Print Thread
Hop To
W
Wyogal Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Going to build a portable duck blind. What's been your experience? Got any ideas you wouldn't mind sharing? Any help would be very appreciated.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
use some type of mesh that lets you add local cover, if you pick a gray based color it will not blend in with a golden colored marsh.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
and put a top on it... ducks can see you trying to hide in an open-top blind.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Actually differing color isn't as bad as the open top is.

MOvement is the other instant killer.

One year we put up some netting in front of us... in some reeds where we stood. Worked fine until later in the morning.

Took 2 hunts until at the time of the morning when it seemed the ducks would start flaring I walked out front... DUH, the sun was up high enough we were silhouetted behind the netting then....

I like the idea of local vegetation options though a LOT and try to use it when we can, but if not, we've got a few pieces of fast grass zip tied to wire fence. Each piece is hinged where the end of the fast grass is and you can put it up quick, run fiberglass rods in the ground hopefully, and then have a piece that flips over the top.
works fine on the river on the bank, on sandbars etc...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Wyogal Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks all! Yes natural vegetation will be a priority. Hadn't planned originally to put a flip top on it, but sounds like a definite must.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
also, use face paint or a face mesh. I hate the mesh, it tickles my nose, but face-shine saves many ducks from hunters. Good luck!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a collapasable blind that I had recamo'd and did quite well with.
But it seemed to be lacking something.
Bought some raffia grass, and sandwiched between duct tape and used zip tie loops to hang on the corners. Just finished it yesterday, and still have to dull up the tape.
It should blend in very well with the grass where I hunt.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The top view.

Last edited by splattermatic; 07/30/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's where I hunt and why I did The add on raffia grass.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think you over think this. Sometimes I just sit on the bare bank with my legs hanging over the bank and my dog laying next to me, as long as we don't move the ducks decoy just fine.

Hunting the tide flats starting at low tide I sit on a camo bucket 10 yards from the decoys and the ducks decoy, there isn't anything other than mud or sand around me. Other parts of the bay I just stand in front of one of the washed up logs.

One quick hunt on the incoming tide about 10:00 AM and had to let them get close enough for 7/8 oz loads out of the old timer.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by erich; 07/30/14.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
W
Wyogal Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Wow, nice set up Splattermatic!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last time my dad and I made a blind, we made a simple wooden frame and zip-tied bundles of cut bamboo to it to break up the shape.

The bamboo grows on the sides of the road here and when dry looks like dried up corn stalks or reeds..

Worked pretty well...however, I would exactly call it portable.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by kid0917
also, use face paint or a face mesh. I hate the mesh, it tickles my nose, but face-shine saves many ducks from hunters. Good luck!

Camo stick stays in my wader pocket. And 2 head nets stay in the backpack. Same with gloves... white hands give you away too.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks.
A sunny view.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"..I think you over think this. Sometimes I just sit on the bare bank with my legs hanging over the bank and my dog laying next to me, as long as we don't move the ducks decoy just fine..."

On Kodiak Island, I have had goldeneyes that I jumped circle and fly back along the Olds river, near enough to shoot and kill. But IME, most shot-at ducks especially puddlers, will be pretty wary thereafter. But I did enjoy some seaduck hunts in Kodiak where I could shoot from a stationary large boat once in a while and connect on oldsquaw and a few others.

http://www.momarsh.com/shallow-water-solutions/sws-invisichair-blind/
And get one for the dog too
http://www.momarsh.com/shallow-water-solutions/sws-invisilab-universal-dog-hide/
I've tried a lot of homemade stuff that worked OK, but these units really work well

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
erich: Nice work 4 a late morning hunt. Got to love WA state. Have only been once, but will return.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

594 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 204guy, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,019 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,264
Posts18,448,240
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.