Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE:RGR) reports net sales of $153.7 million and fully diluted earnings of $1.12 per share, compared with net sales of $179.5 million and fully diluted earnings of $1.63 per share in the second quarter of 2013, a drop of 14%. Ruger CEO Michael O. Fifer attributed the drop in earnings to a "drop in demand for firearms and accessories."

BP-B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Clearly Obama needs to threaten some new bans to get things going again.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-all-records-due-obamas-gun-co/?page=all

Or Ruger could get into the .22lr ammo market.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They can't sell guns if there isn't ammo available.

Jim

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sometimes the lack of common sense analysis in these reports just amazes me.

If the record sales of the past few years is panic driven, meaning people are buying more than usual for fear of future restrictions, only an idiot would assume that it would continue indefinitely.

In other words, a lot of folks have "shot their wad", and are taking a breath.

I would be willing to bet, (safely, as there are no accurate figures) that used gun sales, especially of potential ban items is up, as the speculators clear out their stocks. Certainly, the prices should be down, as new stock at regular prices is plentiful.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I visited the Ruger plant in Arizona in February, and they told me then they were already seeing a little slow-down in demand, which they attributed to Obama Panic II finally starting to ease a little, as all panics eventually do.

It will be interesting to see what happens in this fall's elections. If the Republicans make significant gains, especially in the Senate, then the panic will ease even more. If not....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
John,
What was the demand softening for? Handguns? Their AR type rifle? Or everything across the board?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If they make what we want we will continue buying. In the last few years we bought a left hand Scout, a Shopkeeper and two 327's. When the Single seven hits Lipsey's we'll buy another.
The limited version of the 77-22 with the full-length stock looks good - wish it was a Hornet...

Slim
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Single Seven?

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The highest demand for the last couple years has been for handguns (especially semiautos) and AR-type rifles--and that's where the demand has slipped. Apparently those who wanted one (or two or three) have gotten what they wanted.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Which should say something to the folks that think CCI & Friends should be building new rimfire plants to meet the "demand", but probably won't.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Single Seven?

Stainless Single Six with seven holes in the cylinder, chambered for .327 Fed. Magnum. Special run by Lipsey's.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Just saw it. Pretty slick. Probably almost as heavy as my L frame, which is why I sold my last Single Six (along with the price and availability of .22 mag ammo.)

Last edited by Pappy348; 07/30/14.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I visited the Ruger plant in Arizona in February, and they told me then they were already seeing a little slow-down in demand, which they attributed to Obama Panic II finally starting to ease a little, as all panics eventually do.

It will be interesting to see what happens in this fall's elections. If the Republicans make significant gains, especially in the Senate, then the panic will ease even more. If not....

If i would have known that i could have been your unpaid taxi cab driver. My house is about ten minutes from the plant at the airport. Pretty sure you went to gunsite, my aunt owned all that land along the entrance to gunsite. Lot's of interesting gun people still around up there.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The highest demand for the last couple years has been for handguns (especially semiautos) and AR-type rifles--and that's where the demand has slipped. Apparently those who wanted one (or two or three) have gotten what they wanted.

^^^This^^^ I'd be willing to bet that immediately after the Sandy Hook tragedy, that more AR's were sold that year than had been sold in the previous 3 years together.
Another words, just about ANYONE who didn't have one, rushed out and bought an AR-15

Local Gun Stores in N. Texas shelves are FULL of AR's now. Including the big stores like Cabela's, Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, and Academy Sports.

If the Republicans can re-take the Senate during Mid-Term Elections, with the House all ready under Republican control, just MAYBE the Mfg's will finally catch up on .22 Rimfire ammo production.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by gahuntertom
Ruger CEO Michael O. Fifer attributed the drop in earnings to a "drop in demand for firearms and accessories."

Drop in demand, eh?

I attribute it to sticking an ugly muzzle break on a lot of their bolt action rifles. That, and discontinuing some of the models that made the most sense.

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
its sobering to realize just how small these gun companies are. It would not take a lot to put them out of business.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've purchased 3 rugers, all new, since February...........so, I'm doing my part.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If they would offer more LH guns , like the New American their sales would increase.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Gasman,

Ruger's sales figures are just a reflection of the overall gun industry--which isn't in any sort of depression.

The number of BATFE background checks for gun sales started upward quickly as soon as Obama was reelected, then zoomed even higher after Sandy Hook. They kept rising (though not as fast) until January 2014, and have been dropping slowly since--though they're still higher than they were before Obama's reelection.

Everybody I know in the gun industry (which includes people in firearm, ammo, and reloading component manufacturing) has been predicting a drop in demand for a while now, so aren't surprised to see it. Most have been a little surprised by the length of this panic, but it's the same pattern that been repeated in EVERY firearms buying-panic since the Clinton assault-rifle ban back in the 1990's: Shooters think the Feds are going to take away their guns and ammo so start "stocking up."

Then, a few months or a couple years later they have plenty of guns and ammo, and maybe a high credit-card balance as well. They not only quit buying but may even sell some of their guns and ammo to pay the mortgage--which floods the market and lessens demand from manufacturers.

In late 2009 the market was flooded with cheap AR-15's that people bought after the first Obama election. The price went as high as $2000 in the months after the election, but dropped to $600-$800 by the next fall. Why? The panic was over and demand was down--and the Feds hadn't passed a law banning AR-15's.

This panic has been deeper, both because people thought there was no way Obama would be reelected, and because Sandy Hook kept politicians talking about new gun laws for a long time, though almost nothing happened on a national level.

But ALL the gun-buying panics of the past couple decades have died down again, which is why Ruger isn't sweating it (they're still making PLENTY of money) and .22 ammo companies haven't been doubling their manufacturing capacity. They have seen it happen before, and it's always the same pattern: a big jump in sales, and then a drop-off to more normal levels.

Which is why it has nothing to do with muzzle brakes or anything else the marketing geniuses of the Campfire can come up with. And my bet is that Ruger will indeed be offering more left-handed American Rifles, now that demand for semiauto handguns is finally dropping off enough so they can make other stuff.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm just making a general comment and it is not specific to Ruger although it does affect them. I've been a gun nut for a long time but I haven't bought a rifle for the last couple years purely due to the ammo and reloading components shortages. Nor have I been able to enjoy taking my kids out to shoot for the same reasons. Myself as well as many of my friends don't shoot our rim fires because it's such a hassle to replace the ammo. My favorite 22-250 factory ammo by Hornady I haven't seen on a store shelf in over two years. I would really like to buy a new Ruger 77 Hawkeye Predator in 6.5 Creedmore, but have any of you tried to find 6.5 bullets the last year or two? So no point in buying what I can't shoot. Heck I never thought I'd do this, but I've all but hung up my guns and have been wearing out my fishing poles. It keeps me out doors without all the hassle...and this from a guy that rarely thought about anything other than hunting and shooting for the last 40 years.

Is it Friday yet?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
787 members (163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 77 invisible), 3,196 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,708
Posts18,400,128
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.