Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
cnaggs Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Looking at doing my first backpack elk hunt next fall. Looking for advice on good reasonable equipment, most likely will be checking the forums this winter for good used equipment. I like the looks of tipi style tents but am curious as to what everyone one here likes. So any Info on tents, packs, and sleeping bags/ pads. Pros and cons of floor vs floor less tents. This will most likely be a sept archery hunt and maybe oct rifle hunts. Thanks chad

GB1

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
chad:

I'll start with what I think is the most important piece of advice. DON'T TRY TO LEARN TO BACKPACK ON A WESTERN WILDERNESS HUNT. That's a recipe for disaster. Learn to backpack at home before you consider a western wilderness backpack hunt.

Man you have opened a can of worms. You will likely get as many answers as there are members who frequent this forum. The options and available selections are unlimited and there is little consensus as to what's best. Everyone has there way of doing it and we each think that's the best way. It's certainly the best for us. That does not necessarily mean that it's best for someone else.

To answer your question regarding teepee style tents, I will just say that I'm not a proponent of single-wall tents because they are prone to condensation inside. I'm a proponent of double-wall tents. I use dome style tents, however, if I were to use a teepee style tent it would be a Go Lite Shangri La-3 or Shangri La-5 with a nest, which makes them double-wall tents.

I also think that if you want to go backpacking, you ought to use gear designed by backpackers, for backpacking. Not gear designed by hunters.

Here's my list.

HUNTING GEAR LIST - Wear the following
___ 1 pair Long Johns (top & bottom, polypropylene)
___ 1 pair Socks (thick insulated wool/synthetic, no cotton)
___ 1 pair Trousers (wool/synthetic)
___ 1 pair Leather Hiking Boots (good ankle support, lug soles)
___ 1 each Shirt (wool/synthetic, long sleeves, pockets, orange)
___ 1 Pair Gaiters
___ 1 Each Hat, ball cap (orange)
___ 1 Pair Sun Glasses
___ 1 Pair Gloves (lightweight synthetic)
___ 1 Each Binoculars
___ 1 Each Rifle with Scope
___ 10 Each Ammo

Carry the following IN YOUR DAYPACK
___ 1 Each GPS
___ 1 Each Topography Map (USGS)
___ 1 Each Tarp
___ 1/3 Each Foam Pad
___ 1 Each Hat, knitted (orange)
___ 1 Pair Mittens (ski gloves)
___ 1 Each Fleece Jacket or Wool Sweater (orange)
___ 1 Each Parka (Gortex/nylon with hood)
___ 1 Each Vest, polyester fleece
___ 2 Each Canteen, 1 quart (full of water)
___ 1 Pair Socks, thick insulating wool (no cotton)
___ 10 Each Extra Ammo
___ 1 Each First Aid Kit (see list)
___ 1 Each Ditty Kit (see list)
___ 1 Each Field Dressing Kit (see list)
___ 1 Days Snacks

DITTY KIT
___ 1 Each Bandana
___ 3 Packs Toilet Paper
___ 1 Each Compass
___ 1 Each Swiss Army Knife
___ 1 Each Butane Lighter
___ 50 Each Matches, waterproof
___ 4 Each Fire Starter(s)
___ 1 Each Flashlight or Headlamp, lightweight
___ 1 Set Batteries for flashlight, new

FIRST AID KIT
___ 12 Pills Aspirin Tablets
___ 12 Pills Antacid Tablets (Rolaids)
___ 4 Pads Moleskin
___ 6 Each Bandaids
___ 3 Each 2"x 3" Adhesive Bandages
___ 1 Each Ace Bandage
___ 1 Each Battle Dressing or Kotex pad
___ 1 Tube Chap Stick
___ 1 Botl Sun Block

FIELD DRESSING KIT
___ 1 Each Hunting Knife
___ 1 Each Havalon folding scalpel w/stainless steel surgical blades
___ 1 Each Bone Saw (Gerber Gator Saw or similar)
___ 4 Each Large Game Bags
___ 2 Each Small Game Bags
___ 2 Each Rope, 15� x 3/16� woven nylon
___ 1 Each License/Tag
___ 1 Each Chord, 12�x 1/8� woven nylon (to attach tag)
___ 1 Each Leaf & Garden Bag

OPTIONAL
___ 1 Each Camera & film (optional)
___ 1 Each Lazer Rangefinder (optional)

CAMPING GEAR (personal) You will need at least the following items if you are backpacking or horse-packing
___ 1 Each Backpack, internal frame
___ 1 Each Sleeping Bag
___ 1 Each Ground Pad, self-inflating or air mattress
___ 3 Pair Socks, thick insulating wool (no cotton)
___ 5 Days Food

HYGIENE AND DINNER KIT (each person)
___ 1 Each Shallow bowl or deep dish
___ 1 Set Fork & Spoon
___ 1 Each Cup, large
___ 1 Tube Biodegradable Soap
___ 1 Set Tooth Brush

PERSONAL GEAR
Backpack - Osprey "Aether" 85 or Kelty "Coyote" 80
Sleeping Bag (warm weather) - Western Mountaineering "Alpinlite" 20�
Sleeping Bag (cold weather) - Western Mountaineering "Antelope" 5�
Sleeping Pad - Therm-A-Rest "NeoAir" or Big Agnes Insulated Air Core (large, rectangular)
Foam Pad - Therm-A-Rest "RidgeRest" or brand "X" closed cell foam
Boots - Kennetreck "Hardscrabble" or Asolo "Sasslong"
Cup - GSI Outdoors "Glacier" or Olicamp "Space Saver" (1 liter Nalgene bottle fits inside)
Canteen - Nalgene, 1 liter (need 2)
Pocket Knife - Victorinox "Tinker" or "Climber" (Swiss Army knife)
Rifle - T/C Icon Weathershield (most good bolt-action rifles will work)
Caliber - 30-06 (anything from .270 to .338mag will work)
Ammo - 180 grain Nosler Partitions (minimum 150 grain controlled expansion for elk)
Scope - Leupold 4.5x14x40 or 3.5x10x40 (set at 10 power most of the time)
Binoculars - Leupold 10x42 (or Vortex 15x56 for spot & stalk)
Rangefinder - Leupold 1,000 yards
Skinning Knife - Havalon folding scalpel w/stainless steel surgical blades
Bone Saw - (Gerber Gator Saw)

GROUP GEAR
Tent (cold weather) - Mountain Hardware "EV-2" (2 man, 4 season, 5#)
Tent (warm weather) - REI Quarter Dome T-2 (4#) or MSR Carbon Reflex-2 (3#)
Stove (warm weather) - MSR "Pocket Rocket"
Stove (cold weather) - MSR "Whisperlite International" (learn how to operate it)
Fuel Bottle - MSR 20 ounce (need 2 or 3)
Cook Pots - Open Country "Backpacker II" 2 person cook set, aluminum (discard plates & 1 cup)
Water Filter - Katadyn "Hiker Pro"

KC

Last edited by KC; 08/13/14.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While I don't have decades of experience I have been on a few trips and just a few years ago, was in your shoes.

I'll echo what KC says above. Try out your gear before you go on the "big trip". Find what works for you. Some on here will tell you your gear is crap while others will say you've got the best. Everyone thinks what works for them is "the best". There is a lot of gear available that is very well made and works great yet falls short of the most expensive you can buy...which is how some people equate quality. That said, in a lot of instances you do indeed get what you paid for. Ebay is a great source for biding your time and finding what you want and saving some dollars.

If you'll do a search of this forum, you'll find more info than you can sift through between now and your hunt next year! A lot of good info on here.

As far as the GoLite ShangriLa 3 and 5 tipis, I have both and love them. However, they are a single wall unless you also use the nest. In cold weather, they will form condensation. I don't use the nest on western hunts.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by snubbie

As far as the GoLite ShangriLa 3 and 5 tipis, I have both and love them. However, they are a single wall unless you also use the nest. In cold weather, they will form condensation. I don't use the nest on western hunts.

snubbie is right. I have edited my post to include the nest.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
IMO, the biggest advantage of a single-walled floorless tent is the reduced weight, which you negate by carrying a "nest" so I've never used one with my SL or Mega-mid before that. If you pitch it with the sidewalls up off the ground for ventilation, condensation is minimized and not normally a problem. The other advantages of floorless (besides being able to use a wood stove if you want) are that you can roll over and whiz out the side of the tent in the middle of the night, wear your muddy boots inside, and knock over your cookstove without it being a big deal.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
IMO, the biggest advantage of a single-walled floorless tent is the reduced weight, which you negate by carrying a "nest" so I've never used one with my SL or Mega-mid before that. If you pitch it with the sidewalls up off the ground for ventilation, condensation is minimized and not normally a problem. The other advantages of floorless (besides being able to use a wood stove if you want) are that you can roll over and whiz out the side of the tent in the middle of the night, wear your muddy boots inside, and knock over your cookstove without it being a big deal.

All true and all pluses for the floorless tipi. Gotta try that whizzing out the side. I fear I may not have enough, uhh, "reach" to get needed clearance though! ( Could use hunting partner's nalgene in an emergency) laugh

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
See, that's another good thing about floorless, there's really nothing to clear on the side if the walls are pitched high so a few stray drops won't hurt anything.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Big question: Are you new to elk hunting or just to backpack hunting? If you haven't shot an elk before, you likely have a lot more to learn than just what backpacking gear you need.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Where are you planning to hunt? That can change the picture a lot ... temperature, rain, etc.

Lot of places have local variability as well. For instance, one year mid October elk hunting was orchestrated by a friend's dad. He and a buddy both brought big motor homes. We camped at 4000 feet which turned out to be snow level, sometimes it dumped rain, sometimes it dumped snow. The next year, I did the same hunt solo. I camped at 6000 feet, in a tee shirt, in the sun, with grasshoppers bouncing off my boots. You just can't know 'til you're there and in it.

You also haven't mentioned if you're doing this alone or with a group. Alone, you have to be even more conservative. In fact, I generally don't "backpack hunt" alone for elk. I might pack enough to spike camp for a night but base camp is the road. There's a limited distance I can lug 5 loads of elk meat in a day. No point in hunting farther from the road than that. That's close enough I can more easily hike in each day than backpack in ... I can make a way more comfortable car camp, too. With a few friends, the picture changes.

I think it is important to be fairly versed in the use of your gear in the field, in the weather conditions you'll encounter, before adding hunting to the mix. It is also important to be fairly versed in elk hunting before adding backpacking to the mix.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
C
cnaggs Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Yes I have one 5x6 bull and had to pack it all out. Looks like our trip is gonna take place in colorado but that may change. It will be a mid sept archery hunt. Looking at having a base camp at the truck and once we find where the elk are a couple night stay in the backcountry.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I recommend One of EdT's backcountry skills camps. Will teach you everything you need to know.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
+1. Fine idea!

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
KC, I like the idea of Rolaids (though I bring Tums). I remember going on a long backpacking trip 14 years ago in Colorado, and (possibly because I took some Excedrin) I developed the worst sort of heartburn. And there was nothing I could do about it. Sucked. Live and learn.

C
cnaggs Offline OP
OP Offline
C
What degree sleeping back would every recommend? It will be a mid sept archery hunt and I know to plan for every condition but should I get a 0* bag or is a 15-20* good? Thanks

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've hunted the high stuff on Labor Day in shorts and in 4" of snow. Generally a 15-20 bag is overkill but there's that odd chance. The weather's changing fast that time of year. Late in the month you can have cold snaps that will get right down there while mid-Oct can be 80F. If you get cold easily, go with a heavier bag. If you don't feel the cold, go with a lighter one but be prepared to sleep in your long johns.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd go with the 15� bag. It should be plenty for that time of year and you'll have other clothing along to go a bit colder if you need to. Greater odds of being too much bag than too little IME at that time of year.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I hunt mid-September every year at around 10K feet in CO and I've always been happy with a 15 degree bag. Get a good pad, that's just as important. Thermarest Neoair is light and warm; I also take a lightweight closed-cell foam pad in 3/4 length like an Evazote or ridge rest. They're good for dragging out by the campfire or just lounging at lunch. And as a back-up if your inflatable fails.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I will leave most of the advice to these guys as it looks to be excellent advice and I have no experience in that area of the country. The only thing I would add is a way to process some wood. I'm not talking a full size forest ax but maybe a hatchet or big heavy knife. If you happen to get wet you need a way to get dry and warm and a way to dry your cloths. I perfure a large knife cause they are lighter. I always have 3 ways to start a fire now and a tool to the get more firewood. I took a swim in january 3 years ago and if I hadn't have had a way to get warm I would have been in trouble. A swiss army knife or mulitool is a must also. My preference is a swiss army knife. My big knife is a Becker BK4, but there are many other great knives out there or hatchets if that's your preference. Practice with your gear close to home and you will figure out real quick what you like and what you dislike.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole
I hunt mid-September every year at around 10K feet in CO and I've always been happy with a 15 degree bag. Get a good pad, that's just as important. Thermarest Neoair is light and warm; I also take a lightweight closed-cell foam pad in 3/4 length like an Evazote or ridge rest. They're good for dragging out by the campfire or just lounging at lunch. And as a back-up if your inflatable fails.
Put the foam pad under the air mattress. While there might not be any sharp objects to puncture it, rocks & sticks can put pressure on seams and weaken them. The pad will help it last longer.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, if that's directed to me, I don't lug two pads up the mountain and sleep on only one. Didn't feel the need to point out that little tidbit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (01Foreman400, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 74 invisible), 2,997 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,259
Posts18,467,093
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.