Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm testing the waters of getting my first AR-15. Local guns shop has Colt LE6920 for $1100.

Google searches indicate that this is pretty decent AR-15. I'd appreciate any feedback you guys can provide on this particular model?

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
look back into this forum, someone posted a link at $949, 4 mags and a carhartt jacket.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the 6920 is a great ar 15 however its over priced for what you get IMO. there is a crowd here that says get colt, everything but colt sucks. The problem with that gun is its pretty darn basic and comes with a trigger your going to want to change out and probably other things too. and if you don't feel that way you don't do much shooting and the milspec stuff that everyone claims is so great about a colt isn't going to come into play anyways, so if thats that case just buy a cheaper gun.

if I wasn't going to build a gun and just wanted something off the shelf I would look at the RRA operator 3. its got a workable trigger, free float handguard, maybe a chromed bolt carrier, not sure on that though. the RRA stock might also be better depending on which one the 6920 comes with. just my .02

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
there is a crowd here that says get colt, everything but colt sucks.

A crowd huh? By all means CC, post quotes from the "crowd" that say everything but Colt sucks.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What
Originally Posted by leomort
I'm testing the waters of getting my first AR-15. Local guns shop has Colt LE6920 for $1100.

Google searches indicate that this is pretty decent AR-15. I'd appreciate any feedback you guys can provide on this particular model?

What are you wanting to do with it?

$1100 is $150 too high.

IC B2

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Bluedreaux,

Want to try my hand at High power at my local sportsman club. Plus nice to pull double duty as home defense.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd add a light for HD, but otherwise it'll be very serviceable for that role.

I think you'll be terribly frustrated with it for HP though. Rough trigger, tiny sight radius, chrome lined-non floated-lightweight barrel. But if you're not wanting to be super competitive in HP, it'll let you play.

You can't get more opposite than HD and HP, so ONE gun is gonna be pretty sucky for either of the applications.

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Bluedreaux,

Thank you for the feedback. I may have to take a step back and re-assess this.

When I was talking to one of the guys who does high power match, he said all I need was an AR-15. Unfortunately, I did not inquire further as to what type/style of AR15, lol!

I just started google searching for what are some good AR-15s. Me bad!

I'm also trying to get involved in IDPA at same club, so I think I'll put this AR-15 high power on back burner for awhile until I can better educate myself.

I was surprised to learn that a good AR-15 is around the same price of a good 1911, unlike a good over-under shotgun which can be much more $$$$!

Thank you again! You just saved my some $$$ and mistaken tool for wrong job!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
leo, most of us started with an ar 15 that we thought we wanted. The problem then is that you learn how much fun they are to work on and tinker with. At that point the gun you bought probably bears no resemblance to what you started with. it will probably have a fancy free float tube, an upgraded trigger, the sky is the limit.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
leomort,

If you are looking for a home defense and 3 gun rifle, the le6920 is great. If you are looking for a high power rifle, the Colt AR15A4 is what you would want in the Colt line up. This would be a better HP rifle, but would still not be what you really want. For a dedicated HP rifle, something from Rock River Arms or White Oak Precision is probably what you are looking for. You need to decide what the primary purpose of the rifle will be. Both types of rifle can do either job, but they are more suited to one or the other.

Last edited by ar15a292f; 08/01/14.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A 6920 will suck balls for 3Gun slightly less than for HP, but he'll be in the same ball sucking situation.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
leo, most of us started with an ar 15 that we thought we wanted. The problem then is that you learn how much fun they are to work on and tinker with. At that point the gun you bought probably bears no resemblance to what you started with. it will probably have a fancy free float tube, an upgraded trigger, the sky is the limit.

Hmm, what have I changed out on mine?

optics
trigger
stock
freefloat handguard
gasblock
buffer weight
charging handle

Yes, they really do change.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
For the most part, everything that is changed out on a 6920, is done for personal preference. A box stock 6920 is a good base to build from or run as is and change parts only as you progress as a shooter for a carbine, it is not a HP rifle and never will be.

A stock 6920 and 1000 rounds of ammo will do more for a new shooter than a trigger, float tube or buffer system will.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
your just part of the "crowd" grin

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I am the "crowd" wink

Just how much extra can you gain with a trigger and float tube on a chrome lined 1.5 MOA barrel anyway? At least the Colt is gassed right, has a good extractor and spring and will run out of the box. The 1.5 MOA accuracy is good enough for a new shooter and will get them off the bench and into shooting offhand or other field positions.

Lots of folks post pictures of 3 shots around a half inch from the bench and think that's all they need. Get em away from the bench and they can't hold minute of barn. Let someone run a thousand rounds learning what a carbean is for and then let them decide what they need vs what they want.

Granted, I like a longer tube to place my hand out further and a good trigger helps hitting plates at 600 yards but I haven't forgot how to run a stock carbean. If high power is what you want then get a gun more suitable for that, RR makes a great starter gun but trying to fill both roles with one gun is a compromise on either end.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's the truth. I've seen lots of guys with $2500 in gun and optic that couldn't hit 12x24 targets standing at 50 yards, and couldn't hit the same targets at 100 without going prone.

I used to be one of them (I didn't have $2500 in gear, but it wouldn't have helped anyway). Then I stopped buying gear and started buying ammo. And I stopped just "going shooting" and started actually practicing and training.

I've got a friend that shows up every month with new optics and guns. But he has no idea how they shoot because ammo is too expensive.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TWR
I am the "crowd" wink

Just how much extra can you gain with a trigger and float tube on a chrome lined 1.5 MOA barrel anyway? At least the Colt is gassed right, has a good extractor and spring and will run out of the box. The 1.5 MOA accuracy is good enough for a new shooter and will get them off the bench and into shooting offhand or other field positions.

Lots of folks post pictures of 3 shots around a half inch from the bench and think that's all they need. Get em away from the bench and they can't hold minute of barn. Let someone run a thousand rounds learning what a carbean is for and then let them decide what they need vs what they want.

Granted, I like a longer tube to place my hand out further and a good trigger helps hitting plates at 600 yards but I haven't forgot how to run a stock carbean. If high power is what you want then get a gun more suitable for that, RR makes a great starter gun but trying to fill both roles with one gun is a compromise on either end.

having a good trigger and shooting off shooting sticks is a big deal. if I am shooting a crappy mil spec trigger against say my geissele, my bench accuracy and shooting stick accuracy, my accuracy while bracing against say my open truck door out in the desert is going to be twice as good across the board with a 3# trigger vs say an 8#+ gritty milspec. yes its a big deal. a free float tube makes for such a neat and clean look for the gun. it also allows attaching lights and other things. I can take an $8 weaver ring out of my parts bin stick a light in the thing and I have a light attached.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Taking a look in my safe I have 3 AR's left from a whole slew of combinations I've tried. I have nothing stock left in there, I do appreciate a good trigger (Geisselle and even a RR 2 stage) and a free float tube (my pick is the 13" Troy Alpha).

But I found that a well used stock trigger (they tend to smooth out after several hundred rounds) can be just as accurate as can a non floated hand guard, you just have to pay attention, that's where shooting comes in. I've shot sub half inch groups with a stock Colt HBAR time and again and killed more than a few coyotes off sticks with same.

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you everyone for the feedback! I believe the sportsman club is also trying to get 3-gun competition going there as well!

Can you guys recommend some AR-15s so I can take a look at them and get an idea of what is needed?

What about Stag's 3G? They said it's specifically set up for high power. But I don't know anything about Stag's quality, etc.?

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
I dont do 3 gun so cant help you with that but if you want a colt for home defense or to build off of, PSA has the 6720 for $800 shipped. That's the cheapest I've seen a colt since Bush was in office. Now is definitely the time to buy an AR. They are at basement prices across the board.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...ar-15-5-56nato-16-carbine-pencil-barrel/

I made this same gun from a 6520 by switching out the A2 receiver for a flat top. I think this is better semi auto rifle than the 6920. Its lighter and handles better imo. The extra barrel weight from the 6920 is not really useful for a civilian as the wrong end of the barrel is thicker and I'd bet you have zero use for the m203 cutouts.

Last edited by ValorsMinion; 08/02/14.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

449 members (22kHornet, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 37 invisible), 1,931 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,401
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.