Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What say you? Thanks...

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Not RSA but I used Merrell's in Namibia a few years ago. Did fine.

Headed there again next year and will go with some Danner's.

Undoubtedly, some purists will chime in and recommend Courtney's.

One thing I have seen mentioned more than once is that a leather-lined boot/shoe is preferable to Gore-Tex or other synthetic fiber linings. Supposedly, leather wicks sweat and moisture better than synthetics? The Merrell's (and the Danner's) had Gore-Tex and I never experienced any issues. I was in the Kalahari though so not a lot of rain or bodies of water to cross. Walked a lot though and I'm sure my feet sweated a fair amount.

The key would be finding something that is comfortable to you and get them broken in.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Converse [now Rebok] military desert boots. light weight, great support, and won't break the bank. Wore a pair in Zimbabwe three years ago. Walked over 30 miles, and i have feet issues, they were great!

maddog

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My PH wore Catapillar Transform for about $65 with low Sniper Africa gaiters

When I got home in June I bought a pair and after they get better broken in they will be my boot next time over

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
GaryO, well this topic will open a small can of worms...everyone thinks their choice of boot is the best.
What PintoGuy said...make sure they are Comfy and broken in.
Not a good time for blisters.
When I was in RSA hunting the Eastern Cape, I wore the Hunting boots from LL Bean...they were fine for me.
The photo from Tedthorn (above) look good and I am sure would be fine.
Good luck on your hunt...I had a great time in RSA.

Have Gun, Will Travel. The more dust on the trail, the thicker the soup.
Life Member: NRA & VFW & Six Napoleons
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Gary, don't get too hung up on footwear for South Africa. I often take a look at what the PH and trackers wear...everything from running shoes to sandals to Keds...you name it. As long as they're comfortable to walk in, have a non-slip sole of some sort, and are reasonably thorn-proof, you're fine.

On a recent trip to Burkina Faso,. my luggage didn't make it, and I hunted in a pair of Crocs...worked just fine.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I think Biebs nailed it. I wore the same pair of slip on leather boots I hunt in here in West Texas. I believe they're called Wolverine Raider.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Nothing insulated, but Gortex is okay. Have enough sole for thorns -- ankles, too. What some like is those Desert Storm type with side zippers (mostly for airports).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lowa Zephyr - very light boot, great for flat land of africa.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wore the same boots I wear here in the USA Irish Setter Elk Trekers.....

I will say they were overkill for RSA but my hunt was a lot of mountains with several fast climbs and fast canyon dumps each day.....a light boot was what I wished I had

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I wore tennis shoes most of the time. My jeans come over the top pretty well and had no issues. Lots of places where I was, was sandy so take that into consideration. Not to mention how thick it is with brush.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Biebs
Gary, don't get too hung up on footwear for South Africa. I often take a look at what the PH and trackers wear...everything from running shoes to sandals to Keds...you name it. As long as they're comfortable to walk in, have a non-slip sole of some sort, and are reasonably thorn-proof, you're fine.

On a recent trip to Burkina Faso,. my luggage didn't make it, and I hunted in a pair of Crocs...worked just fine.

Biebs and I were together in Zimbabwe last June for Cape Buffalo. A gent in our party developed bad blisters on the third day of the hunt and Biebs kindly lent him his Russells and wound up using his Crocs again for the remainder of the hunt.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wore running shoes and they were fine. The trackers wore street shoes. My PH used Freestyle brand veldskoen ("vellies") with ankle gaiters. I was told that a lot of guys make the mistake of bringing big clunky boots with aggressive tread that make too much noise.

http://www.freestylesa.co.za/product/hunter-boot-unisex

Eric

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This topic is like asking what kind of ice cream you like or how do you like your steak. I wore Russel High Country Hunters for all my trips but one and wore a cheap pair of walkers I bought at Costco for that first trip. Would have worn them more trips but they wore out after I got back as I wore them as work shoes. Had the Russels made simply cause I had always wanted a pair of handmade boots. I was totally satisfied with them as I was with the elcheepos from Costco. Just wear what makes your feet feel good. They will soon tell you if they are the proper boot. Just one old mans opinion.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I wore NB 967 low country walkers and Boyt gaitors.
Would wear the same on next trip.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Best shoes are the quiet ones. Make sure that the sole of the boot is not too thick. The shoe needs to be flexible in order for you to roll your feet on the stalks.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agree with all that say don't over think it for standard plain game. However, there are some nasty thorns that will punch right through athletic shoes. If you go hunting Vaal rhebok or something in the rocks/hills, ankle support does become a concern.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris
Best shoes are the quiet ones. Make sure that the sole of the boot is not too thick. The shoe needs to be flexible in order for you to roll your feet on the stalks.

This. Most hunting in Africa involves stalking. You want to be as quiet as possible so big old vibram soled elk hunting boots are not the ticket.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I just wore Danner Jackals there the last two weeks. They were a bit warm, but otherwise fine.

NRA Patron
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by tedthorn
[Linked Image]
These are similar to my $99 Timberline shoes. Perfect for S.Africa IMO.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Like Adam I like the Russell's, but I need extra ankle support, so the RM PH's worked well for me. The best analagy I heard was something between a pair of high top sneakers and work boots. Comfyness of sneaks, just somewhat more rugged.

BigBullet
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness.

https://www.facebook.com/Natal-Outfitters-195443607135825/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ab_bentley

These are what I wore in Namibia. Lightest most comfortable boots I've ever had.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I wear leather FootJoy golf shoes. The bottom is completely thorn proof and the plastic golf cleats will not slip.
Leaving next Wed.

Last edited by RinB; 08/14/14.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Last year I wore these Keen Utility Detroit Mid Soft Toe. Link: Keen from Zappos

I was in equatorial Africa for three weeks exactly a year ago, walked several miles every day, it was rainy season so there was a lot of water around. And it rained at least part of every day and was hotter than hell since we were right on the equator. My feet were the only part of me that stayed dry and comfortable.

I'm still wearing them to work. REALLY comfortable lightweight boot and long lasting.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Just returned from Africa- both wife and I wore Keen Targhee boots, from the Eastern Cape mountains, to the Karoo, and the sandy terrain of the Kalahari. They were so comfortable, we even wore them in the evenings rather than our camp shoes!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wear Danner Pronghorns. I've used this boot twice now in the Eastern Cape and KZN. This past June the boot served me well while stalking Vaal rhebok and oribi in the western edge of the Drakensberg Mountains, as well as slipping to within 35 yards of a feeding bushpig at night in the thick bush of the EC. They give me the ankle support I like and the light quietness I desire in a boot.

In addition, this is the same boot I wear when chasing antelope in October to elk in late December. A great all-around boot, IMO.

Goofy aka graybird on other forums

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning"
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I took a pair of Kangaroo boots from Cabelas on my trip last year. They were super light weight and were great for hiking thru the sand and provided great traction on the Kopi. I was 100% satisfied

Last edited by maksmith; 09/07/14.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I hunted the eastern cape almost on the coast and also the Sneeuberge mountains in the Karoo region.

I wore LL bean cresta hikers and felt they were perfect but they are also my favorite boots at home until it gets cold.

I would just wear any uninsulated boot that is well broken in and comfortable to you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I went with Merrell ankle high shoes.

I was looking at taking my Russell or Courtney shoes.

However on this years trip i was planning on leaving all my shoes behind for the trackers and I traveled home in my camp slippers.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I wore my Lowa Renegades and would say they were just about perfect. I think by now you've not only gotten some good recommendations, but also a pretty good set of criteria so you can find what fits you best.

Good luck.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I just returned from 30 days in RSA and Namibia. I used brown leather FootJoy golf shoes. They were the best I used in 18-20 trips. Thorns cannot penetrate the sole and the leather sides are much superior to the running shoes I used many times. Maybe 6 years ago, I bought a pair of Russell PH boots...green with canvas tops. Used them once. Courtney's have zero arch support. These FJ golf shoes were the best ever no kidding.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
On my past 3 trips I wore my Lowa desert boots and was satisfied with their performance overall, especially in the sands of Botswans.

On my most recent trip into the Limpopo Province of SA I was in the rocky mountains a lot and when I return I'll try my Lowa Renegades out. They always do me well in any terrain.

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (12344mag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1234, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,052
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.