Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
am thinking of getting an ar only interested in F N or colt ,i know F N makes them for the military now ,are there civillian model as good as the military version and which is better FN or colt ? wanting it to target practace and home defense

NRA Life Member
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My Colt M-4 HBAR Elite is nice, but it is an AR after all, same ol', same ol'. Nothing much special about them, squeeze trigger, goes bang, hits target. Colt name may be worth a bit more in long run, but I didn't buy it to sell it used.

Buy the one with features you want or need.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Colt. For the name. For the history. For your Mother.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am sure its a flip a coin decision, recent Colts all seem to work fine.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Well I don't know about the FN AR, but my FN Scar 16s is heads and tails above the Colt Competition I used to have!!

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Colt Competition isn't Colt, just to keep the comparison fair.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
forget them piston AR's and SCAR's and just get you a good AK! The SCAR is just an AK want a be! grin

Last edited by jimmyp; 09/12/14.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I have spent a good bit of time both at Colt Defense and Fabrique nationale.

Both are excellent companies. FN though, is a thoroughly modern, completely state of the art factory that I was immensely impressed with its capabilities.

COLT, is a great manufacturer, and its weapons are top notch, but the facility leaves a lot to be desired. The unions are destroying colt.

In the end you cannot go wrong buying either and I would carry either into battle with confidence.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
I've been issued both Colt and FN M4s, and there's no practical difference between them functionally or in terms of accuracy. Would be proud to own either.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I have spent a good bit of time both at Colt Defense and Fabrique nationale.

Both are excellent companies. FN though, is a thoroughly modern, completely state of the art factory that I was immensely impressed with its capabilities.

COLT, is a great manufacturer, and its weapons are top notch, but the facility leaves a lot to be desired. The unions are destroying colt.

In the end you cannot go wrong buying either and I would carry either into battle with confidence.

Why is the union responsible for substandard facilities? Sounds more like a management problem.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by hunt4570
Well I don't know about the FN AR, but my FN Scar 16s is heads and tails above the Colt Competition I used to have!!

[Linked Image]

Hopefully FN does a better job with the quality of the triggers they send out on their ARs. My friend had the pleasure of spending $2800 on a SCAR 17s and got the worst trigger I've ever pulled. So bad it ruined the rifle. You shouldn't spend that much and get a [bleep] trigger. The QC department at FN should have never let that one leave the factory.

Scott
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't comment on the FN rifles other than they look well made and "feel" like a solid rifle. I have never actually shot one. However, I just got a new Colt LE6920 and am very pleased with its fit and finish. The receivers have absolutely zero play between them, the front sight post is pinned perfect (not canted) all moving parts are smooth and finished well, and no blemishes in machining or anodizing. I know this isn't the case for all rifles coming out of Colt's factory but I was very pleased.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
Originally Posted by hunt4570

[Linked Image]

Hopefully FN does a better job with the quality of the triggers they send out on their ARs. My friend had the pleasure of spending $2800 on a SCAR 17s and got the worst trigger I've ever pulled. So bad it ruined the rifle. You shouldn't spend that much and get a [bleep] trigger. The QC department at FN should have never let that one leave the factory.
never seen a bad trigger ruin a rifle. Won a handful of perry medals one year before I learned to work on my own m14 after it started doubling and a guy ran some Emory paper in there. Pull was around 10 pounds for two weeks shooting

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by CBMJR
I can't comment on the FN rifles other than they look well made and "feel" like a solid rifle. I have never actually shot one. However, I just got a new Colt LE6920 and am very pleased with its fit and finish. The receivers have absolutely zero play between them, the front sight post is pinned perfect (not canted) all moving parts are smooth and finished well, and no blemishes in machining or anodizing. I know this isn't the case for all rifles coming out of Colt's factory but I was very pleased.

And while I agree on what u see from.on colt on ur particular gun being nice I
Not one of those issues makes it shoot better by a noticeable difference

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by CBMJR

And while I agree on what u see from.on colt on ur particular gun being nice I
Not one of those issues makes it shoot better by a noticeable difference

I agree mostly. I have had better accuracy with tight fitting receivers vs loose ones. Although, that mainly affects the shooter, not necessarily the rifles mechanical accuracy. Having not shot an FN, I left accuracy and reliability out as I can't compare. The Colt is accurate for what it is and obviously very reliable.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably no major difference, but from everything I have read FN is prohibited from contract by using the same exact processes on it's non-US military M16 variants while Colt is not. Look up information on Technical Data Packages for more details.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by old70
I've been issued both Colt and FN M4s, and there's no practical difference between them functionally or in terms of accuracy. Would be proud to own either.

Issued by whom?

Is FN now making M4's? I know Colt lost the DOD contract but it was contested, never heard who wound up with it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by TWR

Issued by whom?
Is FN now making M4's? I know Colt lost the DOD contract but it was contested, never heard who wound up with it.

Yes, they are:

http://kitup.military.com/2013/02/army-awards-m4m4a1-contract-fn.html

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 09/20/14.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I hadn't been paying attention, that's good to know.

Thanks.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rost495
never seen a bad trigger ruin a rifle. Won a handful of perry medals one year before I learned to work on my own m14 after it started doubling and a guy ran some Emory paper in there. Pull was around 10 pounds for two weeks shooting

I guess I have unrealistic expectations that a $2800 rifle should do better than a 10+LB 3 stage trigger full of grit. I expect a decent one when you spend that kind of money.

Scott
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 63 invisible), 3,231 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,533
Posts18,452,957
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.