-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
..but the BIG boomers are as much fun as fallin' into a barrel of tits grin44/90,45/90,45/110,50/90-BIG boomers!!! grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Shiloh I ordered will be a .45-90. Which I chose mostly because every body has a .45-70 (me included) and the -90 adds a little power without big case blues -110/-120 smile And makes a bigger boom & cloud of smoke, too smile

Along the way I stumbled across my original High Wall, which was rebarreled to a .45-90 at some point in its life. It's also a fun rifle, so I will have two of them. A light carbine and the heavier Sharps. So they share brass & dies - and we'll see how they like the same bullets, too.

Call it BPCR Loonyism...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
EvilTwin: I �nevva� feel into a barrel of tits, so can�t speculate if that would be fun or not. Sounds like it involves more than one female at the same time and those that I know who were fortunate -- or unfortunate enough -- to be involved with more than one at the same time, never seemed to come out of the experience unscathed and usually much poorer....

Anyway, yes there is something �bout loading a large chamber .45 or .50, especially when Those-Not-In-The- Know abound. I have a Sharps-Borchardt in .45- 2 7/8�. The Uninitiated always ask about the Paper Patched rounds and as the rifle: �what is that?� Some people just don�t know that they don�t know.

The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I touched off the .45-90 one day at the range. Through my plugs and headset (the guy next to me had a brake) I hear a woman yell, "what the f... was THAT

grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinHere ya go Ray, a 44/90 Shiloh Sharps and a "Real McCoy" Sharps original 45/110
[Linked Image]

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
EvilTwin: Nice; very nice!

My Borchardt originally was a .45-2 7/8" and it was shipped to San Francisco in 1878. I bought it when I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area. I had John King �refurbish� it. Of course the calibre of choice for the re-barrel was a .45- 2 7/8�. That cartridge really shines. Just wished I had better eyes to take full advantage of its potential.

Upstate NY?? My family was some of the original settlers in Sullivan County � Fremont Center, North Branch, Obernburg area. Spent weekends and summers on the family dairy farms. Learned to handle a team of horses, then "graduated" to the tractor when my legs got long enough to reach the pedals....

Last edited by Ray Newman; 08/01/14.

The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The big guns do have their own special SOP's.. grin

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ray, the big 45 REALLY shines when it comes to killing BIG game. Newfoundland moose and Wyoming buffler both blown out of their sneakers with one shot each from that cannon.
Buffler
[Linked Image]

Moose
[Linked Image]

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice pictures gents! You guys have some gorgeous rifles! I'm with ET and Woody on this one, 45/70s are like fat chicks and Vespas, lots of fun...until your friends see you fondling one!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Nice pictures gents! You guys have some gorgeous rifles! I'm with ET and Woody on this one, 45/70s are like fat chicks and Vespas, lots of fun...until your friends see you fondling one!

Well, I guess I have a fat chick riding a Vespa. grin

I wouldn't change a thing about my choice of this rifle. I can't believe how well it shoots, even though I put over 100 rounds through her today.

Y'all have fun with your big boomers, I'll settle in with my Plain Jane .45 2.1". grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinYep!! Ya have a SHARPS!!!! grin

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

I wouldn't change a thing about my choice of this rifle. I can't believe how well it shoots, even though I put over 100 rounds through her today.

Y'all have fun with your big boomers, I'll settle in with my Plain Jane .45 2.1". grin

Ed

Nothing plane about a 2.1 or any other chambering in Shiloh attire.. grin Our 110's dote on big hefty charges behind big chunks of lead but of course you pay the price in heftier recoil and pricier components which is an acceptable trade off you deal with upfront.

Enjoy your new toy it'll serve you well... smile

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem

Ed

Nothing plane about a 2.1(load 'em wid a garden trowel) or any other chambering in Shiloh attire.. grin Our 110's dote on big hefty charges(load 'em wid a coal shovel) behind big chunks of lead but of course you pay the price in heftier recoil and pricier components which is an acceptable trade off you deal with upfront.

grinFixt grin

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem

Ed

Nothing plane about a 2.1(load 'em wid a garden trowel) or any other chambering in Shiloh attire.. grin Our 110's dote on big hefty charges(load 'em wid a coal shovel) behind big chunks of lead but of course you pay the price in heftier recoil and pricier components which is an acceptable trade off you deal with upfront.

grinFixt grin

grin.Do we bring up the smokeless subject? Oh that's right forgot he gets a free pass this time only for fire forming purposes. grin

Woody
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
How about some pictures, Ed?

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Of the rifle...not the ScooterChick!

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Uncas
How about some pictures, Ed?

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9066631/2

Woody
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Very Kind. I was with Ed when he bought that little knife and I owned the 97 for about twenty minutes!

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Uncas
Very Kind. I was with Ed when he bought that little knife and I owned the 97 for about twenty minutes!

I knew hanging around you was good for me. grin Can't wait 'til you get down here this fall!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

The real killer is an original in a buffalo cartridge 40-90 BN. It works on all big game from buffalo to Angus cows...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

696 members (10gaugemag, 117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,863 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,155
Posts18,465,109
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.