Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
offered to pick up docdb from FBKS int'l (lol) as I didn't want him to get lost in that gigantic airport

actually he was to arrive at 4:30 p.m. today and catch Warbelows 5:30 flight

so with the quick turnaround and having to go from the west ramp to the east figured he could use a hand.

also figured with that tight of a window he'd best have a back up plan in case of luggage snafus.

so texting back and forth while he was in Seatac we came up with a gear list

rifle, ok NULA 7mm-08 and yes docdb is a southpaw so my rifle would fit him

ammo, yep barnes tsx 120 gr.

binocs, he opted for the 10x40 Zeiss instead of the 10x25's but I threw both in

bag, TNF Meow 20F

pad, again opted for closed cell 3/4 vs. full length neoair

hikin pole, he thanked me greatly for remembering that piece of kit

and a pack, he voted for the MR, instead of the McHale he sold me, but I threw in the Kifaru silnylon jic, turns out a Kifaru is what he brought, but not sure if it was their silnylon version

anyhoo threw all that stuff in the Taco, met him at the airport where I proceeded to let him walk right by me. Saw the guy go by, but didn't recognize him.

We got his stuff and made it to Warbelows at 5:06 p.m. whereupon they told him he'd lost his seat for not checking in by 5.....oh oh

place was a zoo

but they got him out on the 7 p.m. flight to Ft. Yukon and all is well

except I've got damn near everything in my truck to go sheep hunting and my fat azz is sittin on my deck typing : (

didn't bother me throwing stuff together, cause my mind was on taking care of him, but now that he's airborne and I've sheep gear to put away, I'm missing high country pretty bad.

only cure I reckon is to get low. And since I bought a six pack of Bulleit the other day. Well I'm off to mix a drink

and just how was your day?

mine was good, getting to shake hands with a true southern gentleman and very good guy

and then bad, I have to go put sheep gear away.

damnit all

I should be in the mtns.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Got sheep gear to put away..."

Few words carry such depth of sadness.

You should be in the mtns. Go - they are right there.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are a good man Randy.

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not surprised by your kindness Randy, you're a good dude and someday soon we'll have beers and talk sheep hunting.

I miss not being in the sheep mountains as well. The license plate on my truck reads FLLCRL and I had the gate guard on JBER ask me when I was heading out. Sadly, I told him there was no sheep hunt planned for this year.

But now i'm starting to have second thoughts and may go next weekend for a short 3 day jaunt in an area a couple hours drive from here.

Hunting season is almost upon us and I haven't even bought my license yet, I need to get with the program.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Randy is a good man!...bout the best in FBX.

Too bad as I was up there yesterday visiting a very young and attractive Dr. I coulda hauled more gear up and increased the choices. No lefties though.

I hurried back from Dr. visit to get ready for two youngsters with Taylor Highway Youth Hunt [caribou] tags but the herd has turned westward and is not near the road as they often are at this time.

I hope docdb can get some good critters.......and brings Randy some sheep loin!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
well I can think of no better time to announce my candidacy....for dog catcher blush

appreciate the kind words fellers but they're overdone, docdb is a heckuva good guy, my pleasure to finally meet him

there's plenty of guys on here that know what it is to plan and anticipate a hunt, I didn't do anything for Don that any of the rest of us wouldn't do for one another. End of story

hadn't really give much thought to sheep hunting, until I started assembling gear. I love to hunt but I'm sure most of you fellow sheep and goat hunters would agree, ain't nothing like hunting high country. Price of admission is often steep, but worthwhile.

Hey Vernesto, I hear good things about the cave, we were thru Big D a week or so ago and tried to call you, but I know you're pretty busy there entertaining all those young Russian lasses.

if the creek don't rise, we're headed to Tok again Sat. nite, been looking at houses down there and mom wants to get a few more berries, to add the 7 gallons we've collected so far.

if you're available, me and momma would love to have your company at the Cave, our treat, we've heard good things about the place.

I'll try and call you tomorrow, to let you know our itinerary.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good job Randy

Of course I knew it would be well done as always.

One of these days we'll manage to shake hands at a minimum!

TOK is a nice area too! I"m not sure if I"m heading that way to Delta from ANC on the 5th or the other direction... I like the TOK drive a bit better personally, but it makes me miss a sidebar to get an access permit...

TOK has a nice bull behind glass there... a once in a lifetime bull IMHO..

Anyway well done. Enjoy the fall!

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Hey guys.

I am a victim of SB21. My "new" partner who is 21 years old and ram hungry as they can get. He missed a double broomer 36' incher last year that his partner nailed. He got called up by the pipefitters for 7/12s and I am partnerless again. Trouble is that we start the school year next Tuesday- August 12th. 2 days earlier than they advertised in the calendar last spring.

I do have plans to go back to Barnard glacier again at the end of August and be there for 10 days. However, I really wanted a twofer season with two hunts.

AKMtnHuntr pm me. I have a great spot that Frank Robbins verified that is a real quickie.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PM sent Thomas.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dammmmmmmmn...I'm at home reading about others off a huntin...my world is slipping away.....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B3

D
D
I hope that the hunt works out. It's best when we all take care of ourselves. Good deeds seem to repeat themselves.

Cheers fellas

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Very cool! Still some good folks out there. Can't wait to hear how he makes out.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
: ). Doc got a sheep. I'll leave iit to him to tell the tale

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's great as sheep hunting in the Brooks has taken a turn for the worse.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
: ). Doc got a sheep.

Not a bit surprised. Looking forward to the story.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats to Doc!

I'm all dressed as well,,,,there is a lull in my bargeing here at the Lake,,, I want to go sheep hunting but my wife mentioned that there are only a couple of sheep in Alaska that get my interest up soooo,, why don't I go in the Preserve and kill a nice fat bull caribou. It does make a bit of sense on her part,,I can always sheep hunt later in the season when it's at it's best anyway! Jim

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Can't wait to hear his story. Thanks for the update!

Congrats Doc!!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Snootie
Can't wait to hear his story. Thanks for the update!

Congrats Doc!!

Me too!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Man, I got a story to tell but I want to let this Alaska Ale wear off some, and get in front of my native keyboard. 36" double broomed on the 12th, spotted from the jetboil grits. Other hunter was a bad-azz hiker and hunter, hard every day of 12 and didn't connect:(
2legit2quit was like a guardian angel in a foreign land. Let met explain: on a moments notice, dude picks me up at Alaska Air terminal, drives me to Warbelow's, a small flight service, and when I miss the flight by five minutes, he takes me to the grocery, paid airport parking, and returned me to Warbelows to book out to Ft Yukon on the 7:30 flight. In his truck, he amassed a sheep hunting gear trove just in case my luggage got fouled up (which it didn't). Kept up with him on Iridium, and when I returned to FAI, be picked my stinkin' azz up and drove me to Golden North and waited while I showered ( the beautiful Alaskan lady on the plane next to me says "thank you"), then drove me to Alaska Air AND, WOWOWOW!!!!! Took my sheep meat to process it! Where do they make guys like this? What a prince! Have I mentioned that we've only met on the internet? Thank you 2legit, I'm almost to SEA, and you were the star of this sheep trip. As we say down here, "boy, yo money don spend in Atlanta, jus call Docdb, you got my number!
Don

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will report slim pickings this year sheep wise in the Brooks! Mosquitos were by all accounts, in epic, Biblical, abundance. These mosquitoes, when you breath them it, then cough them back out, they still bite your azz. Holy Crap, what's that I see out of the plane window? Sunset? Haven't seen that for a while, darkness has only come lately from pulling my Integral Designs brim down low!
Don

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

430 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10ring1, 163bc, 34 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,031 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.