Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
OP Offline
B
Looking to get a Longbow - does anyone have any recommendations? Newbie to the forums here and newbie to bowhunting.

Thank ya

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Bear Montana, 45#. Sign up at Tradgang.com, it's a great resource with lots of friendly, helpful and experienced traditional archers.

And welcome to traditional archery as well as the Campfire!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Tradgang and also the Leatherwall

http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/tf/lw/threadsx2.cfm

Traditional bowhunting is on the rise, welcome to the fire

[Linked Image]

"We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

"We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past"
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Get on Tradgang and the Leatherwall and see if you can hook up with some local trad shooters. You really need to try some different bows to see what you like.

My best advice would be to buy a 62"-64" reflex deflex bow of about 45 lbs draw weight. Don't spend a lot since you will likely trade or sell it when you find something you like better. A good used bow of high quality is your best bet.

Have you ever shot trad before?

IC B2

B
OP Offline
B
Thank you gents. I want to be able to pick off Ebola Zombie's without making a sound. wink

My fianc� also wants one to learn to hunt/play with.

B
OP Offline
B

I have not. I agree to get a good used longbow-any ideas where or what to get?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd suggest you attend a traditional shoot somewhere, meet some people and shoot numerous bows. It may sound simple on paper, but there are a ton of variation of longbows, from primitave selfbows, English, American, through all the wacked out reflex/deflex short bows that are neither long nor straight. All having different characteristics, handle/grip profiles, feel at the draw and loose, etc. Even when looking at something plain jane simple as a Hill style longbow, you still have numerous variations such as string follow, straight, and backset, along with reverse handles.

So when you are brand spanking new with zero traditional bow experience, and you say I want to get a good used longbow, the answers can be all over the map. Get out there, pick up some basic fundementals, shoot a bunch of bows, and get behind something that you find easiest or easier to shoot. This may not even be any sort of longbow, and you may find some other form of traditional bow much easier for you as a starter bow.

I'd suggest something simple along the lines of a starter target bow that is very forgiving and allows you to develop technique.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by BlackLabHogan5

I'll look at some sites in the next couple days and see if I can make some recommendations.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I also recommend attending a trad shoot in your area, it will help reduce your learning curve tremendously.

You might also contact Mike at Maddog Archery, he makes a budget bow called the MUTT, which is just black glass and whatever leftover woods he has laying around. Good bows and he'll stand behind whatever he builds.

Do your shopping for arrows and accessories at a traditional archery shop as well, few compound centered shops know much about trad bows and arrows. I recommend Raptor Archery (Hood River, Oregon), 3Rivers, Kustom King, and Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear (Arvada, Colorado). All these shops sell bows as well, some used as well as new.

http://raptorarchery.com/
http://www.3riversarchery.com/
http://www.kustomkingarchery.com/
http://www.rmsgear.com/store/pc/index_new.asp

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I don't think that a longbow is the way to go for a newbe myself. I would suggest something like a Samick Sage at about 35# - learn to shoot it, then work into a longbow. There is a book called "Shooting the Stickbow", I highly recommend spending your first $20 on that book. Enjoy your new hobby.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Trad Gang and the Leatherwall both have Classified sections where people sell their used bows.

http://www.shrewbows.com/

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
>>I don't think that a longbow is the way to go for a newbe myself.<<

With modern r/d longbows like RH is recommending I don't think a recurve would provide a substantial advantage. In some situations (women, teens) the lighter mass weight of the bow could actually be an advantage. I saw that when my daughter (adult) started shooting. She preferred the longbow and is quite accurate with it.

If the longbow was a Hill-type, ELB or selfbow then I agree with the recurve recommendation.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Toelke whip has been a joy to shoot. I switched from right handed compound shooting to lefthanded longbow shooting and enjoy it. Don't know that I am that good, but it is a great bow. I really like the Big Jim quiver and seems like a little more mass helps my shooting.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I have a LH Whip as well...I really like it but have recurves too. I don't find it more difficult to shoot than my recurves but have no other long bows to compare. Bruce

B
OP Offline
B
I am LH. Probably should have said that upfront. Thanks so much for the wisdom.

Keep it coming!

And if you all have recommendations for meeting up with groups, I live in Dallas. Wondering where I could go to learn more-I am way better with a "hands on" approach and consider myself to be highly skilled as far as hand/eye coordination.

Last edited by BlackLabHogan5; 08/07/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LostArra
>>I don't think that a longbow is the way to go for a newbe myself.<<

With modern r/d longbows like RH is recommending I don't think a recurve would provide a substantial advantage. In some situations (women, teens) the lighter mass weight of the bow could actually be an advantage. I saw that when my daughter (adult) started shooting. She preferred the longbow and is quite accurate with it.

If the longbow was a Hill-type, ELB or selfbow then I agree with the recurve recommendation.

Nothing wrong with a longbow, but starting out a recurve is usually easier. Typically a recurve has a little more repeatable grip, is cut past center making tuning easier and often limb swaps are not to expensive. Starting with a light bow that is easy to control is the way to go - not that it can't be done with a longbow but usually requires a new bow to increase weight or a set of limbs for a custom longbow costs big $.
FWIW I have owned a several Martin Savannahs, Bear's and a Toelke Whip - the Whip was by far the best longbow I have ever owned, but in the end I am more accurate with recurves - and only accurately shot arrows are interesting! Shooting Trad accurately is difficult enough with adding in a handicap to begin with.

Last edited by centershot; 08/08/14.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I am LH. Probably should have said that upfront. Thanks so much for the wisdom.

Keep it coming!

And if you all have recommendations for meeting up with groups, I live in Dallas. Wondering where I could go to learn more-I am way better with a "hands on" approach and consider myself to be highly skilled as far as hand/eye coordination.

Get on Tradgang and ask around. There is also a section devoted to trad events that will tell you of anything in your area. There is surly a trad club close to you. Just ask the guys at tradgang.

Honestly, the best thing is to shoot a bunch of bows and see what you really like and shoot well.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven, a bent beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men."

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hill bows stacked bad and had hand shock. I have a Bama bow that is a pleasure to shoot. I also have a PSE semi recurve that is great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,755 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,885
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.