Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Bill, that's ok by me. I just wanted you to know that I meant no offence in any way. I really enjoy my ILF bows and I also enjoy bows from very good bowyers. I've always considered you as one of the good guys.

I would think that there is as much difference in ILF limbs as there are in custom bowyer's limbs. Some are top notch and some are not. It pays to know exactly what you are buying. I've had and seen some crap by custom bowyers and I've had some ILF crap.

My Winex and Samick Masters are by far the best limbs I have ever shot by anyone.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm glad you like the ILF attachment system... But some of your posts border on hyperbole and the fact is that even the best ILF limbs don't perform any better than the limbs from dozens of custom bowyers...or the latest mass produced Bear for that matter.

Here are the numbers on the BF Extremes, which are top of the line limbs. Good, not great efficiency.

http://www.blackysbowreviews.com/ilf-bows/bf-extreme/bf-extreme.htm

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I'm glad you like the ILF attachment system... But some of your posts border on hyperbole and the fact is that even the best ILF limbs don't perform any better than the limbs from dozens of custom bowyers...or the latest mass produced Bear for that matter.

Here are the numbers on the BF Extremes, which are top of the line limbs. Good, not great efficiency.

http://www.blackysbowreviews.com/ilf-bows/bf-extreme/bf-extreme.htm

I've never considered Tradteck very good limbs. I don't care how they label them.

You aren't going to get a vast difference in efficiency or speed from any limbs. I doubt there's 10 FPS difference in any of them. What I did say is that ILF's allow you to shoot lighter arrows safely which is not hyperbole. Do you know of any custom bowyers that recommend or warranty 5gpp arrows from their bows? I doubt that you do yet I have shot thousands of arrows slightly heavier than that through my Winex limbs with no ill effects.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Those limbs are Samicks...and the most expensive on the planet.

I knew you'd go 'there' as to the light arrow thing because that what ILF proponents always do as a last result to declare the 'superiority' of those limbs.

Any limb can shoot light arrows. You enjoy the fact that they warrantee them whilst shooting them...but it reality I doubt they hold up any better than any other limb.

Next you'll bring up the foam cores and how they don't vary as much in humidity blah blah blah.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I actually don't care enough about what you shoot to argue about it. I was simply giving my opinion. I don't disrespect yours.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I actually don't care enough about what you shoot to argue about it. I was simply giving my opinion. I don't disrespect yours.

I'm just giving my opinion too...and don't disrespect yours either.

However, I didn't care for your 'tone' concerning custom bows and garages.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Tone is difficult to determine by a quickly written response. The fact is that many bowyers are working off forms that they made in their work shops or garages. Some may be good, some are not.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Wild_Bill_375
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I do not however blame you for being a bit defensive.

RH please don't misunderstand my "Now that's funny" as being defensive. Cause I certainly did not mean to come across as defensive. I really thought that was funny!

"As far as being perfectly matched, I don't see it as important on a bow where tiller is adjustable." Funny how most company/sponsored shooters actually request matched limbs...at least they used to back when I was making a run at an Olympic spot.

I would venture a guess that guys making a serious run for the Oympics are not shooting production line limbs. I would even go so far as to venture a guess that one bowyer makes the limbs on a "special" form in his "special" workshop.

Tolerances and good craftsmanship do not care where they are applied. Hoyt, Samick, or someone's garage/shop.

RH,
I like 10gpp for hunting. We have had the discussion before about how my focus is bowhunting and yours is target archery/competitions.

I do not gap shoot, walk the string or anything like that. I am simply an instinctive shooter that focuses on the spot I want the arrow to hit.

But we are off track here, Rick wanted a smooth, easy drawing bow. Widows draw hard, just like Robertson's, Super Kodiaks not so much. The static tip recurves get lighter feeling in the draw due to the mechanical advantage when the tips come over the top. They are also quieter shooting than working tip recurves.

Arcus Venator
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
This has been a great thread, learned a bunch.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Since the op is interested in ILF bows I can understand the discussion.

I'm having a harder time understanding the relevance of 6gpp arrows on a bow hunting forum.

(Wild Bill's Peerless should be included in any top shelf recurve discussion. I was fortunate to be able to shoot one that my friend had temporarily.)

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm having a harder time understanding the relevance of 6gpp arrows on a bow hunting forum.

The OP said he was interested in trying a DAS bow. They use ILF limbs with the old Sky bushing. You can even punch out the ILF fitting and attach a DAS fitting which is what was done on the first DAS bows.

That lead to my suggestion that it might be easier to just get a similar riser that utilizes the ILF fitting so you can use a wider variety of limbs without fooling with changing the bushing.

My suggestion that ILF limbs were superior to home made limbs by Bubba who ordered a Bingam kit offended some folks and the argument started.

The light arrow part was just to make a point that good ILF limbs will take that kind of stress where most custom limbs won't.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The light arrow part was just to make a point that good ILF limbs will take that kind of stress where most custom limbs won't

You can't prove that, period.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Ok then, custom bows made in garages are superior in every way. That's why they dominate in every shooting sport

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R H,

I am not saying that, it is all in who is building them.

I have owned ZERO ILF bows. I appreciate your information on the subject. But the few recurves I have shot and looked over have not really impressed me.

I am a longbow guy as it fits the KISS theory I subscribe to better. When I am 5 miles into the mountains or on a two week Alaska hunt, I want KISS equipment.

I am going to sell a couple of recurves to fund an ILF riser w/ longbow limbs. What brand ILF longbow limbs do you suggest? Samick, Dryad?

Arcus Venator
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
64" recurves are my favorite. I've only got three bows a 64" Quinn Stallion @ 48#. A 64" Bigfoot Sasquatch @ 50# and Black Widow PTF-X long as I could get it..62" 49#. All good shooters.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by CRS
R H,

I am not saying that, it is all in who is building them.

I have owned ZERO ILF bows. I appreciate your information on the subject. But the few recurves I have shot and looked over have not really impressed me.

I am a longbow guy as it fits the KISS theory I subscribe to better. When I am 5 miles into the mountains or on a two week Alaska hunt, I want KISS equipment.

I am going to sell a couple of recurves to fund an ILF riser w/ longbow limbs. What brand ILF longbow limbs do you suggest? Samick, Dryad?

To be honest, I don't know which long bow limbs would be best. Which riser are you looking at?

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was thinking a Trad Tech Titan 17". But have not gotten too far into the research yet. Open to suggestions.

Arcus Venator
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've shot that riser and like it a lot. What's your draw length and what length bow did you have in mind?

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I draw 28.5 to 29" depending on grip and want a 60 or 62" bow. Looks like a 15 or 17" riser will get me there with the long limbs.

Tough part is going to be finding a riser with a grip I like.

The 15" Trad tech Onyx or Recon has a med/low handle style that I prefer.

The 17" Titan would work, but I would have to check and see if the grip is available in low/med. Or I could pull the grip off and reshape it. I have never really liked that style of grip.

Dryad also appeals to me as I could order the riser with a low grip. But then I am going that dang custom route and garage construction. grin

I wish I could handle a bunch of them side by side.

For limbs I am looking at wood/glass or carbon. I would like to stay away from foam as I have heard of some durability issues with hard use. If I just stuck to archery ranges it would be OK, but who knows where any of my bows may end up.

Most of the TradTech/Samick longbow limbs in both wood and carbon are on backorder.

I could order Dryad right from the source getting the exact weight I want with great customer service from the guys that make the product.

Arcus Venator
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
CRS,

You may want to also look at Sky Archery & Morrison Archery offering. Both offer aluminum & wood ILF risers & longbow limbs.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (808outdoors, 338reddog, AB2506, 19rabbit52, 338Rules, 5spd, 12 invisible), 1,570 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,115
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.