Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
I have always LOVED gunshows!
Last week three friends of mine and I co-ordinated an early Saturday morning departure for a small Gunshow here in SW Montana (Wisdom, Montana 70 miles from my home).
Anyway I am getting antsy on Friday and could not wait.
I decided to head out mid-morning by myself for the 1:00 P.M. opening of that Wisdom show.
I am glad I did!
I had several "items" I had accumulated of recent that I intended on re-selling there.
One item was an antique pair of wooden ice skates that had an American maker on the steel blades.
Another item that I re-sold very quickly was a Red Wing 2 gallon vat.
I sold a couple of knives and a Rifle scope as well.
Things were rather perky there and I was emboldened with the hundred dollars or so of "profit" I had made on the sold items.
Then, I come across a nifty little pistol that I knew NOTHING about.
It was a Colt Cobra (second model with 2" barrel and factory nickel finish) in 38 Special.
It was in especially nice (MINTY!) shape and I looked the little pistol over very carefully even checking the timing/lockup and double action - I was impressed.
In fact that little Colt locked up as tight as any revolving double action pistol I had ever handled.
I put it down as I had NO idea what it was worth (marked $550.00) and went about my business/snooping around.
I had concerns about the grips on that tiny six shot revolver as they appeared different than any I had ever seen on the smaller Colt revolvers - in that they did not have the rampant Colt insignia on them.
Turns out, later, that the first model Colt Cobras had the insignia on their grips but the second models did not.
I eventually head home but can't get the minty little Colt out of my mind.
Once back home I consult my Blue Book of Gun Values and the pictures and listings on gunbroker.cheatme.
I almost paniced when I saw that the pistol in question was indeed "all original" with those grips the book value was $725.00 for a 95% Colt Cobra AND then add $100.00 for the nickel plated models!
And, the pistol in question was way better than 95%!!!
I got very little sleep Friday night and my travel mates Saturday morning wondered why I was driving faster than my normal "pokey" speed as we headed for Wisdom.
Thankfully said pistol was still there and I got it for $500.00 cash and it came with a set of Pachmeyer grips and a nifty gun rug to boot.
I don't plan on selling this cool little revolver any time soon but feel good about getting a good deal on an older (1977) and minty Colt!
Long live gunshows!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

BP-B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
VG, Good buy.. I love gunshows also.. I try to hit everyone I get the chance to attend.. Never thought of Wisdom having a gunshow.. Sometimes those little shows offer nice buys.. My old partner in these shows always said, it only takes one tasty item to make the show worthwhile.. Enjoy..

Molon Labe
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
WyoCoyoteHunter: Yeah Wisdom, Montana, on a good day has maybe 200 residents!
But the views from there and the fishing and Hunting thereabouts make it one of my favorite places on earth.
The folks that put this show on rent two buildings, an old Masonic Lodge and the community hall and they have about 30 tables in each and then folks set up all around town on their own tables in a couple of parking lots and along streets - its a hoot with a barbecue and a street dance and live band usually there on Friday and Saturday nights.
I had another close encounter of the gun kind whilst there in Wisdom - a rare Remington XR-100 Rifle in caliber 22-250 Remington was offered for sale. It had a Harris bi-pod and quality rings and mounts (no scope!) and was in really great condition.
It was priced at $890.00 (asking) and I had "designs" on this Rifle even though I already own one.
It was on the sellers table for maybe 40 minutes!
I did not see what it sold for but I wish I had bid on it before it so quickly found its new home.
Yeah they have the one show a year there in Wisdom and I try to never miss it.
Some times it coincides with the yearly commemoration at the nearby Bighole Battlefield by the Indian peoples (Nez Perce).
This event is well worth attending if you are in the area in late July.
The commemoration here is of the battle between the U.S. Army forces and the Nez Perce Indians - the Indian folks actually won the battle and commandeered the Cavalry's cannon!
Though the early morning raid by the U.S. forces is often described as a slaughter of sleeping Indians the Indian people quickly strove to and fought off the cavalry.
Yeah well worth the effort to see the Bighole National Battlefield which is open every day of the year but two - I forget which two I assume Christmas and Thanksgiving?
Yep to amke a gunshow "worth it" takes just one "treasure" being found!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Around here, gun shows are only about 25% guns and 75% of that is semi handguns. The rest is Tee Shirts, jerky, honey, candy, cheap tools, books, gear bags, knives and other assorted junk.
Most gun dealers are ones who have store fronts and they load up their merchandise and bring it to the show with the same pricing as the store.

The entry fees have creeped up to $10 to look at the same stuff you see at flea markets.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Saddle, that is a bummer.. I have seen some nice shows here and in Montana..
VG, I will put the Wisdom show on my calendar for next fall. I surely enjoy visiting that area.. Have a good one..

Molon Labe
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I got a 1957 Colt Cobra 4 weeks ago at a WA gun show.
I talked the guy down from $475 to $425.

I have been going to MT gun shows as well when I visit there.
There is little to buy at a MT gun show.
Few sellers and plenty of buyers.

MT has good hunting and fishing, but poor gun shows.
WA has poor hunting and fishing, but good gun shows.

If you scored a deal at an MT gun show, that would be like 5% of WA elk hunters that get an elk.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Saddlesore: Yikes on the $10.00 gate fee and then being confronted with lens anti-fogging solutions, cheap Chinese toys, cheap Chinese knives etc etc etc.
At this Wisdom, Montana show the $5.00 entry fee (for non-Weapons Collectors Society of Montana mebers) but that allowed a person to visit on any or all of the three days.
And this, I pay close attention to this type of thing, there was just ONE 4473 type dealer at this show!
Nowadays I prefer to buy my guns from friends or at gunshows where the transactions are hussein obama and earache holder proof!
Some years ago out on the west coast I served three terms (9 years) as a Director for a 20,000 member gun collecting group!
Our association held two guns shows per month - year round.
We passed an iron clad rule that no more than 20% of a table holders table/tables could be non-firearm, ammo or knife related merchandise!
This solved the problem of complaints by members and visitors about "junk" and allowed for MANY wives to sell jewelry and hobby type stuff and for the table holder to sell stuff that would help pay his expenses.
Our shows often had 10,000 paying visitors a weekend besides our membership!
Next time (and I hope you keep attending GOOD gunshows) the "junk" items overwhelms a show you have paid to enter then you must politely inform the proprietor or one of the officers of the gunshow association involved.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Clarkm: Good score on the Colt Cobra - your pistol is indeed one of the first Model Cobras with the Colt emblem and the unshrouded ejector rod.
I learned these trivias just this past weekend by the way.
Keep up the good work (gun collecting) out there in rain country (taxington!).
I tend to disagree with your blanket condemnation of Montana Gunshows though.
I attended my first Montana gunshow back in 1968.
I now do 20 or so of them around this state each year.
For instance: two weeks ago myself and two friends drove the 110 miles to Bozeman for their 300 table show.
We came home with three firearms amongst us and one Riflescope along with books, knives and ammunitions - I also sold a passable amount of truck out of my backpack/trunk! This coming weekend a cadre of us will travel the 190 miles to Missoula, Montana for their 800 table show that is always sold out (table wise) and has been one of my favorite shows for decades!
I hope you have time to make arrangements to travel to the University of Montanas wonderful facility this weekend and peruse a very good gunshow.
Long live the Second Amendment!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will alert my Hunting buddies in MT about the show in Missoula. That is a 450 mile drive for them, but that is what they get for being able to hunt without driving.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Congrats!

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Did the Missoula, Montana gunshow this past Saturday and sold several small items out of my back pack.
Renewed friendships with several west coasties who made the trip to Missoula.
Good to see and visit with them all.
Did not get anything of note but did get a line on a S&W Model 36 (no dash) it is minty with diamond grips and faintest of cylinder turn marks.
Must make up my mind by this weekend - $500.00 asking price.
No box and must do husseins paper-work to bring it home though.
I have always had a soft spot for the S&W Model 36's and 60's.
The entire length of the Bitterroot Valley was devoid of 22 L.R. hollow-points of ANY kind!
Livingston next up.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My friends in MT skipped the Missoula show, but they said they went to it even before they moved to MT.

I went to a show Saturday in WA and did not buy any Colts, just old 22 rifles $75 each

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 3,099 guests, and 1,436 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.