Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I lucked into a medium BGE for a good price and picked it up. Tried it out for the first time last night and could not get the thing to come up to a high temperature like 700. The most I could get it to come up with the metal top wide open and the bottom wide open was about 500. Any ideas I should try? By the way, the pizza (just a take&bake) was edible nonetheless. Also it was missing the ceramic top lid for the stack. Do I need to order one of these or just do without?

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What charcoal are you using? One thing that I found is, if you dump a bag of charcoal in, the smaller pieces will clog the draft holes in the bottom. This happened to me last weekend while low and slow smoking some pork butts. Almost snuffed out completely!

For max heat you need max draft. Pick out medium and large pieces of charcoal and stack them loosely.

Be careful when you lift that lid, it will give an impressive eyebrow singeing fireball once that thing gets rolling! Don't ask me how I know.

I rarely use my ceramic lid. Prefer to have a trickle of smoke come out the top.

The woods and the water recharge my batteries.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Also make sure the opening in your fire box is lined up with the lower vent. Inability to reach high temps almost always has to do with restricted air flow.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is it new or used? Every time I've had any issue with any of my eggs not reaching temp a good cleaning always fixes it. Pull all of the guts out and clean it good. I use the small shop vac ($19 at Wal-Mart) and it makes quick work of it. Make sure to clean the round holes in the firebox and make sure the vent screen is clean.
The ceramic cap allows you to put the cast iron cap out of the elements to prevent it from rusting. Run a strip of gasket material around the lid at the top and the ceramic top will seal better saving more of your lump for the next cook

I once visited a place where BBQ was a verb, Canadian whiskey was the norm and no sweet tea on the menu. Hell on earth for a Southern boy!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No problem for me to hit 700 on my medium. I like to use a chimney to start my lump BTW. The video is a little different than my method but hang in there.I don't use the stack(dryer pipe) but it sure looks like fun. Next time I get into town,...

If you continue to have problems, throw the damn thing in the back of the truck and come out to West Virginia and I'll fix ya right up.

BING COLD BEER & STEAKS.

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I agree on all the above. Only thing I'd add is my thermometer was off by 50-70 deg when it worked. It doesn't work now. Doesn't matter grilling but I used to ruin BBQ before I started using the guru digi q thing. So it's most likely air flow but keep in mind the thermometer failing too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rgramjet
What charcoal are you using? One thing that I found is, if you dump a bag of charcoal in, the smaller pieces will clog the draft holes in the bottom.

http://www.high-que.com/Stainless-H...um-Big-Green-Egg-Grill--66-dia_p_20.html

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kaleb
I agree on all the above. Only thing I'd add is my thermometer was off by 50-70 deg when it worked. It doesn't work now.

Bi-metal therms are generally junk. Go digital

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was using Cowboy lump charcoal. I did just dump the bag in there and there was a lot of little stuff. It may have clogged the vent holes. It was pretty clean before I started. I took all the insides out and none of the holes were clogged or anything. I'll try using some bigger pieces and packing it in loosely. I'm also going to try a chimney starter to get the coals going good. I noticed when I shut all the vents to shut it down the smoke started coming out around the gasket, so I guess I'll have to order a new one of those also.

284luvr: I plan on going with a digital thermometer. What would you recommend? WV is a long way to drive to buy you steaks and beer for you to cook for me. LOL.

Any other tips or tidbits I should follow let me know. I'm a greenhorn with this.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Originally Posted by Kaleb
I agree on all the above. Only thing I'd add is my thermometer was off by 50-70 deg when it worked. It doesn't work now.

Bi-metal therms are generally junk. Go digital

Agree the diqi q quru thing is digital.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
http://store.thebbqguru.com/weborderentry/DigiQ%20DX2

http://store.thebbqguru.com/weborderentry/Pit%20Viper%20%2810%20CFM%20Fan%29

Maybe not the best but that setup works well. When doing brisket for example I load it up set it and never add more fuel or baby set it. Will go 20+ hours.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
After re-reading all the posts, I'm not sure that there is a grate down on the bottom for the charcoal to sit on. I'm going to have to look when I go home. I think I just poured the charcoal right onto the ceramic bottom.

John Wayne
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That could be your air flow problem! wink

Here is a breakdown of the components.

[Linked Image]

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That diagram certainly helps. I'll look when I get home if I have the bottom grate in there. That definitely could be the problem.

John Wayne
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of guys use this unit. I have one and they are very poular.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044FFUMK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheapie digital. I've been using mine for several years.
http://www.amazon.com/CDN-DTQ450X-ProAccurate-Quick-Read-Thermometer/dp/B0021AEAG2

Thermapen, for guys that have $$$$ to burn.Nice unit and overprice when compared to what else is out there.
http://www.amazon.com/Splash-Proof-Super-Fast-Thermapen-Thermometer-Professional/dp/B003P601S2

Last edited by 284LUVR; 07/30/14.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a quick read thermemeter -- although not a therapen. It does fine. Reads in about 5 seconds. I thought I should probably get a dual probe remote thermometer so I would know the temp of the meat and also inside the Egg.

John Wayne
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love my remote. I lay in bed watching TV while stuff is cooking with the damn thing right next to me and still manage to screw things up.

laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will agree that the Thermapen is expensive, maybe not soooo bad when you compare the full specs, accuracy, 3 second read time, NIST-Traceable calibration, etc?? Do cooks need all of that??..maybe, maybe not...I can say having a drawer FULL of different digital and non-digital thermometers, if my Thermapen goes bad tomorrow I will replace it ASAP. They do have excellent customer service and even repaired and upgraded one I broke at no charge. Sign up for their emails and they offer discounts, open box units, etc. They also draw from their mailing list and give one away each month, I can vouch for that because I won one!!

I used a dual probe, wireless Maverick for years with no issues. Switched to the Guru and really enjoy it and I recently acquired a Cyber-Q so now maybe I can screw it up from my deer stand 30 miles away!!! grin

I once visited a place where BBQ was a verb, Canadian whiskey was the norm and no sweet tea on the menu. Hell on earth for a Southern boy!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by duxndogs
Switched to the Guru

You running that on an egg ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

You running that on an egg ?

Yeah, large and an XL

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1minute, 1936M71, 69 invisible), 3,255 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,588
Posts18,454,274
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.