Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
If there is an omnipotent and omniscient God, don't you think He factored the two into his dynamic?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Issac,

So a god that punishes the ignorant is worthy of worship? Someone who doesn't know God, hasn't been introduced to Him, or isn't 'smart enough to know the 'obvious'?

Fear worthy maybe.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Sure, I know the differences as defined by Webster. I am interested in what our members say.

For myself: I suppose there might be now, or might have been at some time in the billions of years since this Universe was spawned, several species out there with vastly more intelligence, wisdom, science, and technology than we have accumulated to this date. But those beings, if they ever existed, most certainly have no interest or effect upon the present day events of this planet. They certainly do not care about, or intervene in my day to day activities

I believe that any species in this Universe is bound by the natural laws of Physics.

I firmly believe that when electrical activity in the brain ceases, all that a man is, was, or ever will be ceases to exist. Thus there can be no Afterlife, no Heaven, and no Hell. I believe that all stories of supernatural events, contrary to the known and unknown laws of science, are matters of coincidence, misinterpretation, and or delusion.

Agnostic or Atheist? Or is there really a difference?

Atheist proclaims he knows God is a ruse and does not exist.

An Agnostic admits he does not have the answers. In my case I have a hard time believing in that what I can't see, hear or smell, but also recognize that greater minds then my own throughout history have been believers, so who am I to say?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Sure, I know the differences as defined by Webster. I am interested in what our members say.

For myself: I suppose there might be now, or might have been at some time in the billions of years since this Universe was spawned, several species out there with vastly more intelligence, wisdom, science, and technology than we have accumulated to this date. But those beings, if they ever existed, most certainly have no interest or effect upon the present day events of this planet. They certainly do not care about, or intervene in my day to day activities

I believe that any species in this Universe is bound by the natural laws of Physics.

I firmly believe that when electrical activity in the brain ceases, all that a man is, was, or ever will be ceases to exist. Thus there can be no Afterlife, no Heaven, and no Hell. I believe that all stories of supernatural events, contrary to the known and unknown laws of science, are matters of coincidence, misinterpretation, and or delusion.

Agnostic or Atheist? Or is there really a difference?

By definition, your hpothesis means that all thought is determined by electro-chemical processes; material processes of cause and effect, if you will. Materialism (your hypothesis, or belief---the idea that the universe is comprised of nothing more than material causes and their effects) necessarily entails a denial of any such thing as the metaphysical freedom of the mind, freedom of thought that is. This entails the belief that "truth" is entirely illusory. For there to be such a thing as "truth" the mind must be free to distinguish the truth from error and materialism denies that possibility. A mind whose "thoughts" are the mere by-products (effects) of material causes is not free in the metaphysical sense to apprehend anything. Truth, in the materialis universe, is therefore an oxymoron. It is a self-contradiction. Materialists are therefore very much like that very first philosopher---the Cretan who said that all Cretans are liars!

Atheism is a dogmatic position that goes way beyond the evidence and is, in the final analysis, self-refuting.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
So a god that punishes the ignorant is worthy of worship?
============

No, He's not.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Now,

This is a thought provoking post.

I can see some research on "materialism" in my future.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I know this much. Ten people who posted on this thread are on my ignore list, as a reminder to myself that they are buttholes. Every one of their posts were denying, if not insulting, the existence of God. Quite telling, considering that nobody makes that list because of religious dialog.

I have analyzed my own data and found your results to be independently confirmed. ;-{>8

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Now,

This is a thought provoking post.

I can see some research on "materialism" in my future.

Idaho, for an excellent read, you might consider Phillip Johnson's "Reason in the Balance". There are also some things I could send you (short articles, if I can find them, if you want them). He is a retired Berkely law professor who writes very clearly.

Jordan

Last edited by RobJordan; 07/29/14.

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by CCCC
Dictionary.com
Faith: belief that is not based on proof:

If, for some reason, you think that such a definition proves, or even hints, that faith is contrary to fact, you appear to be a very shallow thinker. Even the definition you offer there shows nothing that rules out the co-existence and mutual support of the two.

If your beliefs are consistent with the evidence, there is no need for faith.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by TF49

Nope, you just introduced a red herring. You are choosing to ignore the point as it does not suit your purposes.

TF

I did no such thing. We've been on the theme of evidence vs. faith for sometime. All I did was demonstrate why testimony alone may not be a sufficient basis for belief.

As for your metaphysical ramblings about some internal faith, they are neither testable, verifiable, nor falsifiable, and that's why you've retreated to this last thin tattered bastion for your failing argument.

So falsifiability is your criterion? I think the beliefs of the most certified Wittensteinian Atheist/empiricis/positivist can be shown to be as utterly dependent upon an act of metaphysical faith as the beliefs of the most fundamental Biblical literalist. Atheists are, virtually by definition, materialists. But materialism denies the possibility of the metaphysical freedom of the mind, which is a necessary condition precedent for intelligible thought about anything. Atheism simply exempts itself from the strictures of its own theory in an act of metaphysical faith that rivals, for sheer credulity, anything seen in fundamentalist Christianity.
Myself, I like my Christianity leveaned with a good does of Aristotelian rationalism. I am out of town for a few days, but I'll take this up when I return on Sunday, if anyone is still interested by then. crazy

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by isaac
If there is an omnipotent and omniscient God, don't you think He factored the two into his dynamic?
I believe that our God is omniscient and omnipotent - and that he has factored in EVERYTHING. But, having those qualities and accomplishing such factoring does not at all mean that God does not make distinctions between such beliefs and behaviors among mankind. I know not nearly enough to make a statement such as yours, and await the explanation of your apparently superior knowledge base.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Five pages and 114 replies is why I NEVER answer a religious thread.

We are aligned with religion and investing. Not bad. smile

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Mother nature created man,then man created god.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by rimfire
Mother nature created man,then man created god.

Who created "mother nature"?

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
The big bang

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rimfire
The big bang

So that's what Mother Nature called it!!!!! laugh

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I will never cease to be astonished at the erudition, intellectual accomplishment, ability to speak/write clearly and definitively, and the wisdom of many, many of the members. Then there are the rest of you poor losers who don't believe in God!

Terry

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think most members on the Fire believe in God we just may not believe in YOUR God.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
CCCC,
"I believe that our God is omniscient and omnipotent"

Do you believe that God can smite someone who displeases him? If you don't believe God would smite someone who displeases him is it ok if he gets one of his believers to smite them? A yes or no answer is ok, please don't quote Bible scripture.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sometimes I wonder what we're really debating in these threads. I read the following recently, a quote by someone who is undoubtedly much smarter than I am, and likely smarter than anyone posting on this thread:
"Atheism is the least plausible of all theologies. I mean, there are a lot of wild ones out there, but the one that clearly runs so contrary to what is possible, is atheism."

And this coming from someone with a solid scientific education who describes himself as a non-religious person. He grew up in a faith but rejected it and does not practice faith. If an intelligent, non-religious person can see how implausible atheism is, then maybe some of us haven't thought it through. Still, thinking it through to a position of theism would leave one very, very far from being a Christian.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 1,069 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,108
Posts18,464,281
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.