Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I tell you what, the McMillan on my Alaskan feels night and day different in regards to recoil vs the old wood stock. It is very pleasant. All the same spec's and such, just "feels" lighter recoiling.. The McM actually feels a little trimmer as well.

Semper Fi
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Yeah, without a doubt. I like them all from the 338. The 210 PT is pretty fearsome for elk. Runs out fast like a 300 magnum and hits really hard. I'd use that bullet for pretty much anything. I am running some 225's this Fall, but it'll be the BBC's up front with Nosler's pulling tail end charlie.

I've even ran the 275 Speer SS at 2650. Deadly bullet as well and very accurate from my rifle. Hope to count coup with it one day as well against a poor old elk.

You know realistically, the .338 win is so versatile a lot of different bullet weights work in it. I know some guys down here that use the 210 partitions for elk and it hamers them. The guys I hunt with run the 250 gr. sierra's (don't laugh). This year, I hope to try the 225gr Hornady interlock on a big bull (or little bull, I don't care!!!, any bull grin..). You know how it is here: take what you can get...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
I tell you what, the McMillan on my Alaskan feels night and day different in regards to recoil vs the old wood stock. It is very pleasant. All the same spec's and such, just "feels" lighter recoiling.. The McM actually feels a little trimmer as well.

Sure rub it in grin.. I have a line on a nice swirly that I've been contemplating putting on one of my pre 64's.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
For any realistic use I'd have for my 338 I wouldn't need a 250. But back when I used to play with it, the rifle made it clear to me a 250 was what it liked.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Oh yeah, nothing much has has changed since the 338 was released, for the guy that wants something more than a 270/30-06 class the 338 really fills the gap better than a 300 magnum. My opinion on that as I like the 300 mags a bunch, but with 200's and 210's humming along at around 3000 they don't give up much of anything to the 300's ballistically and really seem to be very effective elk bullets. The 250's and 275 are in a whole nother class, maybe not as perfect as a 375 but still effective.

Semper Fi
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Amen...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Back to the OP's question. I'd like to see a few more pics, just to see what he has. Maybe some close ups of the bluing job, the bolt face, the crown, muzzle, top of the receiver/bridges, and stampings (including proofmarks, under receiver and bottom of the recoil lug). Also, condition of the bore would be good to know as well. Even though we know the majority of 338's didn't get shot much: It's hard to find one with a worn out bore...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman
For any realistic use I'd have for my 338 I wouldn't need a 250. But back when I used to play with it, the rifle made it clear to me a 250 was what it liked.

My Ruger m77's were the same way. I even tried the 180's back in the day and the 250's always seemed to edge out everything in the accuracy dept. However, I always suspected it was because of the particular type/brand of bullet (Sierra gameking). My first 2 Rugers loved a stiff charge of IMR 4350 which ran the 250's at 2,700 fps and my last Ruger liked a somewhat anemic load (67gr. IMR 4350) that ran 2,600 fps. My Alaskan doesn't seem to be as particular as the Rugers and has seemed to shoot just about everything I've tried in it pretty accurately. The Rugers were very decisive when the accuracy node was achieved. 1/2 a grain in either direction would make accuracy suffer big time. Here's the last Ruger m77's load:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just like EricM said, this is a great post...tons of information. My dad and brother both shoot 300 roys and I just felt the 338 win was much more versatile, which is why I bought one a couple years ago (a sako) and used it on my first elk hunt.

BSA...I have not gotten additional pictures. The owner was out of town for a couple days. I've asked and need to follow-up with a call.

Last edited by setch; 08/01/14.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
setch, in your opinion, is his price reasonable for the condition of the rifle? I know you don't have all the specifics since the rifle is not in hand, but what is your gut feeling?

BSA MAGA
IC B3

setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That is the question. Given the lack of data, I'm not sure what would be reasonable. It can be had for something between $1000 and $1200...probably more towards the top end of that range. On the one hand, I'm not about collecting, more about rifles that can be used, if I want to use them. But I don't want to overpay just because it is a p64. There's a lot of goodness in a an alaskan of that era, even with the alterations. And for that reason, I was/am interested. Absent some better information, it'd be a leap of faith, which I'm never real good at making.

I am going to try to get some additional and better pictures, so we'll see.

Last edited by setch; 08/02/14.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm looking forward to seeing more pics. Sounds like you are thinking logically as well. Keep us posted.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe $1200 would be a fair price if it is indeed an original .338. Drop it in a Mickey and proceed to slay critters.

Who is John Galt?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,109
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.