-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There used to be an insufferable DICK named Greenhorn who used to post here from Montana. Arguably the most successful HUNTER on this website. Every year he did a LOT of legwork and scouting and shot some incredible animals, all on his own. He HATED anyone who hunted Africa, but then again, ignorance was probably the issue. I'm sure if one were to live in a game and land rich state like Montana or Alaska, DIY hunts would be a lot more productive. Here in Florida/northern GA is pretty easy to go and shoot a hog or a deer, but the availability of access is nowhere near what it is out west. For a guy like me, guided hunts are practically my only option for serious trophy hunting and in that regard, Africa; in my opinion, has no equal.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jorge, living in the west is no panacea. We have access issues and overcrowding of public areas too.

People like Greenhorn are unique and there are few of them. I have never had the budget for gas to drive to my zone (about 100 miles) and time to spend hours/days scouting. I have a family and when they were young, I helped care for them. Now that they are older and hunting with me, I find that school sports and their events help keep me busy. My job is very regimented and I can't drop things at the drop of the hat. My time for scouting is nearly zilch. I wish it were different.

Where Greenhorn rubs you wrong is that he assumes that because he lives in a rural area with quick access to scout, and the time (whether single, or with a very understanding spouse (or soon to be single) and a job which allows this extra time), then everybody should be able to do it, and if you can't/won't you are less of a hunter than him.

Also, in his experience, a guide is not required to bring great success. At this point in his hunting experience, he is not ready to consider other opportunities. And he may never change his preferences, and that is OK. Different strokes for different folks.

Once he gets older, or breaks a leg (that doesn't heal well), blows out a back etc, or maybe just gets a hankering for something different, then his attitude may change. Once he begins to explore other options, he will realize that he will need a guide/PH in other locales, that animals are different, and that there are similarities in game and terrain, there are differences. Not necessarily better, or worse, just different.

While I will continue to hunt deer and antelope, and the odd elk or moose in Alberta when I draw tags, I have been to Africa once. I am plotting to go again. The hunting is similar, but different, ditto the terrain. The variety of animals is amazing. The opportunity is amazing. The company (PH) was fantastic. It was nice hunting when I wasn't freezing my fingers (often the case in Alberta).

Being cheap, and realizing my physical limitations (rebuilt ankle on the right, nerve damage on the left that leaves it weak (bad back injury)), Africa is the answer for me. I can handle the terrain, although where I was, it was more mountainous and rocky than I expected. However, my trekking poles helped me overcome that. I may be slow, but I get there every time! When I compare pricing of GUIDED hunts in North America to Africa, there is no contest. My dollar goes a lot further in Africa. I get to hunt with my friend. In North America, I can neither afford a guided hunt for most species and on many, like sheep or elk, moose or caribou in some locations, if I am honest with myself, I can't handle the terrain anymore.

While I admire Greenhorn for his effort and dedication, I realize that I can never be him. That kind of effort and ability has passed me by.

For me, for something different, I will be heading to Africa. smile

Last edited by AB2506; 07/28/14.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Greenhorn rubbed me the wrong way, because he was an insufferable ASS whe it came to expressing his views about those of us who hunt Africa and are not fortunate to have the access (and skills) he obviously has. A few other guys here are successful as well and don't come across like that. Then there's Big Stick of Course, the ass of asses. I have a friend who lives up near Thompson Falls with GREAT access to hunting lands and he does very wll too (with a bow), only he's not a complete orifice like these guys.

Last edited by jorgeI; 07/28/14.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you are one that pretty much needs to get on an airplane to hunt elk, then Africa becomes more attractive. The 2 posts preceding this one by Jorge and JG pretty much spell it out. If you live in Elk country, have time to scout and know the country, then it's a no brainer to do elk. On the other hand, I don't, and when it comes to considering $15k+ for the White Mnt. Apache hunt for elk or Nambia/RSA/ Zambia for 8-10 animals, I'm going to Africa.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Glad you finally came out of the dugout Steinbrenner.......you're one of the chief enablers that got me into this Africa mess. You owe me $15k so far.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll add it to your next contract at arbitration!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Greenhorn rubbed me the wrong way, because he was an insufferable ASS whe it came to expressing his views about those of us who hunt Africa and are not fortunate to have the access (and skills) he obviously has. A few other guys here are successful as well and don't come across like that. Then there's Big Stick of Course, the ass of asses. I have a friend who lives up near Thompson Falls with GREAT access to hunting lands and he does very wll too (with a bow), only he's not a complete orifice like these guys.

I hear you. The Campfire is still not as bizarre as Alberta Outdoorsmen. Can hardly stomach that site for all the fighting, criticism and self proclaimed Johnny Super Hunters. Can't seem to have legitimate discussions without all of the above. Of course there are plenty of stupid questions: is the 22mag enough for deer? Or people who post, "look at me, I went to Namibia and shot all these animals and my Berger bullets worked great. I only used an average of 4 shots per critter (I'm exaggerating a bit)". THEN the person gets snotty when people disagree and say that it doesn't sound like the Bergers worked that well. Well the Partitions only shot 3shot 0.75 groups, the Bergers made me more confident because they shot into 0.50 groups. You can't convince them that there is nothing wrong with the Partition group. They're all about accuracy only.

Anyways, At this point of my life, if I had to hire a guide for elk, or go to Africa, it would be Africa for me.

Last edited by AB2506; 07/28/14.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Glad you finally came out of the dugout Steinbrenner.......you're one of the chief enablers that got me into this Africa mess. You owe me $15k so far.

At least you didn't blame me�... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
And as for the Greenhorn thing. Yes, no doubt he's a real hunter. But he should be more receptive to others that are not ( for whatever reason) able to get his level of experience. Ive done the Greenhorn thing, climbed plenty-o-mountains and packed plenty-o-game off of them. Ive done the Africa thing-a lot-with nary a high fence in sight and PLENTY of miles logged on the desert boots. Some animals were easy,some definitely were not.Some wanted to kill me back, some did not.
As age and old injuries come to haunt, it is slowly but surely getting more comfort oriented,with less output of energies. This does not seem to be an optional program. I hope the Greenhorns of the world embrace it as it descends upon them�.
If his or anyone else's opinions are based on wealthy, enabled, and entitled feeling 'hunters' who measure success in body counts and horn scores�.I'm with him on that! Seen some truly "Ugly Americans" going on Safari.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Someting to be said for a hot shower and a cold beer at the end of the day....

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by JGRaider

At least you didn't blame me�... whistle

YOU KNEW you were the other perpetrator, you bastid. You owe me $15k as well....so far! smile

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I always considered Greenhorn and Scenarshooter the real deal. After years and years of squatting up and down a gozillion times, 4 knee surgeries, arthritic knees.....my days of hauling azzz up and down our aoudad country, or high mountains, are pretty much gone I'm afraid. When I go, I go slowly nowadays!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
15K�..Hmmmmmmmmm�.will you take a post-dated check? whistle

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember watching the movie "Hatari" when it first came out. I wanted more than anything to go to Africa and hunt. Over 50 years later, I still haven't been to Africa. I don't see it happening either. I wouldn't know a Dik Dik from a Lesser Koodoo, so I would have to have labels on the mounts when I hung them in the house.

I continue to shoot elk because they are closer than Africa and the money I would spend on a Safari, I put into old Winchesters and Sakos. When the day comes I can't get out at all, I figure I could sell the guns to keep from starving before I could sell a Dik Dik...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Little dik diks are hard to sell�.and you are the first in 50 years minimum to spell Koodoo the old school way...

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Bottom line:

First, I went on a guided elk hunt. I had a good time and shot a 6X6 elk.

Next, I went to RSA and hunted seven days. I had a good time and shot a greater kudu, a gemsbok, a zebra, two impalas, a warthog, and a wildebeest.

And that cost less, even including the air fare, than the elk hunt.

After that I went to Africa twice more.

'Nuff said.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ingwe
And as for the Greenhorn thing. Yes, no doubt he's a real hunter. But he should be more receptive to others that are not ( for whatever reason) able to get his level of experience. Ive done the Greenhorn thing, climbed plenty-o-mountains and packed plenty-o-game off of them. Ive done the Africa thing-a lot-with nary a high fence in sight and PLENTY of miles logged on the desert boots. Some animals were easy,some definitely were not.Some wanted to kill me back, some did not.
As age and old injuries come to haunt, it is slowly but surely getting more comfort oriented,with less output of energies. This does not seem to be an optional program. I hope the Greenhorns of the world embrace it as it descends upon them�.
If his or anyone else's opinions are based on wealthy, enabled, and entitled feeling 'hunters' who measure success in body counts and horn scores�.I'm with him on that! Seen some truly "Ugly Americans" going on Safari.

Plenty of "ugly Americans" hunting in the states as well. I'll be sixty this year, but still manage and can keep up with even the youngest of guides. That's not my issue. He painted all those who hunt africa with the same brush, and I can unequivocally say, if I lived where he does and had that access, I'd be doing it as well. Still, give me an African hunt any day. That is my preference and just as I don't disparage anyone who does everything DIY, the courtesies should be reciprocal.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by jorgeI
the courtesies should be reciprocal.

'should' is the operative word�.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Greenhorn is definitely the real deal and a total DIY guy but I don't put much stock in someone's opinion until they've experienced it first-hand.

I hunt like hell here in Montana and do it on my own as well.

One of the things I like best about hunting in Africa is I CAN DO IT IN MAY/JUNE/JULY/AUGUST when there is no hunting going on here in Montana.

I love the guys who love to hunt but say they don't have any interest in going to Africa.

If you love to hunt, you are going to frickin' love Africa! (Thanks to Ingwe I'll be working until I'm 105 YO)

Yeah, I like doing it on my own but the PH's I've hunted with in Africa have been a hell of a lot of fun to hunt with and they like hunting as much as I do.

I'm here to tell you that contrary to some popular beliefs, hunting in Africa ain't shooting fish in a barrel and it is challenging and fun as hell.

You can be assured I'll be back in Africa first chance I get and still hunting the hell out of Montana from Sept-Jan and April-May.

My .02.

Cheers!

Last edited by FishN4Eyes; 07/29/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FishN4Eyes
Greenhorn is definitely the real deal and a total DIY guy but I don't put much stock in someone's opinion until they've experienced it first-hand.

I hunt like hell here in Montana and do it on my own as well.

One of the things I like best about hunting in Africa is I CAN DO IT IN MAY/JUNE/JULY/AUGUST when there is no hunting going on here in Montana.

I love the guys who love to hunt but say they don't have any interest in going to Africa.

If you love to hunt, you are going to frickin' love Africa! (Thanks to Ingwe I'll be working until I'm 105 YO)

Yeah, I like doing it on my own but the PH's I've hunted with in Africa have been a hell of a lot of fun to hunt with and they like hunting as much as I do.

I'm here to tell you that contrary to some popular beliefs, hunting in Africa ain't shooting fish in a barrel and it is challenging and fun as hell.

You can be assured I'll be back in Africa first chance I get and still hunting the hell out of Montana from Sept-Jan and April-May.

My .02.

Cheers!

Well put!

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 64 invisible), 3,247 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,313
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.