Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Greetings all, I just ordered a browning u.d.x. plus, in stainless from Davidsons. Ill be picking it up this saturday, and was wonder if any of you owned 1, or any Buckmark and what you thought of them ? The good or the bad. Thanks.

Attached Images
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Woodsman1: I have three Browning Buckmark heavy barrel pistols and one Browning Buckmark pistol turned Varmint Rifle (factory done!) and I enjoy them all very much.
Their triggers are excellent and they produce very good groupings at the range.
Two of my Buckmarks have scope sights.
I use them mostly for small Varmints like Ground Squirrels.
I do not ever recall a failure to function in any of these Buckmarks.
I would guess I have put at least 2,000 rounds collectively down their barrels.
I do use best quality hollow-pint type ammo in all of them.
I hope you enjoy your Buckmark as much as I enjoy mine.
The magazines are a little pricey and somewhat hard to find so keep that in mind if you plan on getting into high volume shooting circumstances.
Best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like my old camper. I had it threaded for suppressor use, added an aftermarket picatinny scope rail with integrated rear sight, flipped the hammer spring around for a lighter pull (rimfire central has info on this process), and then added the set screw equipped Buckmark target trigger as a drop in item for $15 or so to eliminate overtravel. I can hit my 3" steel disk target repeatedly at 50yds with it using a cheap red dot, which is good for my purposes. The trigger is quite wonderful as set up, and the pistol itself is very, very accurate. Takedown is relatively simple, but has annoying "side effects" when compared to say a Ruger Mk platform.
Some weird irritations with the Buckmark design:
1. My factory rear sight base unscrewed if any oil got into the screws. This manifests as jams as the base retains the slide assembly, and also accuracy goes to hell since the rear sight is loose.
2. It's annoying that the rear sight base needs to be removed to access the internals for takedown, thus disrupting the zero.
3. On my Camper, due to the frame pillar that retains the slide and blocks straight access to the breech, you must either clean from the muzzle, or remove the barrel from the frame (removing a steel set screw from an alloy aluminum frame, which I don't care to do very often).

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
well, I like mine. I really do. in general, it's accurate, smooth, an pretty to look at.

did I just say it is accurate. it is. ammo differences occur, but velocitors, and mini-mags make it a keeper.

however, I've had a problem or two. one of which was my fault. the recoil pad got worn out, and in trying to change it, I buggered the recoil spring. all my fault. my eyes are getting weaker, and that's my excuse.

the other problem was more a mechanical failure. the trigger got impossible to pull. I thought the over-travel screw had moved. it hadn't. the trigger pin in the housing froze up. couldn't get it loose. it had to go to the shop. they fix'ed it.

I mounted a 30mm tasco 3x scope on the rail using bushnell aluminum rings. the spider crosshairs with target dot do the trick.

I would buy another one.

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thanks everyone, Ive never fired 1 before so I was kind of hoping it would be accurate enough for small game. It was a toss up between this and a ruger mk3. And ive heard great things about both of them.

You'll shoot your eye out kid. ( Ralphi-From a Christmas Story )
IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I have a buckmark varmint pistol, scoped with a B&L 2-6x scope. Shoots better than I can.. It's really fun to take squirrel hunting after the leaves start to thin out on the trees.

I feed it a steady diet of CCI-SV.

dave

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a URX model that I put a TacSol 5" threaded barrel on and a Burris FastFire II, it shoots anything I load in it. I'd buy another one.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Have 2, love em to death. IN fact just had to "rebuild" the old one. Have had that one for 20+ years. It got all new springs and a new mag catch.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I only have one but have been extremely impressed with reliability handling a variety of ammo and the accuracy - have been amazed with some of the groups that I have shot with this handgun - some nearly as good as I get with handguns that SHOULD shoot well!!

PennDog

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My dad loves his (made in the 80's). They are great pistola's with very nice triggers and they are every bit as accurate as my Ruger MKI and MKII targets..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My college roomie got myself and wife the Contour URX 7.25" version as a wedding present. Haven't shot it a ton, but no issues and it shoots better than I can.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had one for over 20 years. Nothing bad to say about it. Reliable, good trigger, accurate. I like it like it is but it's my understanding it's easy to modify with a lot of optional aftermarket parts available.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Many years ago, I regularly brought home the bacon using a Buckmark Micro with a custom flush comp and red dot on bowling pins. Never a hiccup with Winchester Super-X. Now, after many thousands of rounds, it will not cycle cheap stuff reliably. Most likely due to cheap ammo being next to worthless recently.
Have a standard model that I use for squirrels and plinking with iron sights. Very accurate. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I picked it up a while back, I love the looks and feel of it. Sadly though, ive not had a chance to shoot it yet, but thanks for all the great feed back on it !

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

590 members (270cowboy, 257 mag, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 260Remguy, 67 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,292
Posts18,448,967
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.