-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I'm going to be getting a Brittany soon, and I've never really had a bird dog before. The breeder who I'll be getting him from gives a bit of lessons but I was wondering if there is also a good book to read that could help me train when I'm on my own.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wolters "Gun Dogs" or "Game Dog" are good places to start.

Rick Smith is pretty amazing too. Maybe get one of his video's.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Be aware that many Brittanys are sensitive with a big drive to please, a little correction goes a long way. YMMV, they are all individuals, but start off gently.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
http://www.gundogsupply.com/poindogvid.html#

There are some great DVDs here at a great price

BORN to HUNT
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Primal_Phil
I'm going to be getting a Brittany soon, and I've never really had a bird dog before. The breeder who I'll be getting him from gives a bit of lessons but I was wondering if there is also a good book to read that could help me train when I'm on my own.

Delmar Smith is the premier Brittany guru on the planet. His book "Best Way to Train Your Gun Dog" is the pick of the litter. Both he and his son Rick have vids out now too.

NB

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Natty_Bumpo

Delmar Smith is the premier Brittany guru on the planet. His book "Best Way to Train Your Gun Dog" is the pick of the litter. Both he and his son Rick have vids out now too.

NB

Good advise. ^
I've been to a couple of Rick's seminar's but I'd forgotten that his old man "wrote the book" on Brittany's. I'd definitely get ahold of one of his books.

The old Wolters books should be on every dog man's book shelf too though.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Now being new to gun dogs, Do I HAVE to send mine to one of those month long stays and have them trained by a pro? 600 is steep for me since the pup is going to be in the 700-1000 range. Im weighing my options BEFORE I get the pup so I want to see if I can do it myself.

In regards to Brittanies being sensitive, I think I'll be ok there. I have 2 collies that I've worked with and trained and them are probably the most sensitive dogs I've ever met.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Now being new to gun dogs, Do I HAVE to send mine to one of those month long stays and have them trained by a pro? 600 is steep for me since the pup is going to be in the 700-1000 range. Im weighing my options BEFORE I get the pup so I want to see if I can do it myself.

In a word: NO!

Get a good book or two and follow the advice. Bob Wehle's "Wing and Shot" is another classic and well worth running down. Both of these books are still in print which tells you a lot right there. They work for regular folks and their gundogs.

NB

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Don't wait to start reading until you get the pup.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

In regards to Brittanies being sensitive, I think I'll be ok there. I have 2 collies that I've worked with and trained and them are probably the most sensitive dogs I've ever met.

First of all I doubt ou will get many 'reputable' trainers to take a green dog for a month. Personally I don't take a 'pup' until it is 7 mo. minimum. the pup must have basic training(sit, stay, down and come) and I will not take it for less than 3 mos. Most trainers I know have similar requirements. If you are already experienced to some extent with basic dog training and get a good DVD and book, there is no reason you cant do the job your self successfully. If you put in the work you will have something that no trainer can teach a dog, you will have that certain bond with your dog that only time and trust can instill. Another plus would be to join your local pointing dog or versatile club, there will be many experienced owners who will be happy to help you with problems as they arise. Good luck, have fun and enjoy the ride.

BORN to HUNT
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I second the Wolter's books; I used "Game Dog" and "Water dog" to train my retrievers (I've never trained a pointer....yet), and they came out well.
As for sending off a dog to a professional: I don't know what you are expecting, but if you are just looking for a hunting companion, I say do it yourself. I trained all my dogs (1 American water spaniel, 2 Chesapeakes, and a Labrador) myself....what I wanted was a dog that would 1.) find birds within gun range 2.) flush said birds 3.) retrieve to hand the birds that were shot and 4.) retrieve ducks to hand that were shot and 6.) do their best to recover cripples.
So far, I haven't been disappointed....I have made mistakes (my first dog had a bit of a hard mouth), but I learned from them. You will need to invest TIME, however.....if not, you will send them to a pro and invest money. It doesn't take much time, but it does take some time. It will also take some investment into items like: bumpers, starter pistols, pigeons, etc, etc.
....but over all, I would say that I got just as much out of the time invested as the dog did, so it was a win-win situation all the way around.

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I already have a couple of books on order now. Which DVD is a good recommendation? I've decided that I will try myself and join http://www.coloradogundog.org/ and work with my dog there. I also read that you can train with pigeons early on and there are millions of ring necks at my in laws which I can trap and shoot all I want. At first I felt like it might be a bit difficult or overwhelming but the responses I've gotten so far seem to make it sound like it'd be much more fun and rewarding to try it on my own. Thanks for all the advice!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 16gauge
I second the Wolter's books; I used "Game Dog" and "Water dog" to train my retrievers (I've never trained a pointer....yet), and they came out well.
As for sending off a dog to a professional: I don't know what you are expecting, but if you are just looking for a hunting companion, I say do it yourself. I trained all my dogs (1 American water spaniel, 2 Chesapeakes, and a Labrador) myself....what I wanted was a dog that would 1.) find birds within gun range 2.) flush said birds 3.) retrieve to hand the birds that were shot and 4.) retrieve ducks to hand that were shot and 6.) do their best to recover cripples.
So far, I haven't been disappointed....I have made mistakes (my first dog had a bit of a hard mouth), but I learned from them. You will need to invest TIME, however.....if not, you will send them to a pro and invest money. It doesn't take much time, but it does take some time. It will also take some investment into items like: bumpers, starter pistols, pigeons, etc, etc.
....but over all, I would say that I got just as much out of the time invested as the dog did, so it was a win-win situation all the way around.

While I agree those are both good books, they are for flushing retrievers and waterfowl dogs where as the OP needs something for 'versatile pointing dogs'. Training a pointing dog is a art all to it's self. I am a flushing retriever gundog trainer and would not want to try to coach someone training a pointing dog( although I have worked with pointing retrievers on the retrieve aspect. I'm sure the OP could get some value out of Water Dog if he intends to use his Brit as a small water retriever, the Wolters book he should be using is Gundog. It is geared toward the pointing breeds.

This would be a good DVD to have IMO
http://www.gundogsupply.com/gundogdvd.html

BORN to HUNT
T
TJO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I'd echo recommendations re Delmer Smith's book and newer Smith DVDs.

Also, one of the best versatile dog books out there is the NAVHDA (N American Versatile Hunting Dog Assoc) training book. http://navhdastore.org. If you read one book, it should be the NAVHDA training book.

I found the above and Bob West's articles to be THE MOST USEFUL of anything I ever read when I had brittanies. For some reason Wolter's approach never resonated with me.

Good luck with the Brit - they are a wonderful bird and family dog if you do your job too.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I am not sure if it is still in print, but the pointing dog book by Kenneth Roebuck is a great resource. I trained an English Springer spaniel and two.Boykins with his flushing dog book and had three great dogs that would hunt under real conditions as well as be competitive in hunt tests and the timed pheasant events. My buddy trained his Britt with the pointing dog book and she was the only pointing dog that I wanted to own. Not stirring the pot, I just prefer flushing dogs.Enjoy your pup.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

I don't know much about training upland dogs but having run retriever HT and FT for 10 years I can say Wolters books are GARBAGE.

Last edited by LostHighway; 08/06/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LostHighway
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

I don't know much about training upland dogs but having run retriever HT and FT for 10 years I can say Wolters books are GARBAGE.

Well,, I ran amature FT's for about 15yrs and I can tell you first hand that if a guy will follow his methods to the letter he'll come away with a dam good meat dog 99% of the time.
Allot of times the heavy handed woa post/force fetch methods used by Field Trialer's trying to get those "FC" letters in the AKC books so they can charge more for pups are just as likely to ruin what probably would have been a good hunting companion as not.

I guess it all depends on one's goals and experience level but for the average Joe just wanting to go hunting with a good dog that he trained (which I get the impression the OP is) Wolters methods will work fine. (IMO) But, like everything else, you gotta stick with it.
And that's from someone who's actually done it, not just parroted what I've heard or read on the interweb. (Not directed at anyone in particular.)

I'm not saying his books arte the be all, end all to dog training but to say they're "garbage" simply isn't true.

PS,,, Foxton is right about not using "Water Dog" to train a Pointer. That's why he wrote three different books.

Last edited by FieldGrade; 08/09/14.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by oznog
I am not sure if it is still in print, but the pointing dog book by Kenneth Roebuck is a great resource. I trained an English Springer spaniel and two.Boykins with his flushing dog book and had three great dogs that would hunt under real conditions as well as be competitive in hunt tests and the timed pheasant events. My buddy trained his Britt with the pointing dog book and she was the only pointing dog that I wanted to own. Not stirring the pot, I just prefer flushing dogs.Enjoy your pup.

Truer words were never spoken, I recommend his "Gundog Training Spaniels" book and Video to all who ask my opinion on a resource
for training a flushing retriever of any breed. Roebuck was a great trainer with good "old school" British methods and had a very good way of getting them across to others.

BORN to HUNT

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (Algotguns, Akhutr, Bama_Sleeper, 10Glocks, 7x57Hunter, batch, 10 invisible), 1,535 guests, and 855 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,228
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.