Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#9076918 08/05/14
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
What are the better new bow's they are marketing today. I'm wanting 62 or 64 inch w/ 45lb pull.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/bows/ilf-traditional-bows/ilf-take-down-risers.html?archery_type=5

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/w-w-winex-recurve-limbs.html

Or if looking for something more traditional
https://blackwidowbows.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=104_59

Best way to buy a Widow is used. They have what's called the Widow wall where owners sell used bows. PM me if you need a serial # to log on and shop.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 08/05/14.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
>>What are the better new bow's they are marketing today.<<

Sometimes there is a difference in "better bows" and "marketing".

Black Widow (used), Stalker by South Cox (also has a try before buy), Fox Archery are three recurves that I would look at.

Bob Sarrels in Manchaca, Texas also makes a nice bow (I've only shot his longbows)

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I have and have shot widow's for 20 years. The older I get they seem to stack worse every year. I was thinking about trying one of these DAS bows

Last edited by rickmenefee; 08/05/14.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have one of the first 17 bows that came to 3 Rivers when they started selling the DAS bows as a Dalaa. Back then it was no secret that they used carbon Winex limbs with a Maple core. Later they started selling cheaper ( I think) limbs and dipping them so you couldn't see the edge layers.

Personally, if I was going that route again, I would buy the Trad Tech Titan with ILF fittings so you don't have to fool with changing limbs and you can use any ILF limbs without changing bushings.

I haven't shot or handled one but that Trad tech Titan 19" riser looked very nice for someone with a longer draw. You would get a 64" bow with long limbs.

I've gone to shooting 25" ILF risers for fun and competition. You can't describe how smooth a 68" recurve is with world class limbs. For hunting, I have a PLX and the Dalaa in 60". I draw 29".

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Alaska Bowhunting Qarbon Nano .....with an extra set of limbs.

America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Alaska Bowhunting Qarbon Nano .....with an extra set of limbs.

America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Both of my brothers have Nano's. Both Bows the limbs have not held up. Customer service sucks also.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by rickmenefee
Both of my brothers have Nano's. Both Bows the limbs have not held up. Customer service sucks also.

They looked a little gimmicky to me. You cannot go wrong with a good metal ILF riser that will allow you to adjust tiller and preload and a set of known world class limbs like Win & Win Winex. You can always put some camo tape on them for hunting. I would much rather shoot what has been proven with the Olympic shooters than something someone is hailing as the latest and greatest.

I have many thousands of arrows at slightly over 6 gpp through my Winex limbs with nary an issue.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 08/05/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bear Super Kodiak. Easy to shoot, makes you look as good as you can be.

Last edited by 5thShock; 08/06/14.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a Titan III (19") riser. Nice riser, but pretty expensive for what your getting. I have also owned Dryad, Morrison, Sky, Hoyt Excel, Dorado, Buffalo and several one piece wood bows. IF I were to spend big money on a new bow it would be a SKY TDX 21 w/ shorts for a 62" bow. I am currently shooting a Hoyt Dorado and shoot it as well or better than any bow or setup that I have ever owned. The grip is excellent for me. They can be found used for around $300-350.
ILF limbs can be made to work on the Dorado riser as well with swapping of a bushing.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by centershot
I had a Titan III (19") riser. Nice riser, but pretty expensive for what your getting. I have also owned Dryad, Morrison, Sky, Hoyt Excel, Dorado, Buffalo and several one piece wood bows. IF I were to spend big money on a new bow it would be a SKY TDX 21 w/ shorts for a 62" bow. I am currently shooting a Hoyt Dorado and shoot it as well or better than any bow or setup that I have ever owned. The grip is excellent for me. They can be found used for around $300-350.
ILF limbs can be made to work on the Dorado riser as well with swapping of a bushing.

I currently shoot a Spigerelli 650 Club 25" but I've always wanted a Best Zenit 23". I like Winex limbs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, I'm certainly biased because I'm in the business but I'll gladly stand Dryad's ACS recurves & longbows up against any out there.

www.dryadbows.com

John

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Brackenbury, I assume still in business. But extremely good smooth non stacking bow for us.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Anything from Bob Lee Archery.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can't go wrong with a Schafer Silvertip.

Before I switched to 'tips, I shot a Hummingbird Kingfisher. Smooth, quiet, and accurate.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a Dryad Orion longbow for a while, very nice rig. I have also owned an Epic ILF riser but did not care for the high grip on it - good quality piece but with wood you get what you get. I would like to try an Oracle longbow some day. Nice to see the folks from Dryad on this site, every dealing with them I have had was top shelf.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
D
DZG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
One of the finest custom recurves and bowyer available today is a Custom Wes Wallace Bow. For those that don't know Wes, he was Jim Brakenberry's partner and bowyer before Jim died tragically on the John Day River. I have Brakenberry's, but they are not the same bow since his death. May he rest in Peace. Wes began building his own bows and carried on his long standing quality. I now have three of his bows and I am in love with all of them. Smoothest recurve I have personally drawn. Besides he is one of the greatest friends you will ever make. He lives in BeaverCreek, Oregon. Shoot straight!

Hunting is about everything you do before you pull the trigger.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
There are literally dozens of companies that make quality recurves. Shoot a bunch if you can, and then make your decision.

My current favorite is a Palmer double carbon. The grip is perfect for me and I'm very accurate with it.

The ILFs are a good way to go if you like that style of bow.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by DZG
Jim Brakenberry's
I have Brakenberry's, but they are not the same bow since his death.

That would be Brackenbury...Jim Brackenbury.

Your comment about them not being same bow...is an uneducated statement. The Legend & Phantom are now being made better today.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 3,033 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,337
Posts18,468,690
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.