Print Thread
Hop To
M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I had to replace the forend on my 1910 Winchester 401 Self Loader. I thought it would be a good time to strip it down and give it a good cleaning. Man, unless your ready for a wrestling match it's better to leave that recoil spring in place. The gun comes apart pretty easy and other than that recoil spring goes back together pretty easy. Took me a couple hours of playing with it to get the spring back in place and the guide rod screwed back in. It's back together now and I'm putting some finish on the new forend.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good post, spot on. Some should not be, were not meant to be taken apart. Take Browning and the 45 Government Model and the 92 Winchester. One was meant to be broken down (it was in the specification) one not. He swung both ways, though it sometimes seems he liked the latter better, more scope for a greater number of parts no one else would think up. Brake Clean or dunking.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm glad you got the spring back in.

You are now qualified to attempt to replace the dog spring on a Ford 532 Square Baler. smile

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mart, I made the mistake of pulling down my 1907 win sl. took me a month to get the spring back in. of course I read after the fact that the factory recommended returning the weapon to be broken down as they had a "special" tool to do it.

I love shooting these fine old guns though. and mine is surprisingly accurate. tough to get bullets and brass but fun.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
This one had a beat up forend, that was really loose. Also had a rough chamber, causing some case sticking, and in one case one case was torn in two. I polished the chamber with some 4-0 steel wool on a 41 mag brush with lots of oil, turning slowly with a drill. I got to the range with it today and was encouraged by how well it shot. No sticking cases and one tight little ten shot cluster slightly less than 1.5" at 25 yards and no flyers. It was all over the place with the old forend being loose. The tabs on the front and back of the old forend were beat to nubbins and I couldn't tighten the barrel nut enough to snug it up. I'm working on the new forend now and got on the first coat of finish. I had thought I might sell it but it shoots so well now I think I'll keep it.

As a side not, I made this brass catcher last winter after chasing expensive Quality Cartridge brass all over. Works great. [Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good idea on the brass catcher.

LOL
M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks. It works great. That 401 can seriously fling some brass.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I have not taken apart a 401, but the Winchester 60a and Winchester 1895 have very few hints on the internet as to how to reassemble.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
My old NRA guide to firearms assembly states, "Since reassembly of bolt spring guide, buffer washers and buffer, and bolt cannot be accomplished without factory tools, disassembly of the bolt is not recommended and should only be attempted by a skilled gunsmith with the proper tools at hand." I found the book after I got it back together.

Sometimes it's better not to know what you can't do.

There's a good video on you tube on how to disassemble a 1907/10 but nothing on how to put it back together.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mart
I found the book after I got it back together.

My liberal friend tries to work on his car. I keep telling him to do enough research before he starts so he is taking the right end apart. He took out the rear axles for what turned out to be a valve under the hood.

After years in aerospace I am cagy about doing anything I can't prove is prudent.

The "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" attitude works better at lots of things, the disassembly of an unknown gun is not one of them.

When I take apart a complicated gun, I GOOGle search, I look at my gunsmithing books, I take pictures, and practice putting it back together, taking if further apart each time.

Sometimes I even have to go buy another gun to see what it SHOULD look like.

Life would be easier if there were a youtube on Win 1895 disassembly / assembly.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A couple of weeks ago I was cleaning a Baby Browning 25ACP and had a heck of a time putting it back together and making it work. Googled it and it was an easy fix.

M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Actually disassembly of the 1910 is super simple. And really reassembly isn't all that complicated except you need to have four hands and the patience of Job to get that recoil buffer spring back in place. Really aren't that many parts and it seems to still work pretty good even without the few left over parts. grin I'm kidding. No left over parts. It's all back together with all its parts and pieces in their proper place.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jericho
A couple of weeks ago I was cleaning a Baby Browning 25ACP and had a heck of a time putting it back together and making it work. Googled it and it was an easy fix.

That one is a real treat! I will not do another full dis-assembly unless absolutely necessary.

The side benefit of this job was I learned exactly how the safety functions on this pistol. I will NEVER carry this with a loaded chamber.

405wcf

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
these old win self loaders are the bees knees for shooting. I love the brass catcher. my .351 throws brass further than my ak!
I had to mow the grass around my shooting area down to 1/2 inch to be able to find my brass. my 1907 will put 5 rounds in 1.5 inches at 50 yards and dead on point of aim. its fun to open up a hole where the bullseye was!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Back when I was gunsmithing, I had a few of those come in as basket cases. All were common makes/models. The ONE guy that did not say "my kid took this apart.... " got a discount... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
310 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 2,056 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,822
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.