Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Bryant Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I need a nice .22 rifle (no really I do)

What's your pick? Price is a factor.

Leaning heavy toward a CZ 455 American. What others should I look at.

Who has experience it a Remington 504? How hard are they to find?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Browning T-Bolt

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Order a Cooper built exactly how you want it and sell off a few other guns to help pay for it. It might take a year to get it so you have the chance to save more money to help pay for it.
You will have no regrets and a rifle that will stay with you until you die.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Since you wrote that price is a factory, I think the CZ will be your top choice. It will most likely shoot better than anything in it's price range.

The 504T I owned didn't impress me accuracy wise.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Order a Cooper built exactly how you want it and sell off a few other guns to help pay for it. It might take a year to get it so you have the chance to save more money to help pay for it.
You will have no regrets and a rifle that will stay with you until you die.

As much as I like my 453, that's not a bad idea.

You can use the year to acquire some decent ammo.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get a cz 453 American if you can find one. IMO the set trigger is worth it. If not the 453 then a 452-455 wouldn't do anything short of impress. Just so you know that on a cz the bolt throw is retardedly high and requires mounting of the scope rather high, the safety is backwards and the mag well should be immediately replaced with a aluminum DIP unit. (Stock one is a POS)

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Have to agree with the CZ recommendation. I have a 452. I have no experience with the 455. Go to rimfire central and check the CZ page for further information, or any other dedicated brand page they have there.

B
Bryant Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
The required high scope mounts on the cz does concern me. I like a nice cheek weld.

Last edited by Bryant; 07/29/14.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
You need a Marlin 39A (no, really you do). smile Accurate and fun to shoot!

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Bryant, I have several Rem. .22's mostly older models and they are accurate.. But I have picked up a couple CZ's.. One in a .22 and the other a .22 mag.. I am impressed.. If I were buying a new .22 tomorrow, it would be a CZ.. I am not sure of the model I would select.. But that is the brand I would choose.. You can spend a lot more money, but I doubt you will get much better quality for the $...Mine are excellent accuracy wise...

Molon Labe
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Order a cz 455, the dip mag well, dip extended mag release, a good set of rings, and some decent rimfire glass and watch the magic happen. So far Stoney's cooper has outshot my cz, but only barely and I have yet to install my yo Dave trigger kit. Everything but winchester HV has shot Moa out of it. Eley subsonic hollow points and norma have shot ragged holes. Spend te extra money on a bunch of good ammo and extra mags. You won't regret the cz, unless your looking purely at aesthetics.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you want a really nice .22, find a used Winchester/Browning 52 repro. Should run you in the neighborhood of $600-$800. Sometimes you can find one for that price with glass/mounts, etc..

It will be better looking than just about anything else you can find for twice the price (except for a used Cooper), it will out shoot just about everything, has a great trigger, and most of them have great wood but it is sometimes covered up with their factory stain and finish.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by cabindweller
Have to agree with the CZ recommendation. I have a 452. I have no experience with the 455. Go to rimfire central and check the CZ page for further information, or any other dedicated brand page they have there.

What cw says!

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Bryant, I am a Winchester guy, have been for 55 years, it all started with my great grandfathers model 67 that butchered more cattle and hogs,killed more varmints than 5 semi tractor trailers could pull. I have been very blessed with many Winchesters since that time. If you can find a Zanders HB modle 52 R or repo. buy it, mine is almost benchrest accurate using Wolf MT ammo. They are fantastic, well made , beautiful guns with a centerfire feel! You will not be disappointed. They also hold and keep resale ,in fact they keep going up. I have one and it is every bit as nice, shoots as well as my 56' mod 52 sporter that cost many thousands more! very best WinPoor

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The CZ 453 if the set trigger is something you want, have not heard anything bad about them. The CZ American 452 if you want a classic style walnut stock, The 452 Trainer (less money) has a Euro style hogback beech stock (but it has an excellent set of irons).

The CZ 452's need some trigger work, you can do it yourself and the yo-dave kit only runs around $18. There are other sears and replacement triggers avail. but I can not tell the diff. from a $65 repl. sear and a yo-dave kit.

Other CZ upgrades can wait till you can swing them and aren't necessary but add a bit of class to the gun; the triggerguard is stamped metal, DIP has a milled replacement. the magazine housing is plastic (you can not see it without taking the action out of the gun), again DIP has a metal replacement.

Their latest offering the CZ 455 I have no experience with... main advantage is you can switch barrels (22 LR, 22 Mag, 17 HMR & i the think the 17 mach 2).

Was looking at getting a Rem. 504 when they came out, but in a wise moment waited until others reviewed them... There were complaints regarding the accuracy and I skipped getting one.

Originally Posted by Bryant
The required high scope mounts on the cz does concern me. I like a nice cheek weld.

Me too... pic of my CZ Trainer in an American Stock with a Weaver 2-7 rimfire scope and low B-square sport utility rimfire rings. Works fine.

[Linked Image]

Jerry

p.s.

Take a look at the CZ 452 FS (full stock), my idea of a classic rifle, don't own one though. AND contrary to what others here have said; Stay away from the rimfirecentral.com CZ subforum... Those folks are the biggest enablers on the internet.

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 07/30/14.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a CZ455 as I wanted to try the 17HMR. It came with a .22 bbl. I have other 22's.

It's very accurate with the 17. The 17 has more range than a 22 and is legal in CT state forests.

The Winchester M75 Sporting's action is not nearly as thick or heavy as the 455 however the CZ's stamping of it's name etc. is course and not ground and polished smooth.

The 455's plastic magazine sticks out at the balance point.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bought a 452 Varmint ... didn't care for it one bit ... new owner loves it! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Good Luck with whatever you decide. Maybe you'll like the taste of CZ kool-aid. If so, enjoy! smile

FWIW, I did shoot the set trigger, didn't like that much either, broke clean and light, but the 1/4" of over-travel after the break IMHO robbed the CZ of some of it's accuracy potential.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
OP Assuming you want a bolt action 22. I have owned a 504. I really wanted to like that rifle. It looks beautiful. But they just don't shoot. I got rid of mine and would not recommend them to anyone.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 44mc, 300jimmy, 41rem, 15 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,447
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.