Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What say you? Thanks...

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Not RSA but I used Merrell's in Namibia a few years ago. Did fine.

Headed there again next year and will go with some Danner's.

Undoubtedly, some purists will chime in and recommend Courtney's.

One thing I have seen mentioned more than once is that a leather-lined boot/shoe is preferable to Gore-Tex or other synthetic fiber linings. Supposedly, leather wicks sweat and moisture better than synthetics? The Merrell's (and the Danner's) had Gore-Tex and I never experienced any issues. I was in the Kalahari though so not a lot of rain or bodies of water to cross. Walked a lot though and I'm sure my feet sweated a fair amount.

The key would be finding something that is comfortable to you and get them broken in.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Converse [now Rebok] military desert boots. light weight, great support, and won't break the bank. Wore a pair in Zimbabwe three years ago. Walked over 30 miles, and i have feet issues, they were great!

maddog

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My PH wore Catapillar Transform for about $65 with low Sniper Africa gaiters

When I got home in June I bought a pair and after they get better broken in they will be my boot next time over

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
GaryO, well this topic will open a small can of worms...everyone thinks their choice of boot is the best.
What PintoGuy said...make sure they are Comfy and broken in.
Not a good time for blisters.
When I was in RSA hunting the Eastern Cape, I wore the Hunting boots from LL Bean...they were fine for me.
The photo from Tedthorn (above) look good and I am sure would be fine.
Good luck on your hunt...I had a great time in RSA.

Have Gun, Will Travel. The more dust on the trail, the thicker the soup.
Life Member: NRA & VFW & Six Napoleons
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Gary, don't get too hung up on footwear for South Africa. I often take a look at what the PH and trackers wear...everything from running shoes to sandals to Keds...you name it. As long as they're comfortable to walk in, have a non-slip sole of some sort, and are reasonably thorn-proof, you're fine.

On a recent trip to Burkina Faso,. my luggage didn't make it, and I hunted in a pair of Crocs...worked just fine.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I think Biebs nailed it. I wore the same pair of slip on leather boots I hunt in here in West Texas. I believe they're called Wolverine Raider.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Nothing insulated, but Gortex is okay. Have enough sole for thorns -- ankles, too. What some like is those Desert Storm type with side zippers (mostly for airports).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lowa Zephyr - very light boot, great for flat land of africa.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I wore the same boots I wear here in the USA Irish Setter Elk Trekers.....

I will say they were overkill for RSA but my hunt was a lot of mountains with several fast climbs and fast canyon dumps each day.....a light boot was what I wished I had

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
I wore tennis shoes most of the time. My jeans come over the top pretty well and had no issues. Lots of places where I was, was sandy so take that into consideration. Not to mention how thick it is with brush.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Biebs
Gary, don't get too hung up on footwear for South Africa. I often take a look at what the PH and trackers wear...everything from running shoes to sandals to Keds...you name it. As long as they're comfortable to walk in, have a non-slip sole of some sort, and are reasonably thorn-proof, you're fine.

On a recent trip to Burkina Faso,. my luggage didn't make it, and I hunted in a pair of Crocs...worked just fine.

Biebs and I were together in Zimbabwe last June for Cape Buffalo. A gent in our party developed bad blisters on the third day of the hunt and Biebs kindly lent him his Russells and wound up using his Crocs again for the remainder of the hunt.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wore running shoes and they were fine. The trackers wore street shoes. My PH used Freestyle brand veldskoen ("vellies") with ankle gaiters. I was told that a lot of guys make the mistake of bringing big clunky boots with aggressive tread that make too much noise.

http://www.freestylesa.co.za/product/hunter-boot-unisex

Eric

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This topic is like asking what kind of ice cream you like or how do you like your steak. I wore Russel High Country Hunters for all my trips but one and wore a cheap pair of walkers I bought at Costco for that first trip. Would have worn them more trips but they wore out after I got back as I wore them as work shoes. Had the Russels made simply cause I had always wanted a pair of handmade boots. I was totally satisfied with them as I was with the elcheepos from Costco. Just wear what makes your feet feel good. They will soon tell you if they are the proper boot. Just one old mans opinion.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I wore NB 967 low country walkers and Boyt gaitors.
Would wear the same on next trip.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Best shoes are the quiet ones. Make sure that the sole of the boot is not too thick. The shoe needs to be flexible in order for you to roll your feet on the stalks.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agree with all that say don't over think it for standard plain game. However, there are some nasty thorns that will punch right through athletic shoes. If you go hunting Vaal rhebok or something in the rocks/hills, ankle support does become a concern.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris
Best shoes are the quiet ones. Make sure that the sole of the boot is not too thick. The shoe needs to be flexible in order for you to roll your feet on the stalks.

This. Most hunting in Africa involves stalking. You want to be as quiet as possible so big old vibram soled elk hunting boots are not the ticket.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I just wore Danner Jackals there the last two weeks. They were a bit warm, but otherwise fine.

NRA Patron
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by tedthorn
[Linked Image]
These are similar to my $99 Timberline shoes. Perfect for S.Africa IMO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1moredeer, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,257 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,380
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.