Print Thread
Hop To
P
pdcrig Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
So, I painted a Glock frame in FDE and it looks really well done. It was fully disassembled and masked off so that only the outside surface received any paint. I'm trying to sell the pistol (a 20C) locally but no one wants it due to it being painted. They're worried that it will come off easily and look bad. That's the problem, it doesn't come off easily.
How can I safely remove the paint without damaging the plastic frame? Thinner seems too caustic. Sand blasting is too abrasive. Would a heat gun at the right distance let me peal it off? It's Rust-Oleum enamel. I simply want the frame to look factory again.
Any advice would be appreciated���unless it�s stupid. Just kidding.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hey, I might be interested. Can you you send me a pic? I couldn't care less what they look like as I'm looking for a pig/truck gun.
I'll be home in a week , live in gainesville.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is a Glock acetone proof? If so, that should work. I would send an e-mail to Glock and ask.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
How about a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and some Hoppes #9? If that doesn't work, at least it, and you will smell like Hoppes #9. Chicks dig that smell!!!

-John

P
pdcrig Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks guys. It looks great but I feel like a dope. I figured I was going to keep it forever but I'm getting out of the 10mm for now. Just got too many calibers running around right now.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The problem you are going to have is in the lines and texturing, where the paint gets down in there and will be very hard to get out

I would holler at rgrx and see if he wants it wink

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another thing to try is gun scrubber. I believe it is polymer safe and may remove the paint (use a stiff brush on the checkering).

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You might be able to get it off by soda blasting.

Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.

I think I've forgotten this before.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm thinkin' I might know someone who might be interested in it....

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Permatex brand makes a hand cleaner specifically for removing paint off hands etc. Most places that sell automotive paint have it. I used it once to clean the dashboard and vinyl interior of a van that was mistakenly over sprayed with dupont white. It worked great and the pumice in it didn't scratch anything either. It earned me a lot of praise from the painter and shop owner. I later backed it in to a car that one of the body shop guys parked directly behind me. Lmao. It wasn't funny then.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sell it painted. Removing the paint will never leave it "factory new" Knock 10% off the sales price and it will move.

NRA Life Member
P
pdcrig Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by TheWarrior
Permatex brand makes a hand cleaner specifically for removing paint off hands etc. Most places that sell automotive paint have it. I used it once to clean the dashboard and vinyl interior of a van that was mistakenly over sprayed with dupont white. It worked great and the pumice in it didn't scratch anything either. It earned me a lot of praise from the painter and shop owner. I later backed it in to a car that one of the body shop guys parked directly behind me. Lmao. It wasn't funny then.

Are you talking about their Fast Orange hand cleaner? If so, I've got that at home. I might try that.
On another note, I'm trying to find a local blasting co that works with soda and walnut blasting media. No luck so far.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you have a compressor you can build your own:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI_Bnl6l-OY
I'd probably sell it painted for a little less myself but this might do it if you must....

Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.

I think I've forgotten this before.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Forget all those whiners...

I'd not worry about it and sell it on GB or here...

Someone wants it at your price, especially with the Ferguson news. I'll bet the gun stores in Ferguson are just about tapped out as we speak. Last week's Civil unrest just raised the prices on Glocks by 50%.

There is another shortage situation coming pronto on the heels of all this crap.

We might even experience an AMMO shortage...oh wait...!

Actually I'd consider hanging on to it.

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Are you talking about their Fast Orange hand cleaner? If so, I've got that at home. I might try that.
On another note, I'm trying to find a local blasting co that works with soda and walnut blasting media. No luck so far.
[/quote]
Its a hand cleaner but not the fast orange. Its made for paint removal.

From the Manufac:
"Permatex� Painter�s Clean� Hand Cleaner A safer alternative to harsh, drying and potentially toxic solvents and thinners. Fortified with four premium skin conditioners, this freshly scented, fine pumice formula quickly removes the toughest soils. Readily biodegradable*, nontoxic and nonflammable, Painter�s Clean� Hand Cleaner has the muscle to clean where most hand cleaners fall short. * Readily Biodegradable according to OECD Method 301E Suggested Applications: Stains, varnish, lacquer, urethane adhesives and paints, resins, clear coats, body fillers, primers, oil-based paints, silicones, printer�s ink, oil, and grime Overview Automotive Part Number: 65116 15 fl. oz. Brush-Up� bottle 6 View 65217 60 fl. oz. w/pump 4 View 65108 7.5 fl. oz. squeeze bottle"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
713 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 89 invisible), 2,705 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,696
Posts18,399,917
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.