Print Thread
Hop To
D
Dingmo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
After shooting bows for a couple of years, I'm wondering if I should go to a single pin sight? If so, which one?

I shoot a 70#, 29.5" draw Drenalin. Pretty flat 20-30 yards, my typical ranges at deer. I find that I only use my top pin - the others are just too cluttered. I did sight the second pin at 40 yards, but never use it. Shot a buck last year at 44 yards - just put my top pin on the top of his shoulder (cut his heart in half with the Rage).

Any advantages of multi-pin that I should consider?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MBG Ascent Ambush Single Pin.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love my HHA...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Single pin user here.

Cowardice is the greatest pandemic that has ever affected mankind.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a single pin, I have enjoyed the use of several different types.

I currently have a Trijicon single pin sight. Its really nice and very accurate. Distance measurements are engraved into the dial. Much better then the other ones which had sticky tape or otherwise hand written numbers with a pen.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
had multi pin. switche to HHA and will never go back

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I currently have a Trijicon single pin sight. Its really nice and very accurate. Distance measurements are engraved into the dial. Much better then the other ones which had sticky tape or otherwise hand written numbers with a pen.
SO if a guy were to adjust the poundage on his bow up or down, OR change to heavier/lighter arrows, etc., just how would you change the yardage settings on that sight? Just curious?

Single slider HHA for me as well..

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm of the opinion that bows for our local deer, are good to 20 yards or less. I hold mine to 15. Just too much chance of wounding a deer unintentionally due to animal movement.

So I run one pin.

If I hunted where deer would hold still the longer shots are easy to hit, its just that here, the deer is often not even close enough to the same spot to hit the deer period by the time the arrow arrives.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I run a multi-pin, tried the HHA, and just couldn't get into it. I keep the extra pins for fox or coyote, and I like to take a stump shot before coming down.

Our deer run from very wary, and very dumb, generally limit the shots to 20-30 yards, and expect that they will jump the string.

Since we have many hardwood trees, the russle of the leaves can cover the sound of the shot, not uncommon to have no movement until the arrow strikes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a 3 pin sight, top pin set at 25yds second at 40 and third at 50. Any close shots and the 25yd pin is perfect - it shoots about 2" high at 20 and 2" low at 30. with a small pin guard it makes it easy to center the housing/peep and pins are not way off center.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
No movement till the arrow strikes and I might have 5 pins on my bow..

I used to have a passle when younger and shot all the time. I was shooting killing size groups to 90 yards in the 80s. But was finding deer would not be around when the arrow arrived.

Pigs on the other hand generally were there. I dont' recall taking anything much past 60ish yards though. Problem back then, miss distance by a yard or two and you missed. NO laser rangefinders etc...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,610
Posts18,454,896
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.