Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Not sure if this is appropriate on here. Do you guys ever take things over for the kids. I'm hunting So Africa I think the Limpopo area but I've never been there and don't know if it's appropriate to bring something for the local kids, school, what ever? If so what kinds of things and where do you get them. I feel like I'm reaching to go on this hunt but the truth is what we consider the minimum is way more than a lot of folks around the world. I've been to a couple of areas where people are poor and I think we have a responsibility to step up and share if we can. I have no idea if we will even be around the village or not. I don't know if you hunt all day every day or how schedules go.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes sir, I believe that most of us who go regularly do.

My favorite things to take them are candy and inflatable soccer balls.

If you want to ask the advice of your PH, he can likely share local insider info on any special needs with you.

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I did, and we took candy and clothes as well. I also took some gifts to the PH, I had a small Leatherman's, flashlight & a shirt for him. My PH was fantastic, and got me some great animals. Too bad I can't say that about the Taxidermist. If you want to read about my nightmare, please take a look at this:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...oblems_with_Highveld_Taxider#Post8922065

Don't make the same mistakes I did. Do your homework and get your stuff done in the US.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
In the past I have taken deflated soccer balls and Frisbees. The kids really love them. Don't forget the air pin for the soccer ball. There are hand pumps everywhere, maybe in the bakkie you will be riding in. I normally am not big on spending lots of money on my clothing, t-shirt and shorts maybe some long pants. These items plus knit caps, and gloves are let behind for the camp, even if they only use the material for patches. For the older, family men of the camp, a rechargeable flashlight was a valued gift.

BigBullet
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness.

https://www.facebook.com/Natal-Outfitters-195443607135825/
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We were going to take a SCI Blue Bag to the local school, but decided we had enough to worry about getting ourselves and our luggage ready, so we didn't take one. My wife's company was going to donate money, but they failed to get the cheque ready before we left. Not sure if they've mailed it to the school?

We saw many tribal schools in our travels. Seems like the kids are only in school 3-4 hours a day max. Very sad. No wonder there are literacy problems in the RSA.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For our Kilimanjaro climb we took clothes donated by CCPOA, I also left shoes, knit caps, gloves, etc that I had not originally planned to leave.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
We usually don't bring kid stuff because the areas we have hunted there haven't been any kids around. We do always leave as much of our stuff as we can spare like clothes, boots, knives, etc. Ask your PH what is appropriate.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Lots of kids here in your own country can use some support.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Yes....I took about 20 pair of knock off Crocs, all sizes and colors.....I also took lots of coloring books, colors, paint books, paints and other stuff for the kids....The presents were very well received and you will not believe how poor those people are....take stuff....trust me.....

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
and I hunted Limpopo too.....

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We took hard candy and deflated soccer balls (with a cheap ball pump) for the local school kids.

Also left socks, gloves, t-shirts, hats, disposable razors, shampoo, etc. for the camp staff in RSA. The biggest hit with the PH was a pack of baby wipes. After seeing how handy they were for clean-up, etc, he was very happy to have them for his bakkie. Other huge hit was zip-ties. I took some for attaching tags to horns and hides and left the extras.

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is a great idea. When I get to Africa I'll be sure to take stuff to give out.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Opinion based on just one safari.
Take less clothes for yourself, camp staff will probably hand wash your clothes daily. This leaves room to take extra clothes to give away. When I go back I will pack two hunting outfits, one pair of town clothes, and fill the rest of the duffel with clothes I could wear if needed but plan on leaving there. I left them all my socks none of our trackers had socks but all took the pairs I gave them.Hats were a big hit I brought over a bunch of camo hats with company logos I had been given.
Take deflated soccer balls and needles, and individually wrapped candy for the kids we tossed handfuls of candy to them from the high racks just throw it behind the truck as they will run in front of a moving car for candy.
I don't smoke but most of the Africans we encountered did. Most rolled their own with trash paper and getting a store bought cig was a big deal. When I go back I will buy a case of cigarettes at duty free in the airport to give packs to the camp staff and trackers as a daily thank you.
I will also exchange my US dollars to local currency to give tips with. I tipped in dollars and they were appreciative but it seemed they didn't know what exactly I was giving them and they all gave their tips to the ph who I was told would exchange the currency and give it back.
I am tempted to bring a few decent pairs of used, or mid priced binocs to give to the trackers, to have binocs was a status symbol and these guys can spot game amazingly well without glass give them glass and it is almost supernatural.
I will also pay what ever additional baggage fees the airlines can come up with and bring an SCI Blue bag
Good luck on your Safari

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Huntingfool270
Opinion based on just one safari.
Take less clothes for yourself, camp staff will probably hand wash your clothes daily. This leaves room to take extra clothes to give away. When I go back I will pack two hunting outfits, one pair of town clothes, and fill the rest of the duffel with clothes I could wear if needed but plan on leaving there. I left them all my socks none of our trackers had socks but all took the pairs I gave them.Hats were a big hit I brought over a bunch of camo hats with company logos I had been given.
Take deflated soccer balls and needles, and individually wrapped candy for the kids we tossed handfuls of candy to them from the high racks just throw it behind the truck as they will run in front of a moving car for candy.
I don't smoke but most of the Africans we encountered did. Most rolled their own with trash paper and getting a store bought cig was a big deal. When I go back I will buy a case of cigarettes at duty free in the airport to give packs to the camp staff and trackers as a daily thank you.
I will also exchange my US dollars to local currency to give tips with. I tipped in dollars and they were appreciative but it seemed they didn't know what exactly I was giving them and they all gave their tips to the ph who I was told would exchange the currency and give it back.
I am tempted to bring a few decent pairs of used, or mid priced binocs to give to the trackers, to have binocs was a status symbol and these guys can spot game amazingly well without glass give them glass and it is almost supernatural.
I will also pay what ever additional baggage fees the airlines can come up with and bring an SCI Blue bag
Good luck on your Safari

Check with your PH about the currency for the tips.

If you tip in Rands (or whatever), they may disappear until the money is spent, which could leave the next group hunting with the PH in the lurch.

Giving the tip in US or Canadian $ allows the PH to pay out in Rands when days off are scheduled. Trust your PH who knows his staff better than you.

Alcohol plays a huge role in a lot African's lives. They could go on a bender until that money is gone. My tracker we picked up miles from no wheres on our way to the camp. Even though he had walked miles and miles, he was still half drunk and was only 3 days late getting back to camp.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

409 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 42 invisible), 2,884 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,580
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.