If it's marketed right, you'll buy it
But...If it's real, you'll feel it
Kid Rock
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Redding's auction was the best kept "secret" in south central PA/central Maryland. smile

Been to that auction a few times and always came away with a treasure or two. Bargains to be had for sure, but it is an auction and often stuff fetches more than it should. "Auction fever" reigns. You never know what to expect in terms of bidders- yokels who don't recognize a rarity (or think a mundane piece is a rarity and bid accordingly), slickers who run the bidding up senselessly, dealers looking to build their inventory, etc. In short, usually a typical auction crowd. Auctioneers are knowledgeable and efficient- they rarely misrepresent pieces and move the auction at a brisk pace. Staff is friendly and efficient also.

It pays to watch their website as once or twice a year they auction off surprisingly high quality "theme" collections such as Winchester, Colt, etc. Those auctions are not for the feint of heart.

I go, await whichever items interest me, and win or lose spend the rest of the day delving back into the Civil War (it is Gettysburg, you know).

I might go to this one, as I recently discovered a personal family tie to the battle and could kill two birds with one stone. It seems my grandmother's uncle was killed there and his name is engraved on the Pennsylvania Memorial along with a couple thousand other PA boys who died there. Buried in the National Cemetery there, too. (When my Mom told me this a couple weeks ago I asked why she waited 60 years to tell me. "I didn't think you'd be interested." Argh!!!!)

Last edited by gnoahhh; 08/12/14.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ALWAYS WONDERED WHEN THOSE CUSTOM ENGRAVED SAVAGES WOULD APPEAR!

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 1899sav
ALWAYS WONDERED WHEN THOSE CUSTOM ENGRAVED SAVAGES WOULD APPEAR!

So what's the story with them? They look nicely done, but look way to expensive for my wallet.
I probably won't be going to this auction, but have been to many there over the years as its only a half hour drive from my house.

If it looks good, you'll see it
If it sounds good, you'll hear it
Kid Rock
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They lost me at blued levers! Also the 2-35 has the front rocky mountain sight in backwards.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone gonna fess up to reworking those engraved rifles?

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure that i would say that Reddings was a best kept secret as I have been watching their auctions for years and know many savage collectors that do as well... though I have bought several guns from them so I suppose the prices must not always get crazy. They do have some good stuff every year.

Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Redding's auction was the best kept "secret" in south central PA/central Maryland. smile

Been to that auction a few times and always came away with a treasure or two. Bargains to be had for sure, but it is an auction and often stuff fetches more than it should. "Auction fever" reigns. You never know what to expect in terms of bidders- yokels who don't recognize a rarity (or think a mundane piece is a rarity and bid accordingly), slickers who run the bidding up senselessly, dealers looking to build their inventory, etc. In short, usually a typical auction crowd. Auctioneers are knowledgeable and efficient- they rarely misrepresent pieces and move the auction at a brisk pace. Staff is friendly and efficient also.

It pays to watch their website as once or twice a year they auction off surprisingly high quality "theme" collections such as Winchester, Colt, etc. Those auctions are not for the feint of heart.

I go, await whichever items interest me, and win or lose spend the rest of the day delving back into the Civil War (it is Gettysburg, you know).

I might go to this one, as I recently discovered a personal family tie to the battle and could kill two birds with one stone. It seems my grandmother's uncle was killed there and his name is engraved on the Pennsylvania Memorial along with a couple thousand other PA boys who died there. Buried in the National Cemetery there, too. (When my Mom told me this a couple weeks ago I asked why she waited 60 years to tell me. "I didn't think you'd be interested." Argh!!!!)

Andrew
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, I know Drew. I guess my point was a lot of guys know about them and monitor them but one never sees them referred to on the forums (at least I never do). Kind of like FDR's paralyzed legs- everyone knew about them but nobody talked about it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Yeah, I know Drew. I guess my point was a lot of guys know about them and monitor them but one never sees them referred to on the forums (at least I never do). Kind of like FDR's paralyzed legs- everyone knew about them but nobody talked about it.

There is quite a few auction houses in this area that runs guns quite regularly. One is Wherley's in Glen Rock. Auction zip id # is 1922. Another is Horst in Ephrata, their auctionzip id # is 1356.
Wherleys has online bidding available, but I don't think Horst does.
Out of them all Reddings has the rarer stuff usually. But I enjoy going to any of them. And have made some good buys at all of them. Good example I went to an auction at Wherley's about 2 years ago and bought a winchester 52. It was one of the target models, not the fancy sported one. Anyway I gave $400 for it. Called a guy I knew that was looking for one, had him meet me 2 exits away on the way home. He gave me $900 for it and was glad to get it for that. a I owned that gun a total of about 45 minutes. I bought it strictly with intentions of selling it to him as I didn't want it. With what I made on it , it pretty well covered what I spent on the couple I did buy to keep. Good deals can be had, and other guns bring more than they are worth and you scratch your head and say to yourself " what the hell are they thinking". Such is the auction world

Last edited by Bearschlayerx2; 08/18/14.

If it looks good, you'll see it
If it sounds good, you'll hear it
Kid Rock
IC B3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (222Sako, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,455
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.