Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Don't know where you're looking, but right now Midway lists 23 different 6.5mm bullets as "available" for ordering, everything from basic hunting bullets to long-range to super-premiums. The brands include Barnes, Berger, Hornady, Lapua, North Fork, Nosler, Sierra, Speer and Woodliegh.

I've also bought quite a bit of rimfire ammo at "normal" prices over the past several months, both on the Internet and from local stores. Right now one local store has a pile of bricks of .22 Short hollow-points for sale, but I have plenty already.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
BP-B2

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Generally, the firearms industry, like the airlines, are one-horse games; they are not diversified. Any downturn in sales can not be offset by sales in another sector. Ruger (and S&W) do take in outside work to use their machinery and, design and material expertise, thus giving a limited amount of diversification.

Last edited by djs; 07/31/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John, I looked for 6.5 bullets in Great Falls at Scheels, Big Bear, and BigR. Then also checked Sportsmans Warehouse in Helena. When I was in Billings 6 months ago I tried Cabelas, they didn't have squat for anything. I was in Utah last week and checked the mega-sized Scheels and Sportsmans warehouse down there. Couldn't find the 6mm or 6.5 bullets I wanted. As for Hornady Superformance 22-250 I have not seen it on a shelf anywhere for 2 years. I'm not a big fan of the mail order thing but may have to compromise.

Is it Friday yet?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's interesting about the Helena SW. I picked up two boxes of 6mm 95-grain Ballistic Silvertips (the black-and-silver version of the legendary 95-grain Ballistic Tip) earlier this month. But then I am probably in there more often.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I got a bit of R-22 today in Helena-- nothing to do with Ruger. I did look at several Ruger American rifles that were on sale for a steal, but I am a lefty, and I can't see buying another rh gun, especially in a light, fast-handling rifle. I hope they do start tooling up some lefty Americans soon.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You do have to be a little more creative these days, but there is stuff out there; maybe not exactly what you want, but enough to keep you going. Online is definitely the place to start looking and saves you time and gas.

I've bought bullets, brass, and powder for my new .243. Bullets were purchased locally and from Grafs; powder, locally; brass from Amazon and Grafs. I've got a brick of RWS .22 LR SSHPs on the way right now.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have not seen it myself, and my newest gun is a Hawkeye that is a work of art, but my last gun shop visit the owner mentioned a drop in the quality of Ruger's interior fit and finish.

A result of being busy, or a drop in standards due to bean counting, or just one man's opinion?

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Siskiyous6
I have not seen it myself, and my newest gun is a Hawkeye that is a work of art, but my last gun shop visit the owner mentioned a drop in the quality of Ruger's interior fit and finish.

A result of being busy, or a drop in standards due to bean counting, or just one man's opinion?
Just his dumbass opinion. I have several Model 77 Hawkeyes ranging from very late production to first year for that iteration and Model 77 MKIIs from the last year of production going to 20 years old. If there's a "difference" in quality, I'd like to hear some specifics.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This guy sells a lot of guns, I think he was talking about the semi auto pistols.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This guy sells a lot of guns, I think he was talking about the semi auto pistols.
Even then, it's still anecdotal information; i.e, his dumbass opinion.

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I saw a stainless synthetic mini 14 on the shelf of a LGS this week for $1k. Dont know if that is the dealer trying to gouge or just his standard mark up on what Ruger is charging for a mini these days. If that is reflective of Rugers cost, their sales could be down due to superior AR's flooding the market at substantially lower prices.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My Hawkeye predator, while not the slickest rifle I have, is neatly inletted, has a nice 2-stage trigger, and using ammo loaded for something else, grouped very nicely. I haven't touched a thing yet. I am very satisfied. A little moly grease slicked it up quite a bit, and when I get around to pulling it apart, I will do a little polishing.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The population is growing slowly and only a portion of it hunts/shoots. Unless the rest of us keep buying lots of guns, the downward trend will continue.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I will tell you I have done my part to increase the stock
I love Colts and Smiths

But I am sure I shoot Rugers (and buy many) more than anything

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bricktop

Just his dumbass opinion. I have several Model 77 Hawkeyes ranging from very late production to first year for that iteration and Model 77 MKIIs from the last year of production going to 20 years old. If there's a "difference" in quality, I'd like to hear some specifics.

Ah, old ruger slut again.

Actually other than politics and a run at a long range rifle that sucked for accuracy, not all that bad.

But the last 2 hawkeyes friends have bought were NOT good in the accuracy department at all. Around 2 inches or so at 100 yards. There is no denying the 2 at our deer lease were not up to par at all on the accuracy side. Which is a shame, I've seen some fairly accurate rugers over the years.

RE fit and finish was not bad at all though, very acceptable as far as I was concerned.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most folks can only have so many guns

Then they stop for a while...

Now Ammo

You tend to burn that up

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
At some point things have to level off. Over the past couple of years I've picked up more Rugers (new) than other makes. They came out with 3 models that I really liked:

SP101 4.2" .357
SP101 4.2" .22
77/357

Ruger has a knack for making products that fit folks' desires/needs, are unique, and still have the ability to sell beyond a niche market. That's a tough thing to do.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Bricktop

Ah, old ruger slut again.
They're about the only game in town for an affordable left-handed CRF rifle. I have less tied up in each of my re-barreled Model 77s (a Mark II in 6.5x55mm and a Hawkeye in .257 Roberts, each with a 24-inch Krieger barrel and pillar bedded) than most knuckleheads want for a plain vanilla left-handed Model 70 Winchester in .270 WCF/.30-06 Springfield.

My other Rugers have served me well, too, so I suppose I'll keep buying them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've also bought quite a bit of rimfire ammo at "normal" prices over the past several months, both on the Internet and from local stores. Right now one local store has a pile of bricks of .22 Short hollow-points for sale, but I have plenty already.

John,
You have posted this several times in the past few months. If you wouldn't mind, the next time you see the .22 long rifle rimfire ammo at "normal" prices, and you have all you want/need and are not afraid someone will buy it all, please post a link. Many here would like to see that website as we have heard so much about it.

Never had much use for .22 short hollow-points so that's a non-issue.

Thanks,
Geo

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
At some point things have to level off. Over the past couple of years I've picked up more Rugers (new) than other makes. They came out with 3 models that I really liked:

SP101 4.2" .357
SP101 4.2" .22
77/357

Ruger has a knack for making products that fit folks' desires/needs, are unique, and still have the ability to sell beyond a niche market. That's a tough thing to do.

They're also the only company I'm aware of that has a "talk to the CEO" feature on their website - and a CEO that reads every one. They had a survey asking what folks would like to see to improve the Hawkeye and a second one asking what products Ruger should concentrate on next with a big list of choices - AR styles, 1911's, revolvers, shotguns, etc.

Actually asking people what they want - what a concept! wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
508 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 48 invisible), 2,243 guests, and 1,023 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.