Hop To
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 21 22
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
It starts today. Everything is ready. Out the door in about an hour. Hope everyone has a great season. I'll report back later.....

maddog

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
you suck

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Yes I do! grin It was a fabulous morning in the woods. Temp was 48 at 7am. Went to the first of 3 woods, I hit this am. Got in and set down under an oak tree, and waited for the woods to come alive. About 15 min. later, look what showed up.

[Linked Image]

Five half grown coons.

Hunted this woods for 2 hrs., and only saw one squirrel, at a distance. Walked around, and didn't see any cuttings, and the trees didn't seem to have many nuts on them. Left at 9am, and headed north to a little patch, that is loaded with hickories. No more than stepped in the woods, and found cuttings, and a fox squirrel barked at me. Snuck up behind a tree, put the sights on him, squeezed the trigger, and mmmmmissed! frown Seems like the first squirrel, every season, goes that way[at least for the last 3 yrs.] grin

Move on and heard another one cutting. Got up behind a tree, and this time I DIDN'T miss! grin

[Linked Image]

The season is officially started! Hunted for another hr., and things slowed up. I was heading back to the truck, and caught one on the ground. He jumped up on the side of a tree, and I free handed him, and got a head shot.

[Linked Image]

Went to the truck, took this pic, and cleaned the squirrels. Ah, kinda like missing the first squirrel, well cleaning the first on, I broke the tail off....which makes for a tad bit more effort in the cleaning process......sometimes it sux to be me....

Got them cleaned and decided to hit one more patch, before calling it a day. Walked in, and stood behind an oak for 15-20 mins. Directly, i heard a fox squirrel barking, and he was giving me quite a cussing. Got up behind another oak, and took a 60 yd. shot. DRT!

[Linked Image]

This ole boy is definately limb chicken chowder material.

[Linked Image]

See what I mean? grin

Well, mama's going out with the girls tonight, so in honor of opening day, I'm frying me a squirrel, making some gravy, and following up with a ripe ole mater.

maddog

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by maddog
Yes I do! grin It was a fabulous morning in the woods. Temp was 48 at 7am. Went to the first of 3 woods, I hit this am. Got in and set down under an oak tree, and waited for the woods to come alive. About 15 min. later, look what showed up.

[Linked Image]

Five half grown coons.

Hunted this woods for 2 hrs., and only saw one squirrel, at a distance. Walked around, and didn't see any cuttings, and the trees didn't seem to have many nuts on them. Left at 9am, and headed north to a little patch, that is loaded with hickories. No more than stepped in the woods, and found cuttings, and a fox squirrel barked at me. Snuck up behind a tree, put the sights on him, squeezed the trigger, and mmmmmissed! frown Seems like the first squirrel, every season, goes that way[at least for the last 3 yrs.] grin

Move on and heard another one cutting. Got up behind a tree, and this time I DIDN'T miss! grin

[Linked Image]

The season is officially started! Hunted for another hr., and things slowed up. I was heading back to the truck, and caught one on the ground. He jumped up on the side of a tree, and I free handed him, and got a head shot.

[Linked Image]

Went to the truck, took this pic, and cleaned the squirrels. Ah, kinda like missing the first squirrel, well cleaning the first on, I broke the tail off....which makes for a tad bit more effort in the cleaning process......sometimes it sux to be me....

Got them cleaned and decided to hit one more patch, before calling it a day. Walked in, and stood behind an oak for 15-20 mins. Directly, i heard a fox squirrel barking, and he was giving me quite a cussing. Got up behind another oak, and took a 60 yd. shot. DRT!

[Linked Image]

This ole boy is definately limb chicken chowder material.

[Linked Image]

See what I mean? grin

Well, mama's going out with the girls tonight, so in honor of opening day, I'm frying me a squirrel, making some gravy, and following up with a ripe ole mater.

maddog

well done.

save the pics for S.A.D.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Way to get it done!

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cool beans Mike! Im gonna hafta invest in a second 'squirrel motel' this year as Im stepping up urban trapping operations grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Today is going to be an "interesting" hunt. About an hr. or so from now, I'm taking Dexter[aka: Butthead] squirrel hunting with me. He's our 2 yr. old mini pins. Mama finally relented and said ok. He's treed a couple of squirrels in the backyard, so I want to see him in the woods. May not even get a squirrel, but the laughs oughta be great! Yes, I'll have my camera with me. I'll report back, later today.

maddog

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, no interesting stories or pics. Got to the woods, and it got dark overcast. Got into an area of tall hickories, and could hear them cutting, but it was almost impossible to pick them out of the leafy cover. Dexter and i hunted 2 hrs., then it started to rain. I did get a very hasty shot at one, but missed him. Oh well, maybe tomorrow.

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 08/16/14.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Man, I'm jealous. Season doesn't open here until Oct 1st.

(And I'll probably have to muzzleloading some venison before I get to squirrel hunt.)

They're eating pecans all around the neighborhood.

Ella

S
S
You guys are killing me I have to wait till Aug 30th

IC B3

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Gonna give it a shot this am, since I need to get back to work, tomorrow. Stepped out the door, and the temp is in the mid 60s, but the humidity must be 90%. Gonna head out to one of my favorite patches, a little after sunrise. Later.

maddog

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, for the second day in a row, dark overcast. Got to the woods, and didn't hear a peep for over an hr. Finally saw one running through the trees. Only way I could see him, because he was sky lined. Heard 2 others fussing with each other, so I moved toward them. About that time it started to rain, so I headed for home. To heck with it, not going again unless the sun is shining. frown

maddog

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Well, a morning squirrel hunting in the rain would make my week. Don't worry, there's plenty of season left!

What kind of area you hunting in?

Ella

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Ella, it's mostly farm country with woodlots of 4-40 acres. With all the rain and mild temps this summer, the weeds/briars are huge, in the majority of the woods I hunt. This pic will give you some idea.

[Linked Image]

This woods, the weeds/briars are actually shorter than the other five woods I've hit so far. There's no shortage of squirrels, I've seen/heard them in every woods I've hit so far, it's been the weather the last 2 days. Been so dark in the morning, with the overcast, ya need a spotlight so ya can jacklight them way up in a hickory! grin Back to work today, but it's foggier than h**l here, this am.

maddog

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Sounds like a fun place to hunt in the early fall. Scope might brighten things?

Enjoy. Green with envy.

Ella

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorta glad I'm not hunting yet. Heat index has been 100+. Had to some tractor work on our duck lease and sweated so bad I nearly slipped out of the seat. A lady that lives down south of us killed a rattler that over 6ft. 17 rattles and a button. Would hate to sit down next to him while skwerl hunting..

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Ella
Sounds like a fun place to hunt in the early fall. Scope might brighten things?

Enjoy. Green with envy.

Ella

Had a 2-7x nikon prostaff on the sportster, and it was still dark up in them leaves. If the sun is shining Wed. am, I'm going to give it a shot.

maddog

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Shucks up here , heck there are rabbits would eat the wellps and never have gas..

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M

Went this morning, because it may be the last decent day until Sun. Got in the woods, about 7:30 am. We had a helluva thunderstorm, last night, and the trees were dripping pretty heavy. Spotted one up a tall oak, fired and missed.... Watched him move thru the trees, and eased on up to another oak. Spotted him up in a crotch. Cranked up the scope and put the crosshairs on him, POP. He falls straight to the ground. It's over a slight knoll. I walk over to where he thumped the ground, and no squirrel! Evidently I barked him, and when he hit the ground, he hauled azz. Never did find him frown.

Moved on east, and saw one shaking branches up a pig nut hickory. I tried to get a shot for over 1/2 hr., moving 3 times. Finally spotted him, and shot. This time it was straight down, and he didn't go anywhere. grin Picked him up and put him on the stringer, and moved maybe 50 ft. About that time two fox squirrels started giving me a cussing. I saw one go up a tree and in a hole. Meantime I hear two more up on tree giving me hell. I line up on the 1st one, and head popped him, straight down. The other one moved out on a bare limb, tail flapping as he went. One more shot, and straight down, right next to the other one. kinda felt like I redeemed myself, from the first one. grin

[Linked Image]

Went on hunting, but didn't see another squirrel, so about 11 am, I headed to the truck to clean them. It was geeting pretty warm/humid. All three were males, and two had some age on em. Musta interupted a batchelor party. grin

[Linked Image]

maddog

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Congrats! Still haven't been out yet. Next week will hopefully be another story.

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

580 members (257 mag, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 260Remguy, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,115 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,292
Posts18,448,967
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.