Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by deflave
Everything I shoot with my .40 seems to die pretty fast.

Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Travis

Don't blame yourself. 40's kill too well.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SansSouci
safariman,

What do you use your 10MM for?

I have used it on hogs, carried it in bear country hikes or fihsing trips and on big game hunts. It is also my EDC firearm. Though a full size steel 1911, it hides rather well under an overshirt, light vest etc. 'tis also my truck gun, I keep a small supply of loaded mags and ammo in the back seat of my truck for it.

Everywhere and everything load is 180gr Gold Dots at 1375.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member

Travis

Shoot larger animals.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Travis

What are you shooting? Maybe that's the difference between your .40 �ber Souper and the Terrific Ten.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by dvnv

Travis

Shoot larger animals.

How large?

(that's what she said)

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MOGC

What are you shooting? Maybe that's the difference between your .40 �ber Souper and the Terrific Ten.

Bullets.

What else?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
For bipedal self-defense, I don't see advantage of 10MM vis-a-vis .40 S&W. In fact, I'd take a hi-capacity .40 S&W over a 10MM every time if we're talking bipedal self-defense. As a trail gun, I'd rather have a 10MM.

If my 40 trail load didn't do the job with 12 shots, I didn't need a cartridge burning a few more grains of powder. I needed a different class of cartridge altogether.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Fotis
We had the 45 ACp 185 gr at 1000 fps. So why the 40?
Capacity.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Safariman,

I do think that the 10MM is one of the best trail guns available. It's superior to the venerable .357 Mag for bear defense.

I wouldn't turn my head to a good deal on a 1911A1-type 10MM deal.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Capacity.

My fn hold 15 45's

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B3

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do think that the 10MM is one of the best trail guns available.

The 10mm is a cartridge, not a trail gun. The cartridge might be in the running if the trail gun a revolver. There are relatively specific needs that a 10mm in a semi-auto answer, but the overall versatility of the revolver make it a better trail gun.

It's [the 10mm] superior to the venerable .357 Mag for bear defense.

They're probably a tie for mediocre for that purpose.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Capacity.

My fn hold 15 45's

Where was your FN in 1990?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Safariman,

I do think that the 10MM is one of the best trail guns available. It's superior to the venerable .357 Mag for bear defense.

I wouldn't turn my head to a good deal on a 1911A1-type 10MM deal.

Next time I come across a smokin deal on one, I will PM you. I just snagged a neat little commander sized 45ACP with MAster series Rosewood lazergrips real cheap, more gun show Table fodder. Deals come along when one looks diligently.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by JOG

Hmm. I don't see it that way. A 10 with maxed flatnose 220's or a 357 with wfn 180's seem like good options to me. Not a Casull, but controllable and portable, with lots of firepower. Defense shooting and retail business have 3 important similarities in order to succeed: location, location, location.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by JOG

Hmm. I don't see it that way. A 10 with maxed flatnose 220's or a 357 with wfn 180's seem like good options to me. Not a Casull, but controllable and portable, with lots of firepower. Defense shooting and retail business have 3 important similarities in order to succeed: location, location, location.
A 10mm with maxed flatnose 220 grainers is going to have to be getting pretty slow. I just took it that JOG meant compared to full strength 44 Mag's or taking it up a notch to hot-loaded 45 Colt's or a Casull, the 10 is going to come off pretty weak. I have no idea how much difference there would be in the real-world, because I've never shot a bear. I do know that if I were to shoot one, I'd much rather have a hot-loaded 45 Colt or a 44 Mag. than a 10mm, especially if the bear was of the Horribulus tribe.

The 10 when in a high cap platform like the Glock, makes for a moderately powerful pistol with a lot of firepower. If you're really in Bear country and you choose one, you're making the old choice between power and firepower. From what I've read about bears, if you're really in danger, you might get off two shots before the bear is on you, making the issue of how many rounds, moot, unless you're talking a Contender or other single-shot pistol, which aren't commonly carried for defensive purposes anyway.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
IOW, this...

[Linked Image]

not this.

[Linked Image]

But if that, it isn't going to make much difference if it is this instead.

[Linked Image]

And I wouldn't say that this is inferior to the latter two.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So to summarize, if in Bear country, make mine this.

[Linked Image]

Sorry, but this thread needed pics.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'd rather have a hot-loaded 10 with heavies, or a 40 with same, than a hard-kicking heavy wheelgun. Unless we're talking big coastal bears, then I'd carry a lever gun. You aren't going to intimidate a big grizz just by firing a big bullet, and it doesn't take a big bullet to stop an attack.

I'd rather have a gun that I've shot 1000's of times and can shoot really well, loaded with the right bullet. I can rapid fire my 40 with decent accuracy, and it will be a CNS hit that stops the attack.

I'm going into bear country today to pick huckleberries. We can suppose all kinds of gack about guns and firepower and magnums and whatever, but I know from my tests that my 40 with 180gr hardcasts at 1200 will penetrate a bear's skull, or make it through at least a foot of soft tissue and then break bone. Consequently, that is what I will carry.

Secondly, part of being in bear country is being completely aware of your surroundings as much as possible. Bears are quiet when they want to be, but they haven't cared to be very quiet when I've come across them before, and I'm confident that I can notice them in plenty of time for more than 1 or 2 shots from my 40, if I have to shoot. It hasn't happened that way yet. I pray it never does, but if it does, I am confident that I can do what needs done with my 40. My brother carries a 9 with 147 hardcasts at 1050 in bear country, and feels good about it.

From looking at the data, it looks like the 10 can get a 200grn bullet up to 1200. Don't see data for a 220, but I'm sure at least 1000 is doable, which is plenty for penetrating the skull, or the soft tissue around the neck to get to the spine.

Once again, if these can't get the job done, then I want a rifle, not a bigger handgun.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Oh really? I got the bear on the lefts attention rather quickly with one big slug fired from my revolver.

[Linked Image].

I had a rifle,but it was out of reach. Give me the larger handgun at least it will always be available in time of need.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I'd rather have a hot-loaded 10 with heavies, or a 40 with same, than a hard-kicking heavy wheelgun. Unless we're talking big coastal bears, then I'd carry a lever gun.

Sooo, you don't think the 10mm is mediocre for bears, but you'll only use it on mediocre bears?

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

714 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 69 invisible), 3,101 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,200
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.