Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
tmitch. I tried the biggest I have which was about .090. Then I took the aperture completely out and used the threaded hole. My problem was that all I saw was a blur.

If I put a smaller aperture in at the range and really fuss around a a lot, I can usually hit the black at 100 yards( 6"). But when hunting this doesn't work for me

I went back to the FO sights which I don't like, but I can line up the FO green and red tubes at least. Which is why I did not persue traditional iron sights as suggested. My Dr. won't sign the form that would let me use a scope in Colorado.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
saddlesore, I don't know your past experience with peep sights, so don't take it the wrong way, I'm not pickin on ya. It might be you're tying too hard. When you say all you see is a blur, that's what you're supposed to see. You don't want to focus on the aperture at all, you just want to look through it. Your eye will naturally seek the brightest spot, which happens to be the center of the aperture. Forget about the rear sight, look through the hole and put your front bead on the elk....... an kill it! Ross Seyfried did an article a couple years ago on them.
http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/the-envelope-please-my-best-rifle-sight-award-goes-to/

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
This is not what I referenced in the above post, but it looks interesting.

http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/shop/item.asp?item=19215

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Tmitch.No offense taken. I used peep sights for NRA matches and my M1 for many years in the past. I have had one on my Hawkin for many years also. In the past several years, my eyes have really been worse. What I mean by fuzzy is that ignoring the peep and concentrating on the front sight/target, the front sight is blurred. The front sight is at a distance that is too little for a lens prescription to see well at a distance, and too long for a prescription to see at close range. Prescription glasses can get the target clear or the front sight clear, but not both. Right now, it's compromise on both.

My eye doctor is a shooter also, and he has helped me about as much as he can.I need to find a Dr, that will sign the form I need for CO CPW to permit me to use a 1X scope at least. The alternative is to give up ML hunting, at least in Colorado.

If I use the FO sight, I can align the color reasonably, and fairly make out an equal distance on each side, but not great, but then get more focus on the target. Using traditional iron sights, is out of the question.

The solution, in reference to my original post, although not optimal, would be to find a FO sight that goes into dovetail and then get screw on dovetail as Leon posted in his last post. This would make a more stable base at least

My original post described method for me to at least get me thru this years ML season. Then I have another year to try to fix the problem.

I am ok in handgun shooting if I keep the distance at 25 feet or less. Then I can use my prescription lenses to keep everything. reasonably in focus.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/30/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Hold on while I get the taste of my foot out of my mouth......

I see your dilemma now Saddlesore, didn't realize it was a blurry front sight. Boy, your Dr. isn't doing you any favors either, hope you find one a bit more understanding. Not to beat a dead horse, have you tried the FO front/aperture rear combo? I know it's getting late for this season

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by tmitch
Hold on while I get the taste of my foot out of my mouth......

Not to beat a dead horse, have you tried the FO front/aperture rear combo? I know it's getting late for this season

Yes,I put a Williams peep on the back and bought higher front FO sight.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

419 members (10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 163bc, 33 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,027 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.