Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dave93
A person also has to factor in history, romance, just plain cool factor, the fact that it is easy to put into a standard length action without a bunch of additional cost. The final fact is that it Performs and always has like an '06 or 7x57......it really gets the job done well.

Factor in when you bump into someone out hunting and they ask what you're carrying, and you say 9.3x62 and they either get a confused look on their face ( always rewarding ) or they say " man I love that cartridge or I really want one of those ".

9.3x62......all sides are up, there are no downsides. grin

Excellent post Dave. BTDT. I also always think 5 in the mag and 1 in the pipe powerhouse. Not that it's needed, but it's there. This also reflects my feelings towards the gilt edge accuracy I get from my 9.3: It's not needed, but it's there!! I don't think you can ever have too much of a good thing, but the 9.3x62mm comes pretty damn close..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
BP-B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, the 9.3 is long on cool, short on problems...

DF

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I lucked out several years ago and bought this one off AuctionArms.com for under five hundred bucks. It is so light though I know I am going to get pounded. The main reason I've never fired it. Husqvarna Model 146.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by TheKuskokid; 07/30/14.

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice looking rifle and I really like the Husky.

If it's real light, it will talk to you...

DF

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by TheKuskokid
I lucked out several years ago and bought this one off AuctionArms.com for under five hundred bucks. It is so light though I know I am going to get pounded. The main reason I've never fired it. Husqvarna Model 146.
[Linked Image]

Yeah- that buttplate kinda has 'Ouch' written all over it......

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Originally Posted by TheKuskokid
[Linked Image]

Yeah- that buttplate kinda has 'Ouch' written all over it......

As does the amount of drop in the stock and the narrow looking (from here) comb.

That said, I would be proud to own it! I bet it feels wonderful in the hands and points very naturally.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Phil Shoemaker built a very light weight M-70 9.3x62 with iron sights. As you know, Phil is a noted guide and big bear hunter in AK. His idea, he carries it a lot more than he shoots it.

This Husky is a similar concept and would be good for that application. Adding a scope will up the weight somewhat. I agree with Mark about the drop at the comb. That bothers some a lot more than it does me, but I have a long neck.

Nice gun. Hard to beat a Husky for slick action.

DF

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Gentlemen,

Thank you for the compliments. When I bought it, it had an ancient repair to the wrist. I could see where the action was pounding on the stock, so I bedded everything, including drilling through the wrist into the butt, and inserting a threaded rod surrounded in epoxy. Once done I carefully checked to make sure nothing was touching the rear of the action so it wouldn't act as a wedge.

The stock is slim for sure, it has some cast-off in the stock too. It comes up like a fine shotgun. Balance is just a bit barrel heavy so it feels quick in the hands. I do have a box of Norma 286 grain around somewhere, I need to shoot the thing just to say I've done it. But it is very light, like around six pounds no kidding.

It is unusual in that the action is an m98 and not a Husqvarna version of the m98 or an FN action. Trigger is crisp and it feeds like a dream. So we will see just how bad that buttplate (horn) will feel. smile

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You'd hate to replace that original horn butt plate with a pad...

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Phil Shoemaker built a very light weight M-70 9.3x62 with iron sights. As you know, Phil is a noted guide and big bear hunter in AK. His idea, he carries it a lot more than he shoots it.

This Husky is a similar concept and would be good for that application. Adding a scope will up the weight somewhat. I agree with Mark about the drop at the comb. That bothers some a lot more than it does me, but I have a long neck.

Nice gun. Hard to beat a Husky for slick action.

DF

I remember seeing Phil's rifle in a magazine article and that is about the perfect rifle for any kind of hunting.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
You'd hate to replace that original horn butt plate with a pad...

DF

That's probably the first thing I'd do. A red Pachmayr decelerator would look nice and cut down the pain factor. ...... Immensely!!

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, you'd about have to do the pad if you wanted to make into a shooter.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Tell me about it. I shot my 30-06 fwt with the original aluminum butt plate the other day and I forgot what fun it is shooting it in a t-shirt cry eek

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
A well done pad shouldn't distract from the value of that gun.

For me, it would increase it... grin
\
And it would make it a usable rifle.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Aw hell, grab that rifle like ya got a pair. grin

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Us mere mortals ain't as tough as you, Gunner... shocked

You da Hoss on big kicking rifles... cool

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, just a little thick-headed I'm afraid.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'd do the pad, which would be an opportunity to have an optimal LOP.

Phil had a peep sight on his LW 9.3. That may be an option.

A low powered scope in Talley QD's would be nice if one didn't want to fool with the peep. That would give the opportunity to use the existing irons.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My buddy got a steal on a NOS CZ 550 American at Cabelas they wanted to get rid of.

Found a Mcmillan on their specials page and grabbed it. He got a whim and sent his in to AHR and, man, do they do nice work! We shot it for the first time (post AHR) last Sat. He plans on keeping it open sighted.

It is a flawlessly performing rifle and the work is top notch. I told him he ruined my Remmy 9.3 for me! frown might have to buy a Ruger African or No.1!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's a beautiful CZ. Probably shoots just as good as mine too. Nice rifle!!

BSA MAGA
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
710 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 2,662 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,683
Posts18,399,735
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.