Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
All the details are here http://www.starrflight.com/. But with me my arrows fly a bit better especially in the wind. It takes about five seconds to put one on so no more downtime fletching/refletching. The only negatives I can see are fobs can get torn up if you are stacking arrows on a target but you have the same problem with fletching. And they look different but that doesn't really bother me.

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
On a pass through, the FOB is pulled out of the arrow with the nock, and marks the point of impact.

I didn't see much difference with them, if the bow was tuned right, the steering gear didn't make a noticable difference for me. I didn't like the nock being pulled out, it tended to loosen the nock in the shaft over time.

You are somewhat limited on your arrow rest options, and need a large opening for a containment rest for the FOB to pass through.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks for the fob info.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I don't think they are a bad idea, you just have to approach the investment with both eyes open, and acknowledge the requirements/limits on the system.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
What the heck is that thing on the back end? Its gotta whistle in flight. At least I'd think so. Unless the cage around the outside kills some of that noise like a flat metal strip will help with prop noise on an airboat.

But that thing just looks like noise to me.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
It does make noise, but I was told to STFU when I raised the comment a couple years ago on here. Mine were the loudest of the arrows I was shooting at the time.

It's noisy, but not much more than the NAP Twisters or Speed fletches.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
since an arrow is slower than speed of sound, no matter if 180 or 320....

Noise is always an issue in flight.

Not that I know chit or aything, but one should really try to limit flight noise to as little as possible.

Just go take an arrow with feathers(if ya'll know what those are... LOL) and one with vanes,and have someone shoot em at a target whiel you are next to the target behind a tree or such...

Noise is NEVER a good thign with archery.

But then lots think nothing matters and they can shoot 50 yard deer all day long with no problems.

That outfit just HAS to make wind noise.

Do all you can to be quiet and stay hidden, and then launch a slow noisemaker at an animal... makes no sense.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
No noise on my bow.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I shot the fob on trf215 arrow and noticed no noise. Least nothing that would strike me as extra loud or out of the ordinary

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Do you stand by the target and let someone else shoot?

Noise sound is relative, what you hear at the bow can be somewhat of little matter, its what is hear downrange.

Liek the huge difference between feathers and vanes that you don't hear folks talk of either.

By doing a downrange test, we ended up having to scotch tape the vents on some old broadheads... you NEVER heard a thing from the bow side, but boy down range they'd be noisy enough to make me flinch.

Of course if your deer don't move and duck like ours do it may not matter.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Back when I was younger, I had an old Pearson bow that was so slow I could do my own BH noise test. Shoot, set the bow down, run to the target and then listen to the arrow when it arrived. It's a little harder to do now with the modern setups. wink

Cowardice is the greatest pandemic that has ever affected mankind.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Anyone try the FOB by actually listening downrange?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Mathews Switchback. Belongs to 24hcf member NE1022. 70.3#, 29.25" DL. Red/grey with blk pinstripe Hogwire Strings. GT Velocity Pros in.300 spine with 125 tips.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Fletched/bareshaft at 20yds

Custom Strings/Tuning
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
USMC2602 Diamond Stud. 61.2#, Flo grn / med brown with blk pinstripe Hogwire Strings. GT Velocity Pros by SouthShore Archery Supply.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Bareshaft / fletched @20 yds

Custom Strings/Tuning
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Looks great, Harlon, can't wait to try it out!

Kurt

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Lots of good stuff with bare and fletched but nothing with broad heads. I developed the compound broad head tuning system long, long ago, tried to get published, rejected to find Easton is using my method. I can get a broad head to hit the exact same spot as bare or fletched in minutes. I can adjust for head weight or style, even the arrow spine in minutes.
You have to show a broad head next to a bare or fletched field point. I shot bare shafts into the bullseye at 60 yards long ago. Can make a broad head hit the same as a field point at any range.
Bow noise is a problem and high frequency is the worst, stuff you don't hear. Even time of day affects that with morning deer easier then evenings.
Want to see if a bow works on deer, shoot at a squirrel on the ground. If he is 20 yards and 15' up a tree barking at you before the arrow hits, forget deer.
I don't care if you have over 300 fps, you can't beat sound. It is not arrow noise, it is the bow and many will scare heck out of deer. Why do you think bows have all that rubber stuff on them?
Reason for expandable heads today, make like a field point but can you make a Razor head or snuffer work?
Expanding heads need more power and heavier arrows.
Light arrows will never be best. I have shot three deer with revolvers to find 6" of arrow healed inside. Almost cut myself on them. Arrows in the lungs. I bet animal loss has gone way up since toothpicks are shot.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I shot every day long ago, won hundreds of trophies, shot 292 out of 300 field "Ohio score" with a Wing bow. Belonged to Eight Ball Archers and shot demonstrations at the Cleveland Sportsman shows. Well over 200 bow kills. Hitting deer got problematic with compounds, still prefer a long bow or recurve. Best was the Wing Presentation II. Bear was junk after they stopped the good recurves, compounds were junk. Jennings broke fast. Allen bows were junk. I loved Wing bows. Hoyt was good.
No, I can't compete with new stuff where bows only need one sight pin. Back then you had to estimate distance to the yard. But we were good and killed. The average was 15 years for an archer to kill a deer but I got three the first season. Ohio, MI and PA. Chipmunks, squirrels and woodchucks piled up. Did not know what a release was. Went to one a while back to find it increases bow noise. I got accurate to only find deer don't like it. Disgusting to have a deer get out of the way at 10 yards when you can not scare a deer with a longbow at all.
I can't pull my bows anymore so went to a great long bow, made for me by my friend at Bama Bows. Wood arrow and Snuffer, killed a deer right off.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Its time to give a little review of Busted Nock Bow tuning.

I sent my bow to Harlon after my buddy blew it up dry firing it. I had new strings put on it and the full tune done as well as install the new cam.

I got it back and it shot better then before. I noticed that my groups shrunk a bit and arrows were hitting straighter to the target.

Since that time i have shot my bow all the way out to 100 yards proving out my slider and every day i am even more happier with it.

Today i switched to broad heads and started shooting them for up and coming Montana opener. I shoot slick trick 100's and before i always had to adjust a bit to get the point of impact to line up with my pins.

Well today i was able to shoot back and forth between both BH's and Feild Points.

Point of impact was the same. I even shot one of each at 60 yards and they hit an inch differnt.

I want to thank Harlon for working with me as I am sure i was a pain in the arss to deal with. But he awnsered all my questions and even followed up with me a couple months after to make sure i was still satisfied. He and his service provided were great and i will be sending my next bow to him with out a doubt.

Thanks Harlon for everything!!

Here was my very first shot tonight into a brand new block at 60 yards. I am ready to go.

(block was turned a bit and makes it look like the arrows arnt hitting straight, but trust me they are)

[Linked Image]

life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who THREATEN it!!!!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Glad you are happy with it.

Custom Strings/Tuning
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
bfrshooter, there is a "method to the madness" with what I do. And a reason it works. Tune for bareshaft/fletched to same POI @ 20yds, and run fixed blade heads of same weight with no adjustments. Why? Because the arrow is leaving the bow perfectly and no assistance is needed from the fletchings. So when the broadhead is screwed on the fletchings don't have to work very hard to correct flight. It's been tested with fixed heads, mech heads, even the large cut 2 blade heads. It does require a properly spined arrow. And it requires pretty darn decent form. Last year my hunting bow would stack fp, bareshaft, slick trick, and grave digger all in same spot with no adjustments needed. And that's after my normal fletched / bareshaft tune. Tune the bow properly and the broadheads will fly

Custom Strings/Tuning
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 2,680 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,037
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.