the 4" steel at 100 yards to save their lives. It may have been a different story if a sling were allowed.

Without a doubt. I shot this off the ground at 200 yards with the sling a few weeks back just after I put my 338 in the McMillan. I think that is about as good as I can hold in the field.

[Linked Image]

Semper Fi
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I may be wrong but I think Turner built the Carlos Hathcock signed, 'White feather' sling I have, it still has the small white feather attached. I do not use it so if any of you guys need or want one you are welcome to it for what I have in it, 50 bucks. very best WinPoor

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Scotty a Brownell Latigo allows you to use a loop. Have you tried one of those?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Bob I haven't tried the Brownells Latigo but I believe it's the same as the M1907 isn't it? I know Brownells sling is great stuff. I'm going to google up the Latigo to check though.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Without a doubt. I shot this off the ground at 200 yards with the sling a few weeks back just after I put my 338 in the McMillan. I think that is about as good as I can hold in the field.

[Linked Image]

Good shooting Scotty!! Have I told you I really like your Alaskan? grin...I hope GusB is taking notes.. laugh

BSA MAGA
R
RGK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Proper use of a 1907-type sling is a valuable skill to a knowledgeable rifleman. Here's my shooting buddy, John Buol, former All-Army champion, using one during a quick 200 yd 5-shot string. Rifle is my old M70 .270. Note that the sling is tight and rides high on the left arm/bicep.
Bob

[Linked Image]

G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by beretzs
I have sorta started the transition to M1907 slings..

Looks you dispatched that pink varmint lying face down on the carpet just in time - close call smile

I ordered the Competitor Plus (1-1/4 inch wide - Brownells reproduction of the original 1907 Military Sling) with QR swivels because I�m already missing the originals and the PO had put what looks like Uncle Mike�s posts on the stock. I guess most pre64 M70 swivels were 1 inch, which could be an issue with this sling? I like the blue steel frogs/hooks on the Brownells, I�ll put a picture up when it comes in. Wayne van Zwoll/others have always said good things about Brownells Latigo and I think it comes in 1-inch width.

There�s a current a little book called �MASTERING THE SHOOTING POSITIONS
and Leather Sling by M/Sgt. JIM OWENS that seems to be a knowledgeable read on the 1907 sling. I picked it up on iBooks (might be on Amazon too).

Those Rugers make me miss my big .375 H&H M77 RSM MARK II sold a few years back. And now Ruger doesn�t make those guns anymore.

Last edited by Gusb; 07/27/14.
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That book by Owens is supposed to be real good. Might have to see if I can find a copy.

Yeah, Bob mentioned the Brownells Latigo, that seems like a great shooting aid as well.

Semper Fi
G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Got my new sling from Brownells. Looks a little too �unused� right now but kind of cool � just needs a little history. Seems like nice quality. Like WinPoor says, kind of heavy but I may lose the scope on this gun for a peep at some point anyway. Now if I can just figure out how to adjust and use the thing smile - the Owens book should help.

The QR swivels are GrovTec � they seem OK. Brownells even included 2 replacement frogs/hooks. Leather seems nice, just needs a little breaking in.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Gusb; 07/29/14.
G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
and extra frogs!
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Gus, that's a rifle to be proud of!!

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree, nice rifle! That sling needs to be dragged behind a car for a few miles, and rubbed with leather oil. smile

Eric

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I like the finish on the stock.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The gun turned out very nice!I bet it shoots as well as it looks too. BRAVO! winpoor

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
grub, Very nice looking rifle! If I could offer one suggestion - get rid of the Weaver rings. I know they work just fine but they look terrible IMO.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Reelman, I am like you on one hand! Those weaver rings sure are homely BUT Ill be dog dam if they are mor some of the very toughest I have ever mounted on a centerfire or rimfire, I have a set on a model 43 in 218bee that has been on the gun since day one, 35 years ,same 2x7 scope, That gun was a work gun and has been banged around 300K + mies in 4x4 and jeeps, haytrucks, tractors, you name it , they are so worn from gun laying on left pure alum is worn to split ring screw holes! UGLY but tough as nails, Strap top is too!very best winpoor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EricM
I agree, nice rifle! That sling needs to be dragged behind a car for a few miles, and rubbed with leather oil. smile

Eric

Yes, or have some old indian squaw nibble on it for a few days laugh

BSA MAGA
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

213 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 1_deuce, 1minute, 300_savage, 31 invisible), 1,756 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,054
Posts18,463,191
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.