Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Western Bullet Co. has decent prices, and a $12 flat-rate shipping regardless of order size. Seems like a fair deal to me.

http://www.westernbullet.com/3535738caliber.html

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Looked at them - and they're on sale $10/100 but they have no gas check. I don't see what they are made of or their hardness. Any issues with running them at 10-1200 ft/sec?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
This is my first order with Western. Ordered some .44 cal 250gr Keith also.

We'll soon see how they do. I don't plan to push them faster than about 900-1000 fps.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bwinters;
Good morning to you sir, hopefully this finds you well and congratulations on your Security Six purchase.

I bought mine so long ago that I was legally able to buy it in a Washington State gun shop - with the proper Canadian paperwork which they considered the same as an FFL back when - and bring it across the medicine line in a paper bag.

Anyway, so in the intervening 3 decades I'd say that I must have put somewhere close to 5000 rounds through it give or take. I'd say half of them would have been "full house" reloads using 231 and 2400 - usually with a 158SWC from a LEE mold.

I did get my hands on a whole bunch of Speer 125gr FMJ one time and had piles of fun - albeit noisy fun - with max loads of 2400 pushing them. laugh

Here's the revolver by the way.
[Linked Image]

The only issue I had with it was the cylinder catch didn't always return downward after releasing the trigger. This of course would bind up the revolver and required it be stripped down to function again. I wrote Ruger - as that's what we did back then and they sent me another one - which didn't help actually.

The cure I came up with was a thin wash of industrial epoxy on the part of the frame where the flat bar part of the cylinder catch contacts it. It needed to be pushed down that small amount to function and it's done so without a hitch in the decades since.

Lastly, I've accidentally given it a couple loads where I needed to push the cases out with a dowel and as far as I can see or measure, it's unaffected. They are a stout piece of equipment for sure in my experience.

Hopefully that was some use to you sir. Good luck with your revolver whichever way you decide.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
2 of the 3 enterfire wheelguns I own

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Dwayne - nice revolver and set-up. I don't plan to feed it a steady diet of full house loads but is nice to know it can handle it and the occasional overload.

I'm thinking 2400 and a 170 hard cast are in the near future for my gun. If I could only find some 170 gr gas checked hard cast..........

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine's a stainless 6" with Pachmayer grips.
I acquired it back sometime between 76 and 80.
I run 296 and 158gr Speer JHP in it.
It's been a fine one.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dwayne, I don't believe I've seen a rib like that on one.

Interesting.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
AJD;
Good afternoon to you sir, hopefully this first day of August has been treating you well - other than the fact it's August already!

The rib was a Poly Choke rib that I spied in the same small gun shop in Oroville, WA where I bought that Ruger and a Blackhawk before it. Again this was back in the days when we Canucks could wander down across the medicine line and spend our hard earned money with impunity. My goodness did we ever do that..... laugh

Anyway I've always liked the Python look and spied the rib kit when I had whatever US cash it cost me that day burning a hole in my pocket.

I stuck it on with the original front sight and it just didn't look right to my eye, so I grabbed something from my metal pile - maybe some key stock? - and made up the front sight I thought it needed.

The grips are at least the 3rd or maybe 4th set I've made up for that revolver and I had some Pachmayr ones too for awhile, but they got traded for Walmart jerky to some guy in Alaska. wink

Anyway sir, that's the story of the rib on that revolver.

All the best to you this weekend sir, hopefully its a good one for you.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great info Clark.

Have you ever tested the 357 Blackhawk or known the theoretical strength?

Jason

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
Originally Posted by 4ager
There is no way you have a single six in .357.

A custom gun it can be... one Smith was building 41 Special's on the 3-screw single-six frame. I contacted him and he is no longer making them... too far behind with other projects.

Jerry

My 41 Special Single Six.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ed,

Nice!

Perfect trail gun IMO. How heavy a bullet and how fast?

Thanks,

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If I was every going to rob somebody, it would be Ed.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
If I was every going to rob somebody, it would be Ed.

Travis

Be pretty easy, wouldn't it? He keeps all his nice wheelguns and good booze right where you can find them easy - on that fancy side table. wink

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Here's a look at my Security Six, it's really clean.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In a nutshell, what's the diff between the Service Six and the Security Six? Is it just fixed versus adjustable sights?

I've long wondered, but apparently not enough to look it up myself. Anyway, asking here is more fun.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I think it's just the sights, and the Security Six looks to have a bit thicker topstrap.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Great info Clark.
Have you ever tested the 357 Blackhawk or known the theoretical strength?
Jason

My Blackhawk is a 45 Colt and I would not run that at the threshold of stickly cases, but after reading your question I looked at a 357 Blackhawk at the gunshow this morning. That is about as beefy as it gets.
The 45 Colt Blackhawk is 0.060" between chambers and the 357 Blackhawk looked more like 0.165" between chambers.
That 357 is much stronger than needed for me to feel confident working up to sticky cases, if I had one.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by bwinters
Dwayne - nice revolver and set-up. I don't plan to feed it a steady diet of full house loads but is nice to know it can handle it and the occasional overload.

I'm thinking 2400 and a 170 hard cast are in the near future for my gun. If I could only find some 170 gr gas checked hard cast..........

I got into casting last winter. It is easy to get good results with my own cast bullets--far easier than I believed. Why not invest in a mould and a bit of casting equipment? I am now addicted, and for far less than mail-order, I can shoot alloys I want to. Lee makes cheap, decent intro stuff that works well from my experience, but I think they don't have the mould you want. Lyman does, and Saeco has a 180FN, both of which are available at Midway. I started with several Lee moulds because I was sure I was going to screw a mould or two up during the learning curve. It hasn't happened, and I like all of the Lees I have.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Here's a look at my Security Six, it's really clean.

[Linked Image]

That is a nice one, Shane.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
687 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 78 invisible), 3,081 guests, and 1,468 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,678
Posts18,399,550
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.