-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Anyone have any info on the Queenstown area? Will be visiting my daughter there next year around September or October. Would like to do some hunting if it's not too expensive, but otherwise I would like to do some hiking around the mountians. Would appreciate any info on the area.
Thanks

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Get the Lonely Planet guide for New Zealand. They also publish a Trekking New Zealand guide. Outstanding mountain hut system. I like the South Island more than the North Island. Highly recommend Gerald Telford www.flyfishhunt.com.nz for fly fishing and hunting.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Go to www.fishnhunt.co.nz. get on there , intoduce yourself.
Tell a story about a hunt or a hike, you've done.
Explain what you are up to , maybe explain what you could do for someone should they come over your way.s some good guys on there , They should point you in the right direction.
You could even get offers to go hunting

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Big game seasons are on now so you may have to chase hares, cats and feral goats. You'll arrive in early spring there. I was in Queenstown last April but only for one night.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Chamois and Tahr aren't too far away. Creeks around Fox glacier
apparently hold chamois that can be accessed by walking in off the main road

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
I don"t know much about the hunting there, but I can tell you it's very beautiful there. It on the shore of a large, beautiful lake whose name escapes me at the moment.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You must visit Monty's restaurant, for Red Deer and Green lipped mussels, washed down with Montieth's Black Ale. Pure heaven!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
+1 on Monteith's beer. There are several flavors and most all are excellent. My favorite is Monteith's Original.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by super T
I don"t know much about the hunting there, but I can tell you it's very beautiful there. It on the shore of a large, beautiful lake whose name escapes me at the moment.

Lake Wakatipu.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Wakatipu

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Queenstown is a little touristy for me. Give Wanaka a try.

And do this if you're really adventuresome. My Wife and thought it the single most exciting day we've ever spent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wypb1YMTP3s

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Folks here are correct about the excellent hiking/huts/hunting not far away - we saw the game. Don't know about the permit/fee/guide requirements - private land hunting may be simpler.

The area is beautiful - caught fish in the lake and a few kilos out of town on a nice stream that feeds in - for a while fished off a road bridge. BUT - compared to the fascinating and lovely towns and open country experienced in most of the rest of the southern half of the South Island (in a rented MoHome), Queenstown itself was disappointingly touristy - venues, restrictions and prices.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Public land hunting permits are free from D O C. No guide requirements.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Man there are some world class hikes there. If you like to hike you can do the Milford track. Routburn hike. You can bungy jump there is a lot to do. Hunting unless you know a local is expesive venture but doable. I have been down to New Zealand about 5 times we were in Queenstown last December. I was not aware there was a season. My next trip down I will be hunting with some locals. It helps that my wife is a kiwi.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nothing is simpler than hunting in NZ and it is not expenisive at all. All you need is petrol, backpack and a rifle.
If you drive over to the West Coast and hike up just about any West coast river you will find deer, tahr, chamois.
The huts are public, anyone can stay.

There are no seasons for hunting. All you need is a free permit from Dept of Conservation, which you can get online. For firearm you need a visators permit which you get on arrival at the airport from the police for $25. Thats it.

Queenstown itself is a tourist trap. Get out to there as soon as possible. Everywhere else is just as pretty, and a lot cheaper

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
+1 on Wanaka. Great area and not so touristy. For those who visit NZ for the first time, be sure and get a pie. Not a cherry or apple, but a meat pie. The best things since cold beer...I normally get beef and mushroom. It's a good thing NZ is so far from where I live, or I'd be a life-sized version of the Pillsbury doughboy.

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 08/14/14.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 3,138 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,774
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.