Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Arac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well my string on bad news posts is, sadly, about to expand.

Tailings pond breach

The Ministry of Environment said the breach at Mount Polley Mine happened in the middle of the night. The ministry along with the Cariboo Regional District (CRD), RCMP, Central Cariboo Search and Rescue and emergency management crews are investigating and assessing the possible environmental impact.

The water ban, which includes all recreational water activities, bathing, and drinking will be in place until further notice by the CRD. It extends to the entire Quesnel and Cariboo River systems up to the Fraser River, including Quesnel Lake, Cariboo Creek, Hazeltine Creek and Polley Lake.

Quesnel Lake is one of the premier Rainbow Trout lakes in the world. Additionally it is the deepest and longest (~120km) fjord lake in North America. There is a large sockeye run, kokanee, lake trout, bull trout and many non-game species in the lake. It has been managed as a trophy water for some time now. This is a lake where +20lb rainbows are a possibility.

Check out some of the operations on the lake:
Northern Lights Lodge
Elysia Resort

These are the kinds of rainbows found here (not me - just from Elysia Resort):
[Linked Image]

Additionally the waterways connect to the Fraser River which is one of the top salmon rivers in the world, not to mention one of the last rivers in the world with a healthy population of sturgeon.

Man I hope this will not be as bad as it seems...

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Pretty fu ckin stupid place to put an open pit gold mine. Shakin head big time.... Trust me, I know all about this chit I'm from Nevada. Total bs where they put this type of mine with such a big tailings pond. Yes there's a lot of arsenic and cyanide in that water. Up chit creek without a paddle there. Sorry to see it happen!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I can't help but put my tinfoil hat on as this happens just before a record year for wild sockeye. I am NOT a conspiracy guy but............

Warren

Pardon my fat fingered I-phone typing
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
All the mines opened up and they are worried about pipelines. Sad that this happened, there is not any excuse for it but its good to see another industry getting in the news for bad press /public image instead of always the oil /gas.

Arac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by MightyPeace
All the mines opened up and they are worried about pipelines. Sad that this happened, there is not any excuse for it but its good to see another industry getting in the news for bad press /public image instead of always the oil /gas.

I can't see how this can be considered good from any perspective, regardless of the press the oil/gas industry is getting. Why do you think residents in British Columbia are opposed to the Northern Gateway project?

BSA1917hunter hit the nail on the head - who would put an open pit gold mine in such a location? Similarly, who would put a huge pipeline to ship crude to China along the Skeena River? Quesnel Lake supports about 1/4 of all of the Sockeye in BC and now it is likely F-cked. The Skeena River is second only to the Fraser for the volume of salmon in the river. It supports all 5 species.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Gold is where you find it and if gold is there somebody is going to pay enough to get the permits. Given the price of gold today it will support a lot of graft. Not that that happens in Canada. I know the USA is the only Chicago style government in the Americas.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wonderful. Morons.
We need mining, but this kind of stuff is just not acceptable. Someone needs to go to jail, and the mine is now going to operate in order to pay the damages. Morons!

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
So, how is something like this headed off at the pass?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Arac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wabigoon

By admitting that $ isn't the be all, end all.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Arac

The fishing lodges are industries and interested in $ too. I am hopefull the damsges will not be as bad as it looks. It certainly looks bad and why the dam failed is a big concern.

IC B3

Arac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tangozulu
Originally Posted by Arac

The fishing lodges are industries and interested in $ too. I am hopefull the damsges will not be as bad as it looks. It certainly looks bad and why the dam failed is a big concern.

I'm not sure I see the link of "how to head off such an environmental disaster at the pass" relates to a fishing lodge.

Some updates - over 1100lbs of mercury and +160,000lbs of arsenic were in the tailings pond. Locals are posting pictures of dead fish floating in the lake. The sockeye are already in some of the rivers and creeks and the coho are supposed to be arriving in a few weeks.

I was planning on heading that way this weekend...

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Everyone hates environmental regulation ... right up to the point where a lack of oversight allows an "anything for a buck" culture which makes something like this inevitable.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
by Robyn Chambers - Williams Lake Tribune
posted Oct 13, 2011 at 7:00 AM� updated Oct 14, 2011 at 8:53 AM
The Mount Polley Mine application for a permit to discharge effluent into Hazeltine Creek is raising some environmental concerns in area communities. The Ministry of Environment confirmed that the mine applied for the permit in Nov. 2009. Since that time, says Tim Fisch, Mount Polley general manager, the mine has held six public liaison committee meetings in Likely, Big Lake and Williams Lake and held consultations with First Nations. Kirk Dressler, communications co-ordinator for the Williams Lake Indian Band, said the community has concerns and is currently involved in a technical review of the discharge permit.

�Obviously any discharge, particularly into a watershed that is critical habitat for traditional First Nations practices, is of significant concern to us so we want to make sure that the impacts are going to be minimized,� he said, adding to date the WLIB have been unable to conclude whether the discharge will result in �significant� detrimental impacts.

Dressler said that is because the consultant hired by the WLIB did not take into account the separate and recently approved amendment to the mine that leaves the facility�s production rate unchanged but increases its footprint by 15 per cent.

�So despite the fact that he came to some conclusions he really didn�t entertain the prospects of further expansion and so that potentially could have changed as a result, as well, which causes us some concern,� Dressler said.

Some residents of Likely are also on edge, wondering if the discharge permit could compromise the creek and potentially Quesnel Lake. According to resident Erin Robinson, many in the community thought the permit to discharge was off the table following consultation in 2009 when Robinson says it was made clear that the community did not want the discharge permit approved. She said there is a concern among community members for water quality in the creek and lake and the potential impact of mine discharge on the health of salmon runs, tourism, fishing, hunting and recreation activities in the area.

Robinson added baseline data needs to be collected, as well as a detailed monitoring and contingency plan put in place.

For his part, Fisch said he�s confident there is �adequate� base-line data to support the findings of the technical assessment requirements by the Ministry of Environment. He further indicated that monitoring would be conducted in accordance with the federal metal mining effluent regulations, which examine aquatic life to determine whether mine discharge has impacted species. There has also been a collection of data for Hazeltine Creek to be used as a benchmark for the water body before discharge, as well as a reference point throughout. Robinson said she had hoped the mine would remain a closed system, which would mean that no effluent would be released.

Although it is currently closed � the mine is required to capture and store all of its precipitation/runoff from disturbed areas of the site in its tailings storage facility � Fisch says a closed system is difficult as the mine accumulates more water than it can use in a year due to its location in a �net-positive� precipitation zone. Therefore, he said, the amount of runoff requires dam raises and prohibits the formation of proper tailings beaches which could increase seepage and cause conditions that are �geotechnically unstable.�

Robinson further questions the province�s water quality guidelines as it relates to mine discharge.

�They are saying there are certain guidelines that if you fall under this parts per million or whatever then you�re safe.�

According to Mount Polley, discharge effluent will consist of treated mine water containing elements that occur naturally in the Quesnel Lake watershed and would not include man-made chemicals. In August, the provincial government approved a separate permit amendment for Mount Polley that would allow it to continue its current production rate until 2015. According to the company, the amendment is not considered an expansion but an acceptance of a five-year mine plan during which the mine�s production rate remains the same as was permitted in 1997; under the amendment, the mine�s footprint will increase by 15 per cent.

At the time, the Williams Lake Indian Band indicated it was unhappy with the process and suggested there was a lack of consultation between itself and the Crown on the amendment. The WLIB has since said it will pursue action prior to the mine leases being granted.

�We�re pursuing that and hope and expect that the gold commissioner will respect our concerns and that there be no further action in relation to the expansion until our concerns are dealt with,� Dressler said.

�We would expect that the mineral leases would not be issued for Mount Polley until the concerns of the WLIB are addressed. In particular we are emphatic that a traditional-use study should be conducted before the expansion can take place,� he said.
We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I am from just south of where this happened and i have being into that area a number of times - Very SAD to see this happen - there needs to be Severe action against the mineing company for this Dam giving away and this Disaster happening ! NOT forgivable EVER ! RJ

375 H&H The Real KING of 375 's
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hmmm� �There had been accusations the company had been warned this kind of disaster was possible, but Kynoch dispelled that information.�

Seems Mr. Kynoch's version of events differs from a number of other people and third parties. Chief Bev Sellers said warnings in a 2011 environmental consultant's report about the pond, commissioned by her band, the Williams Lake First Nation, and Imperial Metals (your own company), were not heeded by your company. "He (Environmental Consultant; Brian Olding) had concerns about the tailings pond but they were basically ignored," she said.

The report, by Brian Olding, who operates Brian Olding and Associates Ltd., said the tailings pond was accumulating water so quickly that it would have needed to discharge about 1.4 million cubic metres of water a year to keep its levels stable. "A sustainable means of discharging excess water is required because dam building cannot continue indefinitely," the report said in June 2011. The report also criticized the company for not having a contingency plan in case of a tailings pond failure. It wasn't clear Tuesday if such a plan had been developed between the report's completion and the dam breach on Monday that left the area looking like a lunar landscape. Olding said in an interview that no analysis of the dam's structural integrity was done as part of the review. "I requested a structural engineering company be involved, and that was nixed. They did not want to deal with that problem at that time."

Gerald MacBurney, a foreman at the dam for seven years before he recently quit, claimed the dam was breached last May and that weakened the whole system. "When you get a breach, there's more than one spot it breached. It weakened the whole system," he said in an interview. "And that's where it popped, right where it was breached. ... I knew it was going to burst."

An emotional Kynock flatly denied the claim. "The dam has never failed before," he told the crowd.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-mine-president-denies-being-warned-tailings-pond-would-fail-1.1946241

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After some reflection on this, plus reading the strong, credible warnings given about the dam before it burst:

I blame environmentalists for a significant portion of the disaster.

Those nitwits run around protesting everything at full volume, so that we and the public and government regulators begin to ignore them like we would a boy constantly crying "wolf!"

Somewhere amid screeches at news conferences about tainted toenails on snail darters and soiled hair on white Kermode bears, there were environmental concerns about a vast lake impoundment of arsenic held by a dam on the verge of bursting with no back-up plan.

It angers and annoys me to see such important environmental concerns lost in the blizzard of micro silliness.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Okanagan
After some reflection on this, plus reading the strong, credible warnings given about the dam before it burst:

I blame environmentalists for a significant portion of the disaster.

Those nitwits run around protesting everything at full volume, so that we and the public and government regulators begin to ignore them like we would a boy constantly crying "wolf!"

Somewhere amid screeches at news conferences about tainted toenails on snail darters and soiled hair on white Kermode bears, there were environmental concerns about a vast lake impoundment of arsenic held by a dam on the verge of bursting with no back-up plan.

It angers and annoys me to see such important environmental concerns lost in the blizzard of micro silliness.

Shooting the messenger is a time-honored pastime.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
More than messengers I see them as self appointed guardians of the environment. That is a noble task, and I applaud the intent.

To the extent that they are self appointed messengers of warning, my point is that they have worn out their audience with torrents of trivial messages. Therefore they failed in their mission and failed to communicate their message.

I'd like to shoot them for not having enough sense nor discernment to distinguish between serious and trivial. Also for not having enough communications sense to shut up once in awhile instead of becoming irrelevant white noise background.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Imperial Metals has donated at least $149,890 since 2005 to the BC Liberal Party and Murray Edwards - the company's controlling shareholder - helped organize a $1-million fundraiser for them (In Calgary. Lots of BC voters must have been in town). Meanwhile, Christy Clark promised to streamline environmental reviews in the mining sector. Coincidence? http://bit.ly/1mJKBN2

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Imperial has plans for more mining in a much more sensitive area than in the Likely area, like in the upper Adam's river system.
I think they will have their wings clipped and all the backroom deals with a sympathetic government wont be enough for them to jump this hurdle

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

596 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 06hunter59, 60 invisible), 2,212 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,284
Posts18,448,683
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.