Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What models would you offer?

Bluedreaux's ARs....
They'd all have Magpul enhanced trigger guards - Properly ported barrels - Properly tested, springed and staked BCGs, Springco buffer springs and H2 buffers, Magpul MOE-K grips

Trigger options would include a CMC 3.5 / 4.5 single stage or G2S or SSA-E two stage.

I'd make 1" Battlecomp brakes an option as well as Streamlight TLR1s and Wyoming Arms Fenix lights.

Model 1
16" mid-length CL barrel
Fixed front sight post
Fixed rear sight
Magpul handguard - B5 stock

Model 2
16" mid-length CL barrel
15" free float tube rail
Fixed sights or Magpul folding sights
B5 stock

Model 3
17" rifle gas SS barrel
Adjustable gas block
VLTOR A5
15" free floating rail
SF or Lantac brake

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
ARIC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Flattop 1-8 or 7 twist skinny 20-in. No fwd asst. A1 stock. Skinniest carbon fiber rifle forearm available. Geissele trigger. .223AI chamber. Want it to weigh abt 6.5 w Leupold 6x42 LRD M1 on top.

Killed a PD at 500+ yds few years back w sumpin quite similar a friend built.

And a 10.5-in. Modern version of the AF survival rifle w flattop &2.5 x Leupold on it. Lookin for weight around 5 elbows.

Fixin to put together
something similar for a mall rifle that'll fit in a racquet bag before the next holiday season.

Last edited by ColdCase1984; 07/31/14.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would insist on good barrels, reliability, and accuracy.

after that point, whatever styling exercises were deemed fashionable, or the best combination of good, and cheap. smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would concentrate on offering different barrel contours. specifically a lighter 18 and 20" models. BUT I would not do it with pencil barrels. I would stick with 750 gas blocks and focus on turning down the area behind the gas block and under the handguard. have just enough shoulder to hold the gas block then turn down the rest. I would also use midwest gen 2 ss rails or make a knockoff of it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm wanting one with a midwest gen 2 ss rail too. But I'd like a 16" 7 or 8 twist lighter weight barrel and a magpul ctr stock. Thinking about a BHW M4 poly 3groove barrel.

Just looking for light weight with decent accuracy.

Bb

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Bluedreaux's ARs....
They'd all have Magpul enhanced trigger guards - Properly ported barrels - Properly tested, springed and staked BCGs, Springco buffer springs and H2 buffers, Magpul MOE-K grips

Trigger options would include a CMC 3.5 / 4.5 single stage or G2S or SSA-E two stage.

I'd make 1" Battlecomp brakes an option as well as Streamlight TLR1s and Wyoming Arms Fenix lights.

Model 1
16" mid-length CL barrel
Fixed front sight post
Fixed rear sight

Model 2
16" mid-length CL barrel
15" free float tube rail
B5 stock

Model 3
17" rifle gas SS barrel
Adjustable gas block
VLTOR A5
15" free floating rail
SF or Lantac brake

I think you pretty much nailed it. I put good triggers at the top of the list.
I have a Geissle SSA trigger and am not overly impressed with it. I like my home modded Core15 better. Lighter pull with less take up. The Core15 trigger is really good right out of the LPK.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Bluedreaux's ARs....

Model 1
16" mid-length CL barrel
Fixed front sight post
Fixed rear sight

Model 2
16" mid-length CL barrel
15" free float tube rail
B5 stock

Model 3
17" rifle gas SS barrel
Adjustable gas block
VLTOR A5
15" free floating rail
SF or Lantac brake

Pretty much this except for Model 3. I'd go 18" rifle gas just to accomo. Any particular reason you went with 17?

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'll amend my list and make #3 18" with a LP gas block.

#4 will have a 17" barrel-adjustable gas and a LMOS with either brake.

#4 is what I'd like to build next.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I know less than fugg all about AR's, but every now and then I almost convince my self I need one.

Now is one of those times!

I want a simple, round forearm, 18-20 light to mid weight barrel twisted 8, and a decent single stage trigger. No sights or handle on the top. Don't care about the stock.

Basically a light weight 18-20" bbl'd gun set up for a scope with out a bunch of mall ninja chit on it.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Basically a light weight 18-20" bbl'd gun set up for a scope with out a bunch of mall ninja chit on it.

that was what I advocated. there isn't a ton of options out there for lightweight 20" setups and I don't want a pencil barrel. just an hbar with alot more meat turned off under the handguard. I think I am going to get a criterion hybrid barrel next time, but even that has quite a bit more metal turned off than what I actually would want. I want just enough shoulder to mount the gas block then a simple straight contour back to the barrel shank.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't know that I could be a company, as my uses and thoughts are generally weird compared to what all the books show and what folks, want, vs actually need.

Of course I always tend to build to my uses, and granted my uses are not those of others.

18 inch barrel would be the least though.... and frankly you don't gain that much with tubes over 20 or maybe 22.

IF I had to have something shorter it would be a SBR instead of just going 16

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I always liked the 20 inch SP1 type guns, back in the day when we did not have all the fancy scopes, red dots, flashlights we do now they seemed to work just fine. I blew up a lot of jackrabbits in the hills around Sun Valley NV just fine for me. An 18 inch gun would be great, don't know why everyone settled on the 16.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Actually now that I thought about this thread, I'd start a smithing business, not a "company" and would build each person what they wanted, well within reason probably, and be totally custom as thats the way I think it should be mostly.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
Actually now that I thought about this thread, I'd start a smithing business, not a "company" and would build each person what they wanted, well within reason probably, and be totally custom as thats the way I think it should be mostly.

There are plenty of those already and very few successful ones. Most people still want to spend as little as possible and if they have the money to burn, they are probably going to go with one of the big names. Most of the "custom" AR builders I have seen use cheapo parts to make the guns look upgraded yet keep the price down. I would not want my name on many of the "custom" guns I see.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like your choices Bluedreaux. If I were starting an AR company, there would be no carbine barrels in my inventory. I do like the mid length 16's as I can see you do as well. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
CB, I don't have a clue of any custom folks using cheap parts, but then again my demands are pretty high.

And if I started building them, then I"d have a large client base of competitive shooters to start with that will pay for the good parts, but don't like paying extra on top of that for names.

Of course I"m talking smith part of it you are probably talking parts monkeys mostly.

Building guns would not be done for teh cheap market, want cheap there is NO reason not to build your own from teh cheapest parts you can get, and you don't have excise tax to deal with either technically.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rost,
I guess it depends on how you define custom. If you base your shop around competitive rifles and accuracy, clearly you wont be using cheap "tactical" parts, probably mostly barrel work. On the other hand, there are "custom shops" that just slap together cheap parts and tell you how good of a deal you are getting.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
those monkeys putting parts together and calling themselves smiths just don't cut it for me.

That even includes some BIG names.

One of which uses barrels that are cheap enough that they test each one, but reject up to 30ish percent... and you ARE paying for a NAME that does NOTHING really IMHO.

But its not for me to say.

Parts assemblers are not smiths.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
We were shooting some drills today and I offered for guys to shoot my 16" mid-length back to back with their carbines. The constant response was "So that's what it's supposed to feel like!".

16" Mid-Length
Rifle buffer (A5H3)
15" rail
It has a 1" Battlecomp, but in my experience it didn't have any impact on this drill over a standard A2 FH.

I ended up having to just leave it with the group and get it back from them later. My "properly built AR disciples" keep growing in number.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
16 inch with a comp on the end would be same as an 18, more or less. But less jump by far.

You are long tube gassing them? Gotta be smoother etc... as you well know, I know 20 inch guns and gas systems, the rest I do not know...

BTW, side note, bought a bolt in 300 whisper, and still will buy that gas block you noted for my AR in 300 whsiper, its just on the back burner now till the bolt gun is finished and I get back from annual fall AK hunt and see how much I have left... AT least now I"ll be gassing the AR to function, not to not function.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
546 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 2,597 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,735
Posts18,401,057
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.