Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by bwinters
Dwayne - nice revolver and set-up. I don't plan to feed it a steady diet of full house loads but is nice to know it can handle it and the occasional overload.

I'm thinking 2400 and a 170 hard cast are in the near future for my gun. If I could only find some 170 gr gas checked hard cast..........

I got into casting last winter. It is easy to get good results with my own cast bullets--far easier than I believed. Why not invest in a mould and a bit of casting equipment? I am now addicted, and for far less than mail-order, I can shoot alloys I want to. Lee makes cheap, decent intro stuff that works well from my experience, but I think they don't have the mould you want. Lyman does, and Saeco has a 180FN, both of which are available at Midway. I started with several Lee moulds because I was sure I was going to screw a mould or two up during the learning curve. It hasn't happened, and I like all of the Lees I have.

I've looked into this a couple times, even have a furnace. My issue is finding lead. I can't seem to find a source locally for wheelweights. Lead prices online aren't that much less than buying ready made bullets.

Where are you sourcing your lead?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
BP-B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've had problems getting a hold of wheel weight too. Patience, and car dealerships have worked out. Their service depts do balancing. I have a connect now, but it took some reaching out.

The ebay route is ok for alloy sometimes, but most think they are selling gold. It is worth it to cast some bullets. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what you can do when you start making your own alloys, casting your own bullets, and getting superb results. As I said, it was easier than I thought it would be. I did and do a lot of research. You can find a lot of good stuff, and answers to many questions, here:

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

In fact, the LA shooting club has a lot of great stuff on their site.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
652 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 58 invisible), 3,135 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,190
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.