Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My old Pudelpointer "Bear" was tough enough. A picture of him after a December horseback hunt for huns on the Saskatchewan prairie at -25�C

[Linked Image]

he'd retrieve beavers almost as heavy as he was
[Linked Image]
And after tearing the infraspinatus muscle right off of his shoulder blade, he went on to hunt the uplands one more year without the use of that muscle.
[Linked Image]
He was a hard worker but gentle with kids, a good ol' dog and I miss him.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I recall your Beaver Retriever pic of a few years ago. I never knew what a PP even was at that time. I am enamored by them now, but I am just starting my journey with my DD pup.

Your dog looks huge. Was he a touch over breed specs? Nice looking dog though. Stout.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
He was on the large end of "normal" - about 75 lbs. The DD has quite a bit of Pudelpointer blood in it, one of the reasons that they are such look alines. Good luck with your pup!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Australian Cattle Dogs like to hunt.
I didn't buy them for that.
I just wanted good companions that travel well.

Whiteish female earned an HRC started title.
The male prefers pheasant hunting.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

New puppy makes 3.
Don't care if she hunts either.
If she wants to and can contribute then fine.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
battue, she looks like a Small Muensterlander or a Drent? They are known for no-quit after the shot.

My Drent seems to have the highest pain threshold I know. Ran over his head with a half ton pickup on a gravel road, and he shrugged it off with a "what did you do that for?" look.

Got torn up by a coon at the farm, and I never realized it until the next day, when the wounds starting oozing.

Retrieving ducks at -6.

Yeah, some are tougher than others...... Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
English Springer.

A hunting Dog only gets a good 10 years perhaps. I want mine to have fun. They don't have to be all that tough to make me happy.

Last edited by battue; 08/05/13.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Q
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Q
Chesapeake
Tougher than the drumstick off a Sandhill Crane

Last edited by QSX15; 06/18/14.

"When a man with a pistol meets a man with a rifle, the man with a pistol is a dead man."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My GWP Thor and I were hunting mearns near Gardner Canyon South of Tucson. We had just rounded a small hill with both dogs trotting along looking for birds when they trotted right into a sounder of 15 javelina. It happened suddenly and there was nothing I could do. One large javelina sided Thor and bit him. He yiked, I fired the shotgun into the air and the javelina ran off. I caught up to him and saw some blood on his upper lip and thought how lucky. We continued to hunt for a couple more hours.

Two days later I noticed quite a bit of swelling. Went to the vet and after some probing he discovered there was an entrance and exit where those large canines of the javelina had connected. Some irrigation to flush out the infection and some antibiotics fixed him up.

[Linked Image]

javelina skull
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Azshooter; 06/19/14.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Any gundog wrth its salt will kill it's self before it quits. It's up to us to be the "voice of reason" and know when our partner has had enough. Here is my 9 yr old 55 lb Golden doing what she loves in some very bad conditions, and "hiding" behind
her days work.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BORN to HUNT
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow that is a pile of ducks! Bet your dog had a serious hunger and slept well that night!

Last edited by Azshooter; 06/19/14.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My old beagle is now 9 1/2. Back in his prime, he ran so hard he wore the fronts off his ears from ripping through cover in pursuit of rabbits.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Beyond the chronic ear problems, he was sewn up twice from damages incurred while running rabbits: once when his rib cage was torn open on a fence, the second when he went into a brush pile and punctured his inner leg with a stick. After the second incident, he wound up running in a field trial the following weekend, with duct tape over his gauze covered stiches and a drain tube hanging out. He also got hung going over old fencing a couple times by his back legs, once with rusted wire stuck in his leg. He just hung there till I found him, rolled the wires over, and off he went to catch up with the pack. I also recall when he ran with a locust thorn driven in the back of his paw up into his leg, doing all he could to stay with the pack.

Earlier this spring, I almost lost him to a liver infection, with the bilirubin in his blood registering over 11x the upper range of acceptable. Luckily I got him to the vet early enough for the medication to kick in and he pulled through. During that time, he moved out of the kennels and back inside, living the good life getting pampered by my girls. Also starting to enjoy female visitors from time to time now that he's retired.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buncha puzzie's.

Tell ya how tuff my dogs are.
The other day left them in the living room with the TV on while I took my weekly shower..
When I came out I realized The View had been on the whole time I was showering.

To make matters worse, it was one of the old shows with Rosi O'Donnell.

They survived but the Vet said it's the worse case of PTSD he's ever seen.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
barnold,,,, that Beagle's my kind of dog.

You're blessed to have him and that pretty little gal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I tend to think your average working dog would put an Olympic athlete to shame for endurance and athleticism and in toughness make a Navy SEAL look like a girly man... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Buncha puzzie's.

Tell ya how tuff my dogs are.
The other day left them in the living room with the TV on while I took my weekly shower..
When I came out I realized The View had been on the whole time I was showering.

To make matters worse, it was one of the old shows with Rosi O'Donnell.

They survived but the Vet said it's the worse case of PTSD he's ever seen.

LMAO that is down right animal cruelty!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
J
J
It seems like you only get one good dog in a life time. I personall think the tuffness of that dog depends on that dogs drive to please you and pure enjoyment to do what he or she lives to do. A bond and loyality go hand in hand. The bad thing is when you loose that dog the sting is as bad as loosing a member of your family. Jmo. I only let my dog watch the history channel!!!

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
My lab is definitely not as tough as she once was...old age is taking it's toll on her joints in the cold. I recall this hunt in ND back in '07 when she was 4 years old on our last day of a 7 day trip. The air temp was in the mid 20's with 25 mph sustained winds. The dog on the right shut down and would not enter the water and my lab on the left had to make every retrieve. Needless to say she did me proud that day. I've been blessed to have her as a part of my life and will miss her dearly when she passes.

[Linked Image]

Over the years she has made some extremely long retrieves that have had me worried, but I've always tried to give her a chance to show her potential. These days any hunts she goes on are easy ones with no blind retrieves. Her hearing is just about gone but she still has the drive...it's just that her body can no longer keep up.

Last edited by UNCCGrad; 07/24/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Nothing is tougher than our dog, Jet. Not only is he fast, hence the name Jet, but just to see his own reflection in the mirror is more than many dogs bigger than him could withstand...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
I prefer to query people here rather than other, more dedicated internet forums. For various reasons.

I am making a blanket type inquiry on general Toughness of dogs. And by toughness, I am meaning things such as pain tolerance, environmental tolerance, or simply the lack of being swayed or affected by being uncomfortable.

I have had just a small handful of hunting dogs. Both were Chesapeake Bay Retrievers. The first was a female, the second was a male. I don't recall much of the female. I was very young and the dog was given away without my consent......life lessons learned there. The male I had as an adult. He had a high pain tolerance. But some seperation anxiety that got in the way of really testing much else.

Though not a hunting dog, my current adult dog is an Australian Cattle Dog. To me, he is the standard to be judged against. His pain tolerance is off the charts. I've seen him continue about his business with flesh hanging. He has broken ice to play Fetch. Will find water to lie down in to cool off in January. Just an all around tough guy.

My current puppy is the opposite. He is a softy. Wasnt expecting it, but he is. He needs to paw and fluff up a perfect nest before he lays down. Every place he lays must be padded. If we are sorting laundary for weekend chores, he is found coiled up, camoflauged in with the Darks....sound asleep. He is shivering immediately after getting in the water. The same water I am standing in up to the Blue Line myself in shorts. I don't find it at all cold.

In my experience, this is the dog. Not much you can train or change about it.

Thoughts or experiences? Of course this is the internet, so I would not expect anything less than...."My dog was breaking 2 inches of ice duck hunting in North Dakota last January...it was -5 degrees that day".

In my opinion a dog's toughness shouldn't be confused with the dog's level of courage. And to me, it sounds like your dog's level of courage when it comes to water may be very low. Meaning it is not shivering due to the temperature, but extremely nervous or scared because it hasn't been introduced to enough water.

You obviously know a thing or two about dogs, I'm just throwing that idea out there.

My lab is very "tough." Meaning, he has fallen out of a pickup truck doing 65mph and was chasing grasshoppers minutes later. Nose bleeding, limping everywhere, huge chunk of road rash, etc. But his tail kept wagging the whole time and he would still jump in and out of the truck.

But that doesn't mean he won't tremble when we are @ 10,000' and lightning strikes nearby. He'll have to be exposed to those things more and more before he grows accustomed to it.

Some dogs are simply born with lots of courage. It matters not whether they have been exposed to things or not. They just go. Slippery floor, pool full of water, a grate on a garage floor, or whatever.

Others need to be exposed to those things before they'll gain any degree of comfort and I expect that is what your dog will require.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by battue
Tough isn't always what a Dog can take. More often it's what a Dog is willing to give.

How about giving 4 solid hours at 11 and 12 years old? How about doing it with kidney function of around 15%? How about getting her last Vet checkup and the Vet says I can't believe this Dog is still here. She is doing great. Then you tell the Vet no she isn't and he does another kidney check and he comes back and says there is nothing left. It's time or it's going to get ugly real quick.

How about Her last Ruffed Grouse being rocked up high and setting its wings for a glide to who knows where? Two other Dogs looked for a bit and came back shortly. She was gone for over a half hour. We both gave up and started calling her in. A little later she shows up with a dead Grouse.

How about in your prime you look like this?

[Linked Image]

And at the end like this, but never quit?

[Linked Image]

Yea she was tough. I'd also venture to say she had more than a little grit.
Somebody said it before me, but it holds true. "Damn fine Dog."

Wrap up this thread, that my friends Says it ALL

BORN to HUNT
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

292 members (22250rem, 240NMC, 160user, 2500HD, 163bc, 12344mag, 30 invisible), 1,920 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,306
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.