Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
U
U079310 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
U
So the old Danner Pronghorns are wearing down and it is time for a replacement. Have checked the Kenetrek's and the Schnee's and they look great. But what about someting in the $250 range. All ideas are welcome !

Rick

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
you get what you pay for--no more no less.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Try Keen Oregon PCT

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lowa Camino is my light climbing boot......superb quality made in Italy

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought these a couple years ago and like them much better than the Pronghorns

Cabelas

Last edited by Huntinut; 08/10/14.

Huntinut

"If it's the truth it ain't braggin" Will Rogers
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If they don't fit your feet it doesn't matter what they cost. I have narrow feet and it is real hard to find a company that still makes a boot in BB width. Most are just 'medium' width and they try and sell you a footbed to make up the difference. I', still looking now that Vasque quit making the Sundowner which I have worn for 25 years.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Vasque has a line of backpacking boots that work well for hunting: the two St. Elias GTX boots, the Summit GTX and the Bitterroot GTX. All are available somewhere for a little over $200.

I have a pair of a discontinued line that have served me well for more years than I care to remember, on rocks, in wet and in snow. They are still waterproof and bullet proof. I buy mine at REI because they have knowledgeable sales people who will ensure that you will get a good fit.

Last edited by mudhen; 08/10/14.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by BeanMan
If they don't fit your feet it doesn't matter what they cost. I have narrow feet and it is real hard to find a company that still makes a boot in BB width. Most are just 'medium' width and they try and sell you a footbed to make up the difference. I', still looking now that Vasque quit making the Sundowner which I have worn for 25 years.

I have the same problem (A width) and these are the best I've found. The last is pretty narrow.

http://www.danner.com/product/hike/danner-light-ii-6-brown.html

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've used the Vasques like mudhen suggested with good results. Just got a pair of Lowa Renegades that I might like even better.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I liked my danner pronghorn boots but by about them middle of their second hunting season they are on their last leg. Trying the Meindl Ultra Light Hunters this year and so far I really like them. We will see if I get more than two seasons out of them.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've used a few different including Danners, Whites, but lately I've been using Merrell hikers in hot weather, and the Danner Elk hunters from Cabelas when it gets worse. Later in the year I've been using White Pac Boots or Georgia insulated loggers depending on where I'm at.

Like BeanMan said though, how they fit is most important. I probably won't buy another pair of the Whites because they hurt my feet to walk a long way in them. Nice in a stand though. The Georgia boots keep out more water than the Danners even when the Danners were new. They fit well but are a disappointment for dry feet.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I just got a pair of these and so far I like them a lot. Very comfortable and lightweight. Haven't worn them in the mountains yet, but will in a couple of weeks.

http://www.basspro.com/Irish-Setter...ng-Boots-for-Men/product/13062610310931/

Last edited by txhunter58; 08/11/14.

Venor ergo sum
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Irish Setter Elk Hunters are a good boot for the money. I've had a few pair. Gonna splurge on Kenetreks next time though. mtmuley

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Asolo Sasslong's from Sierra Trading Post - $139 with their sale. Normally was $199.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Scott
Asolo Sasslong's from Sierra Trading Post - $139 with their sale. Normally was $199.

+1 to Sierra Trading Post and Asolo! Great boots and price.

Good Shooting!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by laker
I liked my danner pronghorn boots but by about them middle of their second hunting season they are on their last leg. Trying the Meindl Ultra Light Hunters this year and so far I really like them. We will see if I get more than two seasons out of them.

This is the boot that I've been looking at (not hands on but in the catalogue) Did they run large/wide for stated size? I was a Danner Pronghorn wearer until the quality went south and the price went up.

Golden............
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have 6 pair of Danners for various hunting applications. The Danners made in the US are far superior to those made in China. The Pronghorns I believe are mostly made in China and are not as waterproof as Danners made here. 4 of the 6 are US made especially for rugged hunting conditions. The 2 Chinese made I use for Turkey hunting so they don't get the hard abuse the others do.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just recently bought a pair of these for an upcoming elk hunt:

Danner East Ridge

A little heavier than the pronghorns, but seem very well put together. Hoping the soles stand up much better to AZ's rocks than other boots I've had.

Can't say too much else about them yet, as I've only just started to break them in. But they look promising at this point.

Ordered 1/2 size above normal. Very comfortable so far, and will have room in them for a nice pair of wool socks and liners.

Had a pair of the Meindl Perfect 10's. Never again. Very stiff boot, squeak like crazy, and wore the soles out on them in two seasons, opening up in the toe area of the sole. They just can't handle climbing in the rocks. Was glad when it came time to trash those boots.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mtmuley
Irish Setter Elk Hunters are a good boot for the money. I've had a few pair. Gonna splurge on Kenetreks next time though. mtmuley

Great boots....I have two pair

1 pair is worn out and the other pair is just now broke in at 2 years

Problem is they are heavy. .......just shy of 6 lbs a pair

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i have bought about every name brand boot i could find in the last 15 years besides having custom boots built by different places,,

hands down the best boot i have found , and i have 4 pairs of them, are the cabelas meindel perfekt hunters, 400gr insulation and goretex,,, easy break in, great support, 100 lbs in the backpack or riding my mule,
will be buying another pair this season, couple pairs have hundreds of chukar hunting miles on them, bare soles, lether pretty ruff, cant bear to throw them away, always need a knock around get muddy fishin boot in the spring,,,

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (338reddog, 444Matt, 257robertsimp, 450yukon, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 18 invisible), 1,674 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,185
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.