24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Going for the Danner east ridge myself when the time comes.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sierra Trading Post has good deals. Also watch ShoeBuy.com for deals. I caught a 30% off for Lowa Tibets.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Scott
Asolo Sasslong's from Sierra Trading Post - $139 with their sale. Normally was $199.

Have you got a link for these? I'd buy 2 pair just to have them. They are discontinued now but are great boots.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by davidlea
Originally Posted by laker
I liked my danner pronghorn boots but by about them middle of their second hunting season they are on their last leg. Trying the Meindl Ultra Light Hunters this year and so far I really like them. We will see if I get more than two seasons out of them.

This is the boot that I've been looking at (not hands on but in the catalogue) Did they run large/wide for stated size? I was a Danner Pronghorn wearer until the quality went south and the price went up.

I wore a 10.5 D in the danners and wear a 9.5 D in the Meindl. The Meindl seems to be alittle wider towards the toe area.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have to agree with Gristle and others on the Asolo Sasslongs. It is a shame they have discontinued their production. Also, Sierra Trading Post is a great place to buy hunting and camping gear. I have a pair of Sasslongs, Kenetrek Mountain Extremes and Irish Setters. The Sasslongs took no time to break in and are one of the most comfortable boot's I've owned. This is my second season with them and they have held up well. Great boots for the price. Maybe they will bring them back and if they do, I will buy a second pair for sure. My Irish Setters are decent boots but showed more wear than expected after their second season. The Kenetreks are excellent boots that I use only for mountain hunting. Just my opinion, they are expensive but well worth the cost if you do any mountain hunting at all.

Last edited by Biggs300; 08/11/14.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Thank you laker.

Golden............
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I HIGHLY recommend staying AWAY from Rocky boots.
I had a pair that were nearly new spilt the sole accross the bottom under the arch. REALLY not good on a backpacking hunt

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by BigNate
I HIGHLY recommend staying AWAY from Rocky boots.
I had a pair that were nearly new spilt the sole accross the bottom under the arch. REALLY not good on a backpacking hunt

+1! They used to be good boots, now they are not just cheap but cheaply made. As stated, you do NOT want a boot to come apart on you in the middle of a hunt and some of these can do it. I really don't know how they stay in business any more

Venor ergo sum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gristle
Asolo Sasslong's from Sierra Trading Post - $139 with their sale. Normally was $199.

Have you got a link for these? I'd buy 2 pair just to have them. They are discontinued now but are great boots.

I just happened to find the sale on the website when I was looking for boots. Didn't realize they were discontinued or I may have bought more than one pair.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Gristle

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/asolo-sasslong-gore-tex-backpacking-boots-waterproof-nubuck-for-men~p~83043/?filterString=mens-hiking-boots~d~360%2Fasolo~b~1120%2F&colorFamily=05

They email you the discount once you sign up. At the top of the page it tells you an additional 30% off. Great boots even at $199.00.

I love Danners and you are correct the China and the USA are not the same!

Good Shooting!
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by U079310
So the old Danner Pronghorns are wearing down and it is time for a replacement. Have checked the Kenetrek's and the Schnee's and they look great. But what about someting in the $250 range. All ideas are welcome !

Rick

I bought a pair of these a couple years ago.

Very nice boots, slightly narrower than Meindl Hikers.

http://www.zamberlanusa.com/catalog/index.php?lang=en&pg=prod&idprod=54&idcat=2

Think I paid around $230 off Amazon.

Last edited by SamOlson; 08/12/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hunting1

They email you the discount once you sign up. At the top of the page it tells you an additional 30% off. Great boots even at $199.00.

Sadly, the Sasslongs are no more. Glad I laid into several pairs while they lasted. Best fit for my narrow foot. Just about everyone else makes boots that are just too damn wide.

Did the same while the Asolo Lhasa was still available, which is similar in fit and construction, but taller and more robust than the Sasslong.

Closest boot to those two that they appear to make now is the Bajura... no idea on availability. Sasslong is still shown on the Asolo site, but STP hasn't had them in a while and they were listed as close outs...

Good luck.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks anyway Scott.

I drove to the Greenville SC Cabelas yesterday and ended up buying a pair of the Meindl Perfekts. Like laker said, they do seem to be a little wider in the toe box but they do fit and feel pretty good.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Huntinut
I bought these a couple years ago and like them much better than the Pronghorns

Cabelas

^^^^^THIS!

1st Bn 5th Marines Wpns Co. 03-07
Semper Fidelis
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tag

The time is drawing nearer for the American People to stand up for what they believe in. To stop having their rights trampled by the a$$holes in Washington D.C.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MattMan
Originally Posted by hunting1

Sadly, the Sasslongs are no more. Glad I laid into several pairs while they lasted. Best fit for my narrow foot. Just about everyone else makes boots that are just too damn wide.

Did the same while the Asolo Lhasa was still available, which is similar in fit and construction, but taller and more robust than the Sasslong.

Closest boot to those two that they appear to make now is the Bajura... no idea on availability. Sasslong is still shown on the Asolo site, but STP hasn't had them in a while and they were listed as close outs...

Good luck.

I was miffed when the Asolo Sassalongs were discontinued. Then the sales gal at STP said "try the Asolo Power Matic 100's". If anything, they are more comfortable than the Sassalongs.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Grunt_0351
Originally Posted by Huntinut
I bought these a couple years ago and like them much better than the Pronghorns

Cabelas

^^^^^THIS!

This too -

I have abused these boots for the past two years. Far and away the best hunting boot I have ever owned.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry
Try Keen Oregon PCT

I will second this recommendation, especially if you like a boot that is a bit wider. I wear mine extensively, been from the NM-Mexico border mountains, thru the Grand Canyon and all over NM and western Wyoming. On my second pair as I just plain wore the first ones out.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
761 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 91 invisible), 3,024 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,706
Posts18,400,100
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.