Print Thread
Hop To
D
Draeb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I'm looking at various reticles for an upcoming Leupold scope, and i like the post style ones...but i don't understand how on the German #1 the sharp tip of the post extends above the two lateral lines.

It seems weird to me. Wouldn't it be better if the sharp tip of the post ended in line with the two lateral lines? I mean, aren't you supposed to line up the very tip of the post on target in a six o' clock hold? If so then it's not in line with the lateral lines.

It seems that if you shouldered that reticle quickly on a moving target the eye would naturally want to line up the target in line with the lateral lines, which would make your shot off.....assuming you sighted it in at a 6 o' clock hold.

Last edited by Draeb; 07/30/14.

"The very idea of freedom presupposes some objective moral law that over-arches rulers and ruled alike"- C.S. Lewis
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It is up to the individual eye. I happen to like the #1 the most for woods hunting. Very quick to line up centers and fire on target. It is not a "target" reticle. To me it draws me to the center on a moving target faster than other reticles.

D
Draeb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by smithrjd
It is up to the individual eye. I happen to like the #1 the most for woods hunting. Very quick to line up centers and fire on target. It is not a "target" reticle. To me it draws me to the center on a moving target faster than other reticles.

With that being said, do you use a 6 o clock hold on it?

"The very idea of freedom presupposes some objective moral law that over-arches rulers and ruled alike"- C.S. Lewis
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The best advice I can give is to actually test it at the range. From my own personal testing (Leica #1) the difference on 10x between the center of the tip and the actual tip is about 1.5" at 100 yards.

Not enough to make any real difference in any hunting situation perhaps to 250-300 yards.

Hunt Africa while you can
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have several...I use that tip of the spear the same way one would use a target dot.. just a lot easier to see... I've used them on a varmint rifle with a lot of success... the entire upper half of the scope sight is clear and unobstructed.. so I can see sage rats as they run back and forth, 90 mph then suddenly stop...

it makes for quick target acquisition..

IC B2

S
spj Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
In my Leupold G1 the tip of the post is not above the vertical lines.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
+1 for the Leica #1 for dark woods hunting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
slm9s - my vote goes to the German #4. Like others I could not see the purpose of the #1. Maybe those who've used in in WW2 had a better handle on it. When it's all you have you tend to think better of it. Jus' sayin...Homesteader

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On the two I have the tip is even with the top of the side bars. I put the tip where I want to aim, and haven't had a problem. I strongly prefer this reticle for my hunting, which is always under 200 yd., but most of my friends don't like it.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Youper - best reason for the #1 so far. Tks Homesteader

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well my 7 x 57 has a 6 x 42 mm Leupold with a German # 1 in it, I like it a lot, the only thing that would be maybe better is an Aimpoint sight, its not a paper killing sight, its a big game killing sight or for the Soviets, Germans!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Draeb
I'm looking at various reticles for an upcoming Leupold scope, and i like the post style ones...but i don't understand how on the German #1 the sharp tip of the post extends above the two lateral lines.

It seems weird to me. Wouldn't it be better if the sharp tip of the post ended in line with the two lateral lines? I mean, aren't you supposed to line up the very tip of the post on target in a six o' clock hold? If so then it's not in line with the lateral lines.

It seems that if you shouldered that reticle quickly on a moving target the eye would naturally want to line up the target in line with the lateral lines, which would make your shot off.....assuming you sighted it in at a 6 o' clock hold.

I use the Nazi reticle in a 2-7X33. But I'm not seeing what you describe.

[Linked Image]

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's designed for fast shooting at close range in dim light. The lines are bold so you can see them easily and you put the tip where you want the bullet to go. I've never seen one where the tip was noticeably higher than the cross lines. It is not intended for precision target shooting.

Last edited by natman; 08/01/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That German #1 is set up the way it is should be for that fast shooting.

Here's a post and crosshair setup that took me a while to get used to. Like the #1, you're supposed to put the tip of the post on the target and the crosshair is there to give you a horizontal reference (I guess). But the way it's set up your eye is drawn to the intersection of the post and crosshair. Until you train yourself to look at the tip of the post you'll shoot high every time when aiming quickly.

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
D
Draeb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
That German #1 is set up the way it is should be for that fast shooting.

Here's a post and crosshair setup that took me a while to get used to. Like the #1, you're supposed to put the tip of the post on the target and the crosshair is there to give you a horizontal reference (I guess). But the way it's set up your eye is drawn to the intersection of the post and crosshair. Until you train yourself to look at the tip of the pos
t you'll shoot high every time when aiming quickly.

[Linked Image]

I have that same reticle in an old Weaver. I agree that if you shoot fast the shots have a tendency to be high because of the lateral lines being lower than post...that's the design I just don't get.

I initially saw an older thread here that showed what was supposed to be a chart showing all the Leup reticles, and on that chart the German #1 was similar to the above Weaver one, but with fatter post and lateral lines...but the post still stood proud of the lines...but it sounds like a few guys here actually have the Leup with German #1 and apparently the post tip planes out with the lines- which makes more sense and what I wanted. Thanks for the pics guys, now I know I definitely want the #1 from Leup.

I guess that chart I saw showing the reticles was inaccurate.

S
spj Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Give it a try, you will like it. If not send it back to Luepold and for $60 or so dollars change it out. I shoot sub minute groups with mine with ease, I don't find it any harder than a plex, just have to tailor your target. I use about a 1 minute dot as a target.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The German #1 I had in my Leupold 4X did not have the tip of the vertical post above the horizontal bars. It was in line with the top edges of them.
The very best design for low light, fast shooting. The only design I know of that's faster is the tactical circle one Leupold uses in their 1.25-4X, VX-R Patrol. But only when set at 1.25X. At 4X, the #1 is at least as fast.
It is alot more useful for precision shooting than many would think. You simply put a small target dot on top of the vertical post and go to it.
It is, however of limited usefulness at the longer ranges. The posts on the one I had in my 4X were about 9 MOA wide in their thick sections. E

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

338 members (1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 29 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,452
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.