Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A-max bullets are target bullets and are not designed for hunting. They are suppose to be accurate for that reason. They will work on deer, but most bullets work on deer.

After investing the time and money in an elk hunt, I would never use a target bullet and hope for the best. Elk deserve quality bullets that leave little to chance. Personally, I would never even consider anything under 140 grains in a 7 mag and it is always going to be a premium bullet for me. Accubonds, Partitions, Barnes, North Forks, Interbonds all come to mind. They can keep the Bergers and A-maxes.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
GB1

A
AlC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
A fair number of you came down pretty hard on "just the idea" of hunting elk with A-Max bullets. Don't worry, my skin is tough and it doesn't bother me. Your scorn at "just the idea" of doing this firmly confirmed my suspicions that this wasn't a good thing to do. Honest opinions are the only ones I wanted and the only ones that are important. THANKS fellas. The A-Maxs are on he shelf and the 160 ABs are loaded and ready for range work. Am trying a few 160 PTs just for kicks as well. Appreciate the input.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
a wise choice, IMHO.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Without a doubt. The 160 AB and PT are great bullets.

Semper Fi
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
A 162 into the ribs, from any distance, and you have a dead elk. That is the one great reason to use them. They'd be great for neck shots too. If you can pick your shot, there is no downside. If you are more or less confined to the shots presented, then things could get iffy. The thing that would prevent the iffy would be to shoot them at slow speed, so they act more like a tough bullet at high speed. When it comes down to it, I'd rather have a soft bullet that doesn't exit than a hard bullet that pencils through. The ideal for most, and certainly for the vast majority posting here on the campfire, is somewhere in the middle of that spectrum.

Guys still kill elk every year with soft, non-jacketed bullets, so a tough bullet is not needed.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have taken one bull with a 162 A-max.
Previously my son killed a cow with the same bullet fired from a 7 STW at 3250 fps. His shot was behind the shoulder broadside at about 500 yrds. The exact range escapes me. The cow folded at the shot and rolled down the hill. Bullet performance was pretty explosive and I could not find a mark on the opposite interior surface of the rib cage.
The bull I killed was with the same rifle and load. Range was about 175 yards, the bullet entered low in the chest, just infront of the shoulder bone. It angled through the chest and stopped just short of the opposite shoulder bone. Recovered weight was 31 grains. Lungs were jello, and the bull made about four jumps in place and then fell and expired.
Given the speeds I was launching them, and my preference for more penetration, I have moved on to other bullet choices.

"If it wasn't for the pu**y and the prestige.....nobody would want to be a gunsmith."
MColeman
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Can't deny the superior slippery B/C of a 162 but I'm liking what JBM tells me with '22 pushing a 120 TTSX @ 3500 outta the 7RM. Zippity-doo-dah....

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
If you can pick your shot,...

Should we be so lucky.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WillFish

Should we be so lucky.

Yup. It doesn�t always work that way.

When I lived in Minnesota I went through two winters with standard tires on my car � no money for snow tires and no place to store the regular tires. Drove to Iowa through several bad blizzards, and always made it to my destination safely. Even in MN, although the snowfall was unusually heavy one of those years, the standard tires got me where I was going. There were some really tough drives, though. At the time I considered myself lucky and decades later still believe that. These days I run a 4x4 with aggressive tread when the snow is on the road. Much better.

When elk hunting we don�t always get to pick our shot opportunities. We may be able to wait and get the perfect broadside of our dreams or we may end up with tag soup instead. While I am OK with waiting and passing on bad angles and ranges beyond my comfort zone, I�m not willing to compromise on bullet selection. Bullets that may pencil through at low impact velocities are of no more interest than bullets that may blow up at high impact velocities. Give me a bullet in the middle, something that provides reliable but controlled and limited expansion with good weight retention across as wide a velocity spectrum as possible. In my limited experience (30+ years hunting elk) such bullets may or may not produce two holes but they do penetrate deeply and put animals on the ground with authority.

What concerns me is not what a bullet will do on a well-placed broadside � almost any bullet will work in that situation. I�ve often felt a 40g V-MAX from my .22-250 would reliably put elk in the freezer with such a shot. My concern is what happens when things go south � the animal moves and placement suffers or a wounded or possibly wounded animal is heading away and your only options are a bad raking angle or THS. The last thing I want in the chamber on such occasions is a bullet that can�t reach the vitals. We�ve had very good results with high DRT percentages using Barnes TTSX and MRX bullets. So far we have always had two holes, even on front-to-back shots on mulies. North Fork bullets don�t always provide two holes but animals have dropped straight down often as not (or more) and none have run or made it more than a few steps. I�ve driven a 7mm 140g North Fork from ham to sternum on a mulie that turned and stepped forward as the trigger broke. That buck dropped straight down instantly. The old style Speer Grand Slams were my choice for 20+ years. Two holes were the norm and while game didn�t always drop straight down, a high percentage did and none went far. I didn�t recover a Grand Slam until the last year I used them and that one destroyed both shoulder joints of a 5x5 bull before coming to rest under the off-side hide. The only reasons I don�t still use those bullets are A) Speer changed the manufacturing process, B) the BC was relatively low, and C) accuracy was acceptable but not as good as with other options. These days I use mostly Barnes TTSX (and some remaining MRX I have loaded), North Fork SS, Nosler AccuBond, and Swift Scirocco II.

This year I will be using a Ruger American .30-06 Dad gave me before he passed and I haven�t had time to work up loads for it. That rifle seems to like white box Winchester 180g Power Points, though, so that will probably be what I use for elk. I�m not at all worried they may splash on impact or fail to penetrate afterwards because the bullet design is well suited to the velocity and application. A thin-skinned A-MAX might work but after seeing how a 168g blew up on my son-in-law�s antelope, no thanks.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 08/21/14. Reason: animal to animals

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by WillFish

Should we be so lucky.

Yup. It doesn�t always work that way.

When I lived in Minnesota I went through two winters with standard tires on my car � no money for snow tires and no place to store the regular tires. Drove to Iowa through several bad blizzards, and always made it to my destination safely. Even in MN, although the snowfall was unusually heavy one of those years, the standard tires got me where I was going. There were some really tough drives, though. At the time I considered myself lucky and decades later still believe that. These days I run a 4x4 with aggressive tread when the snow is on the road. Much better.

When elk hunting we don�t always get to pick our shot opportunities. We may be able to wait and get the perfect broadside of our dreams or we may end up with tag soup instead. While I am OK with waiting and passing on bad angles and ranges beyond my comfort zone, I�m not willing to compromise on bullet selection. Bullets that may pencil through at low impact velocities are of no more interest than bullets that may blow up at high impact velocities. Give me a bullet in the middle, something that provides reliable but controlled and limited expansion with good weight retention across as wide a velocity spectrum as possible. In my limited experience (30+ years hunting elk) such bullets may or may not produce two holes but they do penetrate deeply and put animals on the ground with authority.

What concerns me is not what a bullet will do on a well-placed broadside � almost any bullet will work in that situation. I�ve often felt a 40g V-MAX from my .22-250 would reliably put elk in the freezer with such a shot. My concern is what happens when things go south � the animal moves and placement suffers or a wounded or possibly wounded animal is heading away and your only options are a bad raking angle or THS. The last thing I want in the chamber on such occasions is a bullet that can�t reach the vitals. We�ve had very good results with high DRT percentages using Barnes TTSX and MRX bullets. So far we have always had two holes, even on front-to-back shots on mulies. North Fork bullets don�t always provide two holes but animals have dropped straight down often as not (or more) and none have run or made it more than a few steps. I�ve driven a 7mm 140g North Fork from ham to sternum on a mulie that turned and stepped forward as the trigger broke. That buck dropped straight down instantly. The old style Speer Grand Slams were my choice for 20+ years. Two holes were the norm and while game didn�t always drop straight down, a high percentage did and none went far. I didn�t recover a Grand Slam until the last year I used them and that one destroyed both shoulder joints of a 5x5 bull before coming to rest under the off-side hide. The only reasons I don�t still use those bullets are A) Speer changed the manufacturing process, B) the BC was relatively low, and C) accuracy was acceptable but not as good as with other options. These days I use mostly Barnes TTSX (and some remaining MRX I have loaded), North Fork SS, Nosler AccuBond, and Swift Scirocco II.

This year I will be using a Ruger American .30-06 Dad gave me before he passed and I haven�t had time to work up loads for it. That rifle seems to like white box Winchester 180g Power Points, though, so that will probably be what I use for elk. I�m not at all worried they may splash on impact or fail to penetrate afterwards because the bullet design is well suited to the velocity and application. A thin-skinned A-MAX might work but after seeing how a 168g blew up on my son-in-law�s antelope, no thanks.

Well-said.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 55 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,222
Posts18,466,504
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.