Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
okhill Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
What would you think would be a good general size sheet metal wood stove for a 15x10 canvas tent?

Sucess only comes before work in the dictionary.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a pair of 12X14 tents. I have a large cylinder stove from Davis tent and a 5 dog I bought from Scott F.
Both work great. Smaller would work, but I like comfort.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
12x12x24....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You can also choose the brand of stove you want and give them your tent size. They'll know which size will work.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by huntsman22
12x12x24....

+1
But you are still going to want a good bag to sleep in because that stove wont burn all night. Unless you have a couple older guys in camp that get up to piss every few hours that can feed the fire. Then you are set for a good nights sleep

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I AM the older guy.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
5 foot side walls are a must for me. A sod flap too.
My tent is 14X 17. Zippers on each end.
My stove is 14 X 14 X 24.
I think it's made by Cozy-Camp
Works great.

Last edited by Hammerdown; 08/13/14.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Just about any size is going to do the job, but the smaller, the less burn time. A good bed of ashes in it will increase burn time if you bank it down before turning out the lights.

I have a little Simms fold up about 10"x 10",x 20" and it heats a 12 x 15tent. It will run you out running full blast.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What Huntsman said. Good to well below zero outside.

1Minute
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by laker
12x12x24....

+1
But you are still going to want a good bag to sleep in because that stove wont burn all night. Unless you have a couple older guys in camp that get up to piss every few hours that can feed the fire. Then you are set for a good nights sleep

bring the old man.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
It will take a pretty damn big stove to burn all night with western softwoods.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I take a sleeping bag to elk camp. Once in the bag, I couldn't care less what my stove might be doing.

1Minute
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by BWalker

I have heated with pine and aspen(that is all we got)with fairly small stoves. Amazing once a bed of coals is built up and you can bank the wood down and shut the stove down how long it will burn, Early morning the flame might not be there, but it is still putting out heat from the coals and metal box. Of course the stove needs to be pretty tight.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by 1minute
I take a sleeping bag to elk camp. Once in the bag, I couldn't care less what my stove might be doing.

True, but if you get holed up in the tent due to a 2 day snow storm, it's nice not to have to stay in the bag all day to keep warm.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If you are holed up, what's to keep you from feeding the stove as needed?

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
If you are holed up, what's to keep you from feeding the stove as needed?

Beer...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Good point but I have trouble getting out of bed when it's 0 degrees in the tent. I get up once or twice to stoke the fire. When I get up it is about 50 degrees.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stoking the fire is always a good thing. A warm sleeping bag is a must just encase.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I use a old Sims sportsman in a 12X14 w/5' side walls and it works fine. As pointed out someone is always getting up to piss, they just add wood as needed. We take turns getting up stoking the stove when the alarm goes off @ 3 am....

" He who refuses to do the arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense" John McCarthy

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
no pee bottles, huh?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore

I have heated with pine and aspen(that is all we got)with fairly small stoves. Amazing once a bed of coals is built up and you can bank the wood down and shut the stove down how long it will burn, Early morning the flame might not be there, but it is still putting out heat from the coals and metal box. Of course the stove needs to be pretty tight.

I have never heard of or used a stove that would keep a tent warm all night on one charge of western softwood. Coal might be different, but my stove, even though it's advertised as having a coal grate doesn't burn it work a chit.if there is none out there I am all ears.

Last edited by BWalker; 08/19/14.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
There isn't one. I have a small cast-iron Dutchwest in my house that weighs 200lb and it won't keep a true burn longer than 5 hours or so, and that's with oak.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Years ago we had one of those Franklins that was not air tight and we went thru a lot of wood. Then we got a Fisher and we would load it up in the morning before we went to work and it was still going when we got home. We did the same thing when we went to bed.

Only electric was available when we built our house and it was too expensive. We heated with wood from about 1976 thru the mid eighties and only had either aspen or ponderosa pine. Growing up we heated with a coal furnace and it never went out all winter.

I don't think many people today know how to properly bank down a fire to get it to burn all night.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Banking a stove down isnt rocket science. One problem with choking a tent stove down is that the chimney creosotes up when burning coniferous softwoods. If you use a spark arrestor its even worse.

When I use my tent stove near my home in upper MI, I fire it with sugar maple, which is one of the highest BTU contents. it still wont go all night.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
One problem with choking a tent stove down is that the chimney creosotes up when burning coniferous softwoods.

Old wives' tale. "Rural" legend. Moisture content is what determines creosote deposition, not the specie of wood burned.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hey professor, he's right about choking the stove down. The hotter the fire and/or the more oxygen, the more complete the combustion and the less creosote buildup you get. Regardless of the type of wood burned.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
There is cure for that creosote build up.It's called cleaning your chimney.I did it about twice a week in the winter whenIwas heating with wood. In elk camp,we did it about mid week in a ten day season.

It's not rocket science

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I was gonna say, in a tent that stays up for a week or two at a time, it's not a big deal.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
One problem with choking a tent stove down is that the chimney creosotes up when burning coniferous softwoods.

Old wives' tale. "Rural" legend. Moisture content is what determines creosote deposition, not the specie of wood burned.

That is true. Flue gas temp is what determines creosote buildup, so a cooler fire will produce more. Burning softwoods however, has nothing to do with it.

Would that isn't dry causes creosote because turning the moisture in the wood to steam, markedly lowers flue gas temps.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

That is true. Flue gas temp is what determines creosote buildup, so a cooler fire will produce more. Burning softwoods however, has nothing to do with it.

Would that isn't dry causes creosote because turning the moisture in the wood to steam, markedly lowers flue gas temps.

You forgot to log in under one of your other names friend.

Try again.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
This is completely off the wood stove subject, but I thought I would throw it out. Several years ago due to my health and physical limitations, we quit doing pack ins. The we started to camp at the truck in a bigger wall tent with a wood stove. No problems, but again cutting all that firewood for a ten day hunt was hard for us old farts to do.

I bought a 30K BTU Blue Flame heater from Northern Tool and heated with that. Guaranteed someone will come on here and say burning propane will cause a lot of humidity in the tent. Here in Colorado where it is relatively dry, I did not notice that, but it probably would in wetter climates. This worked out great. No more wood cutting, no chimney cleaning. Turn it down to low at night and stay comfy. Reach over in the morning and turn it up. Ten minutes and the tent is 65 degrees or more if wanted.

Later,I had a newer 20 ft gooseneck stock trailer ,that I kept the front stall clean with no animals. When we got to out hunt area I set up the trailer as my living quarters and al kitchen for the entire camp.

A 20 ft all steel trailer gets pretty cold, but that heater served us well. Usually we had to turn it off when cooking. Typically I used two 20 lb bottles of propane per season.

here is the heater on the right side, in the trailer.

Kind of messy,but it shows the heater.

[Linked Image]

This might not work for the OP, but it is a different option if one is not packing in.

Age has again caught up and passed me,so I sold all that and now have a slide in pop up camper and bumper pull traile.r

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/20/14.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by deflave

You forgot to log in under one of your other names friend.

Try again.

Travis

You and Rauncho need to fullfill your suicide pact.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm the last person I'd ever kill. I love me too much.

Job well done on agreeing with yourself by the way.

Laughin' my ass off.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
This is completely off the wood stove subject, but I thought I would throw it out. Several years ago due to my health and physical limitations, we quit doing pack ins. The we started to camp at the truck in a bigger wall tent with a wood stove. No problems, but again cutting all that firewood for a ten day hunt was hard for us old farts to do.

I bought a 30K BTU Blue Flame heater from Northern Tool and heated with that. Guaranteed someone will come on here and say burning propane will cause a lot of humidity in the tent. Here in Colorado where it is relatively dry, I did not notice that, but it probably would in wetter climates. This worked out great. No more wood cutting, no chimney cleaning. Turn it down to low at night and stay comfy. Reach over in the morning and turn it up. Ten minutes and the tent is 65 degrees or more if wanted.

That's a damn good idea. Especially for areas that have no trees.

Travis

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No trees? That's bullish**.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by smokepole
No trees? That's bullish**.

I have no reason to lie outside of court:

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yes, but that doesn't stop you. I think you do it for fun.

Is that elk hunting?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yes, but that doesn't stop you. I think you do it for fun.

Is that elk hunting?

I'd say it's about 20 miles from elk hunting. Similar country though.

Meaning you'd have to haul firewood.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
True, but if you get holed up in the tent due to a 2 day snow storm, it's nice not to have to stay in the bag all day to keep warm

I guess one had to be there, as I don't quite understand that one either. There's usually a 2-week supply of wood stacked in my tent with the stove.

As to areas with no trees, take the wife and kid along.
Buffalo chip lady.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 1minute; 08/20/14.

1Minute
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
True, but if you get holed up in the tent due to a 2 day snow storm, it's nice not to have to stay in the bag all day to keep warm

I guess one had to be there, as I don't quite understand that one either. There's usually a 2-week supply of wood stacked in my tent with the stove.

As to areas with no trees, take the wife and kid along.
Buffalo chip lady.

[Linked Image]

That's why Trav's old lady left, "I'm sick of this schidt"

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What do you mean, that is his old lady.......

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

She looks more your speed. Meaning old.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

That's why Trav's old lady left, "I'm sick of this schidt"

TAK,

It is not my fault your wife makes you live in a schit hole!

Would LOVE to see tent and stove setup.

Thanks,
Travis

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by deflave

She looks more your speed. Meaning old.

Travis

Yeah, but the dress is too revealing, I couldn't deal with that.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
She's a freakin' hussy...

Travis

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Damn her. Look at Jo Jo the pig faced little girl. She is a freak.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Dammit, Travis snuck one in on me while I was away.......

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
There is cure for that creosote build up.It's called cleaning your chimney.I did it about twice a week in the winter whenIwas heating with wood. In elk camp,we did it about mid week in a ten day season.

It's not rocket science

No, it's not, but it is a dirty, stinky job I'd rather not do in elk camp. And I have had a stove pipe plug up to the point it was hard to get a decent burn going. This was midway through a 10 day trip. Burning Douglas fir and using a spark arrestor. Next year I ditched the arrestor and fired a little harder with out issue.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Later,I had a newer 20 ft gooseneck stock trailer ,that I kept the front stall clean with no animals. When we got to out hunt area I set up the trailer as my living quarters and al kitchen for the entire camp.

A 20 ft all steel trailer gets pretty cold, but that heater served us well. Usually we had to turn it off when cooking. Typically I used two 20 lb bottles of propane per season.

here is the heater on the right side, in the trailer.

Kind of messy,but it shows the heater.

[Linked Image]

This might not work for the OP, but it is a different option if one is not packing in.

Age has again caught up and passed me,so I sold all that and now have a slide in pop up camper and bumper pull traile.r

Nice setup.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Imo standing dead fir and lodge pole holds a lot of moisture, so yea it does matter. In contrast standing dead maple will be bone dry by the time the bark has slipped off.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
675 members (219DW, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,900 guests, and 1,432 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.