Print Thread
Hop To
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
The buck pronghorn tag my son drew in Wyoming is in an area that is pock-marked w/ public and I am thinking that now may be the time to invest in a GPS/Chip combo. I'd like to keep it as inexpensive as possible while still getting the functionality.

I've never researched GPSs and was hoping to see less expense involved than what I did while at Cabela's the other night so suggestions/opinions based upon experience would be helpful. I am not a tech guy AT ALL, but I have an IPad w/ AT&T 3-G and I wonder if that'd work for us?

Thanks,

Efw

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Personally I always thought a GPS was useful for nothing more than instant "re-section" using a map, or maybe following a bread-crumb trail back to camp in the dark but I learned to read a map extremely well on the taxpayer's dime.

Having said that, a unit with a screen and that BLM/landowner software could be quite useful, for sure. But for other than that, I don't see it as being useful to me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do you still use a slide rule too?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Eric,
I have a Garmin Oregon and the HuntingGPSmaps.com WY chip. The chip is very much worth it! I was lucky enough to receive the chip as a gift, but would buy it for even one hunting trip to WY had I not. Not only does it show the private and public boundaries, it lists the owner's names of private sections. The Oregon is a rock solid unit. Search for re-man units. Sometimes Garmin has them on their site. Other vendors list the re-man units as well.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Also, buy the chip, not the download. If your GPS dies and needs to get replaced it's much easier to pop out the chip and put it in another unit.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Eric...pm sent

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bobcape
Also, buy the chip, not the download. If your GPS dies and needs to get replaced it's much easier to pop out the chip and put it in another unit.

Bob

Or download to a chip wink like I did grin

I think modern gps technology would scare old squats to pee to death...geez we actually use it to build roads and bridges....scary chit!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I see the huntinggpsmap version has an update system, something the Garmin version I bought at Cabelas a few years ago doesn't seem to have. I contacted Garmin and got no response so I guess they don't update the chips

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
For ares that aren't clearly marked Huntingmapsgps is a lifesaver. It allowed me to hunt an area I wouldn't dream of hunting without the chip in CO last year. The rancher isn't required to mark property lines and hunters are responsible for not crossing the lines, with the chip and GPS tracks you can prove you stayed on public land. Their service is excellent and I like the chip better than download as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After you buy a chip spend some time at gpsfiledepot.com. Learn to download maps, use garmin basecamp, even create your own maps to upload to your gps. Good skills to have and you will save money over the long haul.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by eh76
Do you still use a slide rule too?

Only if I decided to play engineer in the middle of a roadless area:)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bobcape
Eric,
I have a Garmin Oregon and the HuntingGPSmaps.com WY chip. The chip is very much worth it! I was lucky enough to receive the chip as a gift, but would buy it for even one hunting trip to WY had I not. Not only does it show the private and public boundaries, it lists the owner's names of private sections. The Oregon is a rock solid unit. Search for re-man units. Sometimes Garmin has them on their site. Other vendors list the re-man units as well.

Bob

I use a Garmin 62S with the HuntingGPSmaps.com WY chip. Works well!

Eric

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Bought the chip with a Garmin 62 back in 2012, and just updated it a half hour ago through the download option. The chip, and the downloads are worth every penny. Especially in Colorado where the private land as mentioned previously doesn't need to be posted for a trespass charge. My only regret is that I didn't purchase a GPS with a large window for my aging eyes.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,832 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,488
Posts18,452,058
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.