Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
byd Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Something different kettlebells, Look up Steve Cotter its strength and Cardio all at once.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by smokepole
And cut down starches from grains.

Yep. Cutting down on starches is good too. The biggest thing I see from the paleo stuff is how fleeting the results are. Folks get used to eating lots of meat and fat, and then eventually incorporate carbs back into the mix. They end off worse than when they started. So basically they spend a bunch of money/time eating meat like a caveman, only to end up fatter. A small percentage end up keeping it off, but most don't.

Momma does all my cooking. I do all the earning. I eat what she puts in front of me. She's headed to town today to give birth to our second, so I'm thinking I'll be eating pretty lean the next 6 months as she knocks off the weight she gained in the pregnancy.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My work out regime consists of getting up a 5:30 a.m. driving 125 miles to job site( driving endurance) , doing 8-10 hrs. of field surveying a day on foot mostly , carrying gear, walking , and exercising my brain, then driving 125 miles back home. Involves walking rough terrain,. carrying plenty of crap, and even some goofing around as my co workers are twice my size and 25 yrs. younger then me..... Elk hunting is like relaxation compared to work for me.......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tag

The time is drawing nearer for the American People to stand up for what they believe in. To stop having their rights trampled by the a$$holes in Washington D.C.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
the thing about carbs is, if you eat a lot of fruits, vegetables, and nuts, you get plenty of carbs without resorting to grains.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The medical and science communities have made many valuable discoveries since the 70's. They continue to do so.
Anybody can do a study, Battue. But to be accepted and to withstand the test of time, they have to meet certain standards.
That's why the various diets come and go. E

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by wyoming260
My work out regime consists of getting up a 5:30 a.m. driving 125 miles to job site( driving endurance) , doing 8-10 hrs. of field surveying a day on foot mostly , carrying gear, walking , and exercising my brain, then driving 125 miles back home. Involves walking rough terrain,. carrying plenty of crap, and even some goofing around as my co workers are twice my size and 25 yrs. younger then me..... Elk hunting is like relaxation compared to work for me.......

Used to have the same job. I'm more fit today from a 20min workout. Counter intuitive to many but the numbers don't lie.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by smokepole
the thing about carbs is, if you eat a lot of fruits, vegetables, and nuts, you get plenty of carbs without resorting to grains.

I would argue that if you eating vary many carbs in the form of grains, then you are either overeating or not eating enough fruits and vegetables. That or not getting enough protein.

The Zone Diet cannot be refuted. It is based on biochemical parameters that are just as un-defiable as gravity, ignorance of them changes nothing.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
But to be accepted and to withstand the test of time, they have to meet certain standards.

Pray tell, what are those standards, and which information you've posted meets them.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The standards are the study must be shown to have controled for variables, have a significantly large sample and be repeatable by other reasearchers. After being published and critiqued by others in the field, it is then usually accepted until other studies tend to confirm or refine it's conclusions.
All of the information I've posted have come from such studies. E

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I suppose we'll have to take your word for it, since you've never cited one.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've cited my easy to find source, The UC Berkeley Wellness Letter, many times. They cite the studies that apply in all of their articles.
The best source to explain the benefits of the Federal Food Guidelines I've found it Body Fueling by Roblyn Landis. She cites all of the applicable studies as well. E

Last edited by Oheremicus; 08/24/14.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A newsletter is now a refereed journal. You learn something new every day.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Try readng it before you decide what it is. E

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have spent some time reading quite a few of their articles I could find on the internet, and it seems like UCB only allows studies that agree with their seemingly agenda.

Surely there must be some conflicting studies-and there are in places such as the New England Journal of Medicine-that if they were open to acknowledging the work of others they would find deserving for open discussion.

Do you know of any example of them doing so?

Last edited by battue; 08/25/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've played competitive judo and been an infantry officer which had two different training regimes.

What's funny, is that when I was doing judo 5 days a week and lifting heavy too, I think I humped the hills much better than when I was doing PT and running lots of miles per day.

Seems to me that the repetitive training for 5 minute matches led to explosive lung capacity (basically tabata) and tied with the lifting (squats and sled) to stabilize the legs, that was the best combo. For judo, I found alternating rounds worked real well in the dojo, coupled with wind sprints up the stadium ramps or stairs.

Massive road running capability without load was not the ideal training for chasing elk in the hills. Especially, if you are humping out loads and don't want to blow a knee. But I amble too. Never in a hurry unless needed.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by wyoming260
Elk hunting is like relaxation compared to work for me.......

Yup. I used to hunt like that.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The editors of the Wellness Letter discuss conflicting studies on a regular basis. They often cite studies done by the New England Journal of Medicine and many others like them.
If the studies are not conclusive, or don't seem to agree, they say so with comments like "the jury is still out," and recommed the conclusions not be accepted at present. E

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
�.and sometimes do they think studies that are on the side of protein and fat are valid?

BTW: Studies say us seasoned fellows can use a little more of each than the younger crowd. wink

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by battue
�.and sometimes do they think studies that are on the side of protein and fat are valid?

BTW: Studies say us seasoned fellows can use a little more of each than the younger crowd. wink

They are finding that a lot of what we've chalked up as "aging" is malnutrition. Lowfat/high sugar diets are causing the explosion of dementia. Not enough protein is causing sarcopenia.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

604 members (10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 74 invisible), 2,037 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,263
Posts18,448,214
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.