Hop To
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 21 22
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
It starts today. Everything is ready. Out the door in about an hour. Hope everyone has a great season. I'll report back later.....

maddog

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
you suck

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Yes I do! grin It was a fabulous morning in the woods. Temp was 48 at 7am. Went to the first of 3 woods, I hit this am. Got in and set down under an oak tree, and waited for the woods to come alive. About 15 min. later, look what showed up.

[Linked Image]

Five half grown coons.

Hunted this woods for 2 hrs., and only saw one squirrel, at a distance. Walked around, and didn't see any cuttings, and the trees didn't seem to have many nuts on them. Left at 9am, and headed north to a little patch, that is loaded with hickories. No more than stepped in the woods, and found cuttings, and a fox squirrel barked at me. Snuck up behind a tree, put the sights on him, squeezed the trigger, and mmmmmissed! frown Seems like the first squirrel, every season, goes that way[at least for the last 3 yrs.] grin

Move on and heard another one cutting. Got up behind a tree, and this time I DIDN'T miss! grin

[Linked Image]

The season is officially started! Hunted for another hr., and things slowed up. I was heading back to the truck, and caught one on the ground. He jumped up on the side of a tree, and I free handed him, and got a head shot.

[Linked Image]

Went to the truck, took this pic, and cleaned the squirrels. Ah, kinda like missing the first squirrel, well cleaning the first on, I broke the tail off....which makes for a tad bit more effort in the cleaning process......sometimes it sux to be me....

Got them cleaned and decided to hit one more patch, before calling it a day. Walked in, and stood behind an oak for 15-20 mins. Directly, i heard a fox squirrel barking, and he was giving me quite a cussing. Got up behind another oak, and took a 60 yd. shot. DRT!

[Linked Image]

This ole boy is definately limb chicken chowder material.

[Linked Image]

See what I mean? grin

Well, mama's going out with the girls tonight, so in honor of opening day, I'm frying me a squirrel, making some gravy, and following up with a ripe ole mater.

maddog

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by maddog
Yes I do! grin It was a fabulous morning in the woods. Temp was 48 at 7am. Went to the first of 3 woods, I hit this am. Got in and set down under an oak tree, and waited for the woods to come alive. About 15 min. later, look what showed up.

[Linked Image]

Five half grown coons.

Hunted this woods for 2 hrs., and only saw one squirrel, at a distance. Walked around, and didn't see any cuttings, and the trees didn't seem to have many nuts on them. Left at 9am, and headed north to a little patch, that is loaded with hickories. No more than stepped in the woods, and found cuttings, and a fox squirrel barked at me. Snuck up behind a tree, put the sights on him, squeezed the trigger, and mmmmmissed! frown Seems like the first squirrel, every season, goes that way[at least for the last 3 yrs.] grin

Move on and heard another one cutting. Got up behind a tree, and this time I DIDN'T miss! grin

[Linked Image]

The season is officially started! Hunted for another hr., and things slowed up. I was heading back to the truck, and caught one on the ground. He jumped up on the side of a tree, and I free handed him, and got a head shot.

[Linked Image]

Went to the truck, took this pic, and cleaned the squirrels. Ah, kinda like missing the first squirrel, well cleaning the first on, I broke the tail off....which makes for a tad bit more effort in the cleaning process......sometimes it sux to be me....

Got them cleaned and decided to hit one more patch, before calling it a day. Walked in, and stood behind an oak for 15-20 mins. Directly, i heard a fox squirrel barking, and he was giving me quite a cussing. Got up behind another oak, and took a 60 yd. shot. DRT!

[Linked Image]

This ole boy is definately limb chicken chowder material.

[Linked Image]

See what I mean? grin

Well, mama's going out with the girls tonight, so in honor of opening day, I'm frying me a squirrel, making some gravy, and following up with a ripe ole mater.

maddog

well done.

save the pics for S.A.D.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Way to get it done!

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cool beans Mike! Im gonna hafta invest in a second 'squirrel motel' this year as Im stepping up urban trapping operations grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Today is going to be an "interesting" hunt. About an hr. or so from now, I'm taking Dexter[aka: Butthead] squirrel hunting with me. He's our 2 yr. old mini pins. Mama finally relented and said ok. He's treed a couple of squirrels in the backyard, so I want to see him in the woods. May not even get a squirrel, but the laughs oughta be great! Yes, I'll have my camera with me. I'll report back, later today.

maddog

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, no interesting stories or pics. Got to the woods, and it got dark overcast. Got into an area of tall hickories, and could hear them cutting, but it was almost impossible to pick them out of the leafy cover. Dexter and i hunted 2 hrs., then it started to rain. I did get a very hasty shot at one, but missed him. Oh well, maybe tomorrow.

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 08/16/14.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Man, I'm jealous. Season doesn't open here until Oct 1st.

(And I'll probably have to muzzleloading some venison before I get to squirrel hunt.)

They're eating pecans all around the neighborhood.

Ella

S
S
You guys are killing me I have to wait till Aug 30th

IC B3

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Gonna give it a shot this am, since I need to get back to work, tomorrow. Stepped out the door, and the temp is in the mid 60s, but the humidity must be 90%. Gonna head out to one of my favorite patches, a little after sunrise. Later.

maddog

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, for the second day in a row, dark overcast. Got to the woods, and didn't hear a peep for over an hr. Finally saw one running through the trees. Only way I could see him, because he was sky lined. Heard 2 others fussing with each other, so I moved toward them. About that time it started to rain, so I headed for home. To heck with it, not going again unless the sun is shining. frown

maddog

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Well, a morning squirrel hunting in the rain would make my week. Don't worry, there's plenty of season left!

What kind of area you hunting in?

Ella

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Ella, it's mostly farm country with woodlots of 4-40 acres. With all the rain and mild temps this summer, the weeds/briars are huge, in the majority of the woods I hunt. This pic will give you some idea.

[Linked Image]

This woods, the weeds/briars are actually shorter than the other five woods I've hit so far. There's no shortage of squirrels, I've seen/heard them in every woods I've hit so far, it's been the weather the last 2 days. Been so dark in the morning, with the overcast, ya need a spotlight so ya can jacklight them way up in a hickory! grin Back to work today, but it's foggier than h**l here, this am.

maddog

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Sounds like a fun place to hunt in the early fall. Scope might brighten things?

Enjoy. Green with envy.

Ella

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorta glad I'm not hunting yet. Heat index has been 100+. Had to some tractor work on our duck lease and sweated so bad I nearly slipped out of the seat. A lady that lives down south of us killed a rattler that over 6ft. 17 rattles and a button. Would hate to sit down next to him while skwerl hunting..

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Ella
Sounds like a fun place to hunt in the early fall. Scope might brighten things?

Enjoy. Green with envy.

Ella

Had a 2-7x nikon prostaff on the sportster, and it was still dark up in them leaves. If the sun is shining Wed. am, I'm going to give it a shot.

maddog

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Shucks up here , heck there are rabbits would eat the wellps and never have gas..

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M

Went this morning, because it may be the last decent day until Sun. Got in the woods, about 7:30 am. We had a helluva thunderstorm, last night, and the trees were dripping pretty heavy. Spotted one up a tall oak, fired and missed.... Watched him move thru the trees, and eased on up to another oak. Spotted him up in a crotch. Cranked up the scope and put the crosshairs on him, POP. He falls straight to the ground. It's over a slight knoll. I walk over to where he thumped the ground, and no squirrel! Evidently I barked him, and when he hit the ground, he hauled azz. Never did find him frown.

Moved on east, and saw one shaking branches up a pig nut hickory. I tried to get a shot for over 1/2 hr., moving 3 times. Finally spotted him, and shot. This time it was straight down, and he didn't go anywhere. grin Picked him up and put him on the stringer, and moved maybe 50 ft. About that time two fox squirrels started giving me a cussing. I saw one go up a tree and in a hole. Meantime I hear two more up on tree giving me hell. I line up on the 1st one, and head popped him, straight down. The other one moved out on a bare limb, tail flapping as he went. One more shot, and straight down, right next to the other one. kinda felt like I redeemed myself, from the first one. grin

[Linked Image]

Went on hunting, but didn't see another squirrel, so about 11 am, I headed to the truck to clean them. It was geeting pretty warm/humid. All three were males, and two had some age on em. Musta interupted a batchelor party. grin

[Linked Image]

maddog

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Congrats! Still haven't been out yet. Next week will hopefully be another story.

S
S
Maddog what gun are you using?

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
It's a H&R Sportster single shot .22 rimfire, with a 2-7x nikon prostaff mounted to it.

maddog

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
That sounds like a satisfying hunt. I love the sneaking and strategizing.

You saving them for stew or frying them as they come in?

Ella

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Four are old, two young. Everything getting frozen so far. Somehow in the next week or so, gotta get me a youngin for frying. As I'm typing this, it's puoring like a cow pizzin on a flat rock outside.

maddog

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Just checked my rain gauge. Since last night, I've dumped 5 3/4" of rain out of the gauge, and it's not over yet.

maddog

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You guys got hammered last night!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats on the good eats! I'm hoping to give it a go on a piece of public ground possibly this weekend. Mostly want to hit the free gun range there with the eldest, but may sneak into the woods to look for a squirrel. They're tough to get there as the place gets ALOT of pressure. I was #22 on the sign in sheet on opening day at 4pm and not everyone follows the rules and signs in. Really wish I could hunt one of the properties I was at for work this week. Very little undergrowth and quite a few big white oaks and hickories, right on the Tippecanoe...

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
The way the weather sounds, don't think I'll get back out til thurs., when my son is coming up for a hunt.

maddog

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Forecast is calling for 97-98 deg highs in my area for a few days...makes for a tough hunt..

Gonna have to face the heat if I get out in this soup!

Dave

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Just got hammered again, about an hr. ago. Over 2 1/4" in about 40 minutes. That makes 8", since thurs. evening, and about 10" for August. This sucks.....

maddog

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Got caught up with work, so took off this morning, but couldn't get away until 9 am. Didn't hear much cutting, but across the woods I saw two running on the ground. Moved in on them, when I heard one bark off to the right. Eased over there, and all was quiet for about 45 mins. I saw him flapping his tail, high in an oake tree. One shot red head. By this time it was 11 am., and getting pretty warm, so I bagged it for the day. My son is hopefully coming up tomorrow, predicated on the weather.

[Linked Image]

maddog

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
My son made it up this am. This was the most beautiful day, since Aug. 15th. Long story short, we hit two woods, and he got two, and I got one. If both of us had been shooting straight, he shoulda had four, and me two. Pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

maddog

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Rain, rain, rain..... Just dumped another 1 1/4" out of the rain gauge. Was hoping to do a lot of hunting over Labor Day weekend. Not looking good. I was batching it last night, so i fried me up a youngster that I had soaking in the fridge. Along with gravy and a ripe mater, me and ole Dex ate good last night. grin

maddog

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Congrats to you and your son! It doesn't get much better than that. I feel your pain on the rain. I still haven't been out due to work and the weather.

Gonna make a call here in a little while to secure a date for doves. May as well get out and get the stink blowed off and the cobwebs outta the scatterguns.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
been about 2 weeks since I have been out.. too long to be away from the woods!

Hope to get out tomorrow evening.. got too much on my plate here lately.

They are still cutting hickory around my place, and am waiting for the pecans to fall prey to them..but that hasnt happened yet. Crows and jays have been picking some off though.

dave

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
was running a bushhog on my deer lease and came by some big pine trees that had bushels of cuttings under them. Will check that area out next month..

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
got out this am. Cloudy and pretty windy. May be more storms coming this pm. Long story short, I got two, from two different pignut hickories. You had to see them, cause you couldn't hear them cutting, in the wind.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The second was a young female. Proud of that one, cause I shot her free hand. Head shot to boot! Not bad for an old geezer! grin

maddog

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Good shooting.

I can't wait. They're going nuts on the pecans around here....

Ella

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
great shootin' ol' geezer

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Going out early tomorrow morning...to bust a couple tree rats and to say a few words to my hunting partner who passed too soon at the age of 49.

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
BC909, sorry to hear about your friend.

I took a buddy hunting, yesterday. Saw a ton of squirrels, but between the skeeters, and the overhead foliage, plus the fact that none of them set still, I couldn't get a shot at any of them. frown The skeeters were the worst I have experienced in years. Came home and found a headnet that I have never used. It's going with me this weekend.

maddog

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks, Mdog....took 2 grays and a red this morning. They weren't moving much in this heat. I got them almost cleaned and remembered that I didn't get a pic. Not quite finished yet,,,,but does this count?? grin

[Linked Image]

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Batchief909
Going out early tomorrow morning...to bust a couple tree rats and to say a few words to my hunting partner who passed too soon at the age of 49.

..sure hate to hear you lost a buddy. Let the good times and good memories keep you strong.

dave

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Got another 2 1/2" of rain, last night, in a little over an hr. That brings us up to 14 1/2-15" of rain, since the first of Aug., with most of it coming since the 20th of Aug. May be a while before I get any more hunting done. frown

maddog

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Going for doves in the morning.

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Got done sweeping up water in the basement, and since it was such a beautiful morning, I hauled my butt to the woods. Man it was nice out, and the skeeters not too bad. Got in, and set up near a pignut hickory that they were cutting on. Saw one moving around up in the hickory. Lined up and shot him. Went to pick him up, and saw another in the top of a big oak, and red headed him with a 40 yd. shot.

[Linked Image]

Moved on deeper in the woods, and saw one up another hickory. No way to get closer, so I took the shot. Out she flopped, thumping the ground. I stepped it off, and it was 60 yds. to the base of the tree. Didn't know I had it in me.....grin

[Linked Image]

Went on, and found another one up an oak, and red headed that lil booger. Time to head for the truck.

[Linked Image]

Ended up with 4 for the day.

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 09/07/14.
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well.....time to see how much rain we get today. Hasn't started, yet, but it's about on top of us. Just about got the basement wall dried up, but depending on the intensity, I may be back at it for the next few days. frown My son is coming up tomorrow, hope we can get a squirrel hunt in, in the morning.

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Jealous here Mike...

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Gonna bag the hunt with my son, today. We had almost 2" of rain, again yesterday. That makes about 16" in the last 20 days. Was up three times last night sweeping up water seepage, in my basement. This last three weeks has been a PITA for hunting.....

maddog

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
temps falling here, supposed to be around 50 degrees Sat morning....squirrel cutting pecans in the orchard, will be there Sat morning to get after them.

============================================================

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
quite a bit of wind this morning, so made them tough to spot, but my son & i drilled 2 each..
[Linked Image]

============================================================

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Congrats! Nice pic!

maddog

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, between the basement water sweeping, I got out today. Really cool, and kind of windy. Saw two, and managed to re head one.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

maddog

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good going! Out once so far..planning on one day this week.

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Back out this am. Got to the woods about 9 am, and hunted til noon. Ended up with two, but both younguns[fryers, yeah!].

[Linked Image]

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You suck�.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
You suck�.

^^^^this^^^^
16 mo' days and I'll try to catch up..

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
We just had our first frost so my urban squirrel trapping, transitioning, and relocation program is about to begin�..

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Dexter the wonder dog and I batched it this weekend. In honor of the weekend, I had fried squirrels and gravy Fri. nite, cold fried squirrel for lunch and dinner on Sat., and two bowls of limb chicken chowder on Sun.......whew! What a weekend. grin

maddog

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Which barrel are you using on the walking stick of yours?

22 LR, 17HM2 ?

Last edited by Spotshooter; 09/15/14.
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
.22 LR. I shoot CCI SV LR for my squirrel hunting.

maddog

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Went out yesterday am. It was absolutely beautiful out. For some reason, the squirrels weren't moving much. It got a little breezy, but I did dumb into one. By 11 am, I bagged it, the skeeters were gittin rammy!

[Linked Image]

maddog

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Got back out this am. Thought it was going to be a great morning. I nailed this one in the first 15 mins. However, the wind picked up, and everything pretty much shut down. Didn't see another squirrel.

[Linked Image]

maddog

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Eleven days to go here in Alabama. Big anticipation, hope it isn't a letdown like opening day of dove season was.

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Hope you have a great season down there! I've hunted pretty hard up here, but the weather hasn't been too cooperative. We've had over 17" of rain, at my place, since Aug. 21. Got more last night, although I'm not sure how much. Gonna hit it a couple more times this next week, because our bow season opens up on Oct. 1. You have to do a little different timing wise, when they're in the woods.

maddog

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
Eleven days to go here in Alabama. Big anticipation, hope it isn't a letdown like opening day of dove season was.

Ain't it the truth. The only thing worse was the teal season. Saw more gators and cottonmouths than teal..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dove opener was the crummiest I've ever experienced. I only fired 8 rounds, killing 2 birds, and the blasted fire ants got them. It was scorching hot and I sunburned badly in spite of how I was dressed. The place I went to was Swan Creek WMA near Decatur AL, which is heavily attended on opening day, and everyone that I spoke to afterwards was highly disappointed. The fields looked great, prepared as well as they've ever been, but only a few sporadic flights of birds showed up. I was going to stay until dark in hopes of some late birds, but a thunderstorm with some seriously heavy lightning rolled in, and I left around 5:30. I want to go back at least once before the season ends, but fuel money is as sparse as the birdies were! The field on our property and neighbors adjoining field is planted in soybeans, and they're turning brown quickly, I hope I can at least have an opportunity to try my hand a few times around here before season's ending.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All the beans and corn has been cut here. Lots of birds but scattered. I'm concentrating on shooting my crossbow and .22s. May shoot a few skwerls with a pistol this year. Been a long time..

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Hardly anything has been harvested up in my area[later planting, cool summer, TOO much RAIN]. May be some beans go, in the next few days, as soon as the ground dries up. I've had almost 17 1/2" of rain, since Aug. 21st. Harvest is going to be way late, this year, compared to most. Won't effect the squirrel hunting, but may play hell with deer season.

maddog

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Decided to bag work and go hunting, this am. Hit a new place i could finally drive to. On the way in, i saw 5 does and 3 turkeys.
Got in, and squirrels were barking all over the place. Unfortunately, they were on the other side of a creek i couldn't cross. Net result, saw three, shot at two, and nailed one. i intend to hunt that place again. Our bow season opens Oct. 1, and there are stands all over. I'll have to change up, and hunt during the week, in the middle of the day.

[Linked Image]

maddog

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Maddog you'd better put up your recipe for squirrel.

I'm thinking to go out and zing some now!!
Nice pic's.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I managed to bag 2 out of the 3 I saw Monday morning.

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Decided to head out this morning and give it a go, before it got too warm. Hit a woods I hadn't been in, yet, this year. Hadn't been in the woods, more than 10 minutes, when I saw one scurry around a big white oak. Shot him at about 15 yds. Stayed put, and saw another, barking at me. Red headed another one, for the skillet. Moved on and heard 2-3 barking. Was watching one, and another came running down the tree I was leaning against. POW! THUD! It was on the ground, in some briars. I bent over to pick him up, and the lil booger run about 2 ft. The briars were thick, so tried to put another shot into his head. Ever try to shot a squirrel at 3 ft with a scoped .22? Not easy. I didn't want to try and step on him, and have him get away[although, after looking at him, he wasn't going far]. Sooo....three shots later, I had him in the bag. frown grin So, I got three on the stringer now, and I start heading back to the truck. Stoped to take this pic.....

[Linked Image]

....and looked up, and saw another one up a near by oak. I eased over and red headed the dude. By this time I'm heading to the truck, with four.

[Linked Image]

Looked up from the tail gate of the pickup, and saw another one up another big oak. Indiana's limit is 5/day, and this would have been my first opportunity at a limit, this year. So, I sneak up on him, and took a free hand shot....and missed! cry Dimmit!......

So I cleaned the four, and headed for home. Didn't know you could shoot that many shells through a single shot, in one outing. grin

maddog

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Congrats man! I wish we had more fox squirrels down here!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cool beans Mike!

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Decided to head out this morning and give it a go, before it got too warm. Hit a woods I hadn't been in, yet, this year. Hadn't been in the woods, more than 10 minutes, when I saw one scurry around a big white oak. Shot him at about 15 yds. Stayed put, and saw another, barking at me. Red headed another one, for the skillet. Moved on and heard 2-3 barking. Was watching one, and another came running down the tree I was leaning against. POW! THUD! It was on the ground, in some briars. I bent over to pick him up, and the lil booger run about 2 ft. The briars were thick, so tried to put another shot into his head. Ever try to shot a squirrel at 3 ft with a scoped .22? Not easy. I didn't want to try and step on him, and have him get away[although, after looking at him, he wasn't going far]. Sooo....three shots later, I had him in the bag. frown grin So, I got three on the stringer now, and I start heading back to the truck. Stoped to take this pic.....

[Linked Image]

....and looked up, and saw another one up a near by oak. I eased over and red headed the dude. By this time I'm heading to the truck, with four.

[Linked Image]

Looked up from the tail gate of the pickup, and saw another one up another big oak. Indiana's limit is 5/day, and this would have been my first opportunity at a limit, this year. So, I sneak up on him, and took a free hand shot....and missed! cry Dimmit!......

So I cleaned the four, and headed for home. Didn't know you could shoot that many shells through a single shot, in one outing. grin

maddog

You are giving that Sportster a workout!

I normally use one of my CZ or vintage BRNO rifles for my squirrel/rabbit hunting...but you are getting me itchy to take my Sportster out in the woods again!

I did some trigger work on it about 2 years ago and it really help a bunch reducing my group sizes.

dave

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well it's nearly here, skwerl season that is. Opens Wed but I got to go teach some rugrats. 3:00 I'm outta there and headed to the woods. Will hunt my woodlot behind my house first.
My son was in the Miss Delta this weekend teal hunting and saw some black squirrels. Will head over there and try a few of them this fall.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You need to retire. grin

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, get your Sportster out and bloody the dang thing! grin

The Sportster gets a few more outings, and maybe the 39a, but I'm itching to get my 10/22 out with the peep sights and give it a workout. Need to get more leaves dropped, before I'll be much good with the 10/22.

maddog

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
schoolmarm, will be anxiously waiting for some pics, come about thurs........

maddog

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You need to retire. grin

Man you said a mouthful. Got an app on my phone that clicks off the seconds.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Retire, go find some of those black squirrels and I will come down and help you shoot them. grin

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Our public land squirrel season opens Wednesday too. Same day as WT muzzle loader. I'm torn. Maybe throw the .22 in the truck and swap out at noon? Hate to waste a day on deer, but it'd be nice to top off the freezer.

Ella

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Retire, go find some of those black squirrels and I will come down and help you shoot them. grin

It's on only if you'll shoot any hogs that come by. And for Gods sake don't shoot a bear. The possum police get bad shook up over it.

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
My son will be here in a few minutes. Only our second outing together. Gonna hit a big 80 acre woods, that I haven't hunted in a long time. Looks like a beautiful morning. Today is the opening of Bow Season for deer, but nobody is bowhunting this particular woods.

Good luck to you boys whose season opens today. schoolmarm and Phil in Alabama, I expect to see some pics from you boys in the next couple days. grin

maddog

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
OMG! Dan and I had an awesome hunt together, this am. We both got our limit[5 a piece] this morning. First time in 3 yrs., for me. We had 4 each, by 10:30 am. We met at the truck, and decided to go out and hunt for another 45 min. He wasn't gone 10 min., and I heard him shoot. I hunted another 35 min., and caught one coming down the side of a pignut hickory. That made a limit for both of us. I was particularly proud of myself, 6 shots, and 5 dead limb chickens!grin

[Linked Image]

Dan before we each got our last one.

[Linked Image]

A pic of me with the whole enchilada!! grin

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 10/01/14.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cool beans Mike!

I just opened the Bates Squirrel Motel today to help combat an invasive species for the fine people of Montana. Our second client today just checked in, and I processed it... whistle

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Season opened today in Alabama. I walked around my woods in the morning and saw none but late afternoon I managed to see one.
[Linked Image]

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Phil, you need a rain. I'll gladly send you some of what we been getting, up here in NW Indiana! grin

maddog

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Forecast is saying rain this weekend then cooler temps next week, boy I hope so! It's been hot and dry for weeks now around here.

I went for an early woods walk this morning and found this one around 7:30; my loads of 1-1/8 of #5's seem to work very well for knocking squirrels down, found four pellets under the off side hide.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beautiful 2row Phillip. What is it? Gonna use my old M11 Rem 16ga this evening after school.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's a Grulla Armas 209E, 12 gauge. Spanish and built in 1986 according to the date stamp on the action.

I like hunting with a shotgun, but somehow feel a bit naked without some optics, I'm used to shooting a scoped rifle and using binoculars.

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Cool beans Mike!

I just opened the Bates Squirrel Motel today to help combat an invasive species for the fine people of Montana. Our second client today just checked in, and I processed it... whistle

[Linked Image]

How long does it take ya to git a limit? whistle grin

maddog

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
It's a Grulla Armas 209E, 12 gauge. Spanish and built in 1986 according to the date stamp on the action.

I like hunting with a shotgun, but somehow feel a bit naked without some optics, I'm used to shooting a scoped rifle and using binoculars.

Well just drill and tap the rib and put an Aimpoint on it. grin grin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cool beans Mike!

[Linked Image]

How long does it take ya to git a limit? whistle grin

maddog

They are considered an invasive specie. There is no limit...... grin

But three in a day is a good day.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Ahhhhh, much better. Not as good as hunting with family, but a damm sight better than much else I can think of. Four today and I felt pretty good about that with all the leaves still up.

I'm thinking I could open a hotel and do some BIG batches of chowder....

[Linked Image][/URL]

[Linked Image][/URL]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got one this afternoon. It was nice out after the rain last night, quiet walking and quite a bit cooler. I'd hope to see more than just one, but that was it for the day. The wind had died down from the thunderstorms that came through before dawn, so I used the Kimber Hunter 22 instead of the shotgun.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great shooting and a fine rifle Phillip. Gonna exercise one of my old shotguns tomorrow. Bad thick where I'll be going. Will break out a .22 later in the season.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Had another client check into the Bates Squirrel Motel. I had to offer up room service via the Daisy 880.....

4 in the freezer...

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Tom, I should send you a box of organic limb chicken legs! grin

Getting ready to fire up the pressure cooker and do about 17-18 old ones I had bagged up in the freezer. When I get them done and boned out, I'm gonna re freeze the meat for future chowder, and I'm gonna try a recipe for "limb chicken pot pie" laugh

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
My plans exactly Mike. I haven't gotten any old ones yet, but when they check in, it will be crock pot/pot pie! grin

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, I pressure cooked 17 of the old rascals. I let them cool and went to boning them out. There was one in there that after 30 minutes and 10 lbs. of pressure, you still couldn't get the meat off the bone. He went in the waste basket! grin Coulda made shoe soles outa that ole bastid! grin

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 10/05/14.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I soften the older ones separate sometimes. One went three hours once before it gave in and tendered up.

We got some cold weather, but decided to do something different than the Maddog chowder this time.

First squirrels of '14:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That looks good, what is the recipe?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I'll second that, it looks good.

maddog

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll second that, it looks good.

maddog

And I'll second it again. Ended up with 8 gray squirrels Sat. Hoping I can get a few more this week..

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Get after em schoolmarm! I hope to get out at least once this week, with my peep sighted 10/22. The weather doesn't look too cooperative.

maddog

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks. It turned out pretty good, but it�s no maddog chowder. Don�t really have a recipe, kinda put it together by taste. Simmered the squirrels until they were softening up but not too tender. Took the meat off the bone. Strained the broth, kept about � and added some stock we�d made from turkeys we shot last spring. Put the deboned meat back in the pot, added a little wine, salt, pepper, garlic. Some mini-taters went in about � hour before the end. Onions and mushrooms added for the last 10 minutes or so. And rosemary and thyme from the yard.

8 beats my all time record for a day.

Ella

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ella that sure looks and sounds just too good. Will try that.
Sat, I saw/heard at least 35 squirrels. May not do that well next Sat, will be taking my 4yr old grandson.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I'm jealous of all you all who have your kids to take hunting.

Them limb chickens are definitely in high gear. When I went out this past weekend, you could hear em all gnawing at the pecans and beech nuts, sounded like locusts. Nutshells raining down everywhere. But getting eyes and sights on them was a challenge.

Good luck Sat.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got these two this morning before 7. It hadn't been daylight enough to see for but around fifteen minutes before spotting them, both males, both in the same tree. They took off running, and each caught a few #5's from my 1 ounce loads.
[Linked Image]
Grulla 209E 12 gauge

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Went hunting this morning. It was beautiful in the woods, although a little breezy. I decided to take my peep sighted 10/22 for it's first run of the year. Hadn't been in the woods more than 15 min., and saw my first one. Took a bit, but I finally got the peep on him. One shot and a red head to boot! grin

[Linked Image]

Pretty proud of my self, until I went on and missed two.... frown

Went on, and finally found a barker setting low in a tree. He's a red head too, although it took more than one shot. If I'd taken my scoped Sportster, I'd prolly shot a limit...oh well. grin

Two for the morning.

[Linked Image]

maddog

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dagnabbitt, you and Ella killing squirrels and having fun. I get to give 9weeks tests. Last year fo' sho'.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great squirrel hunting morning. Rained Fri night, quit just before we got in the woods. Very little wind and the limb rats were out in piles. Still too many leaves for .22s, so my son and I carried shotguns. My old trusty m11 Rem 16 came through again. I got 8 grays and my son got 6 grays. Didn't see any fox squirrels. Got back home before 10:00. Next Sat is my sons Bday and he wants Squirrel and Dumplings. Done deal. Leaves are starting to turn and a few falling so I'll be breaking out a .22 soon.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Bah! All these happy hunts and good pictures.

The only good thing to come of this am is this tale. So I figure I might as well share it.

It was the first day of regular gun season for deer on public land, so I thought I�d kill two beasts with two stones and garner a mixed bag. I set up in a spot I figured other hunters would push deer into, had a .22 for squirrels and a .45 colt Blackhawk for the deer. Given how thick the area is and how frequently shots are fast and short range, I�ve done as well with the pistol as a rifle out there the last couple of seasons. I was feeling pretty smug about my upcoming double dip, clever even.

Of course, after an hour and a half of gunshots going off way down the valley and nothing coming my way but a couple dozen scampering squirrels intent on raining beechnut and acorn shells on me, my temper and my equipment, I figured heck, holstered the sidearm and chambered a round in the .22.

At the snick of the bolt snapping back, every squirrel�even that fat little rascal that had been scampering around the tree I was sitting against, at one point giving me the eye from 10 feet away�every squirrel disappears into the thick leaves at the tops of the oaks.

I ease up and start sneaking over to a spot where I have a better view of and a clear shot at the treetops, and a couple of does and a nice little buck come charging out of the bushes about 30 yards downwind of me. They skid to stop. I�m frozen standing in the open with the .22 in my hands. As they wheel around, I try to get the pistol out and on �em. No such luck. I drop the .22 and go charging across the ridge to cut them off but get there only in time to see their white tails disappearing into the heavy thicket along the creek.

Needless to say, the squirrels never reappeared. I stuck around for a couple of hours and spent another hour slow-hunting back to the truck. I got one long shot at a limb chicken way up in a pecan tree and missed.

The moral is something about a squirrel in the hand or venison in the freezer or. Think I�ll start my own Laurel and Hardy show.

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, bow season is open, but gun season is about 5 weeks away. Took a buddy hunting with me today. He got a free hand shot at one, and missed. I dumbed around and heard five, saw five shot at three, and got two, both head shots. Shoulda had the third, but I shot too quick. Fun day!

[Linked Image]

maddog

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Nice shooting. We don't get those orange colored ones down here. They look like a couple pounds of eating each.

Ella

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Went out for a couple of hours this morning. The skinny fryer showed up as I was getting out of the truck. Took four shots to finally get his little noggin. Got the big stew boar in a stand of pecans and beech nuts. Saw a couple of others, but it was gusting wind, and I couldn't keep them in sight to get a shot.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ive been in and out a lot, so I didn't set the trap.....errrrr I mean the Norman Bates Squirrel Motel until this afternoon. Had one client check in already. That makes five in the freezer....

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Ella, nice shootin'

Tom, keep going to get enough for some fall LC chowder! laugh

Been raining here the last 3 days. puts me over 23" of rain since Aug. 21st. Fall harvest is way behind. May not get to hunt til sometime next week.

maddog

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Went this am. It was a little breezy, but decided to go and take my little buddy Dexter[aka butthead]. Saw 2 and got one. No Dex didn't tree it, but he was VERY interested, and the gun shots didn't bother him a bit.

[Linked Image]

Big ole male, old enough to draw social security.

[Linked Image]

See what I mean grin

maddog

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
you're gonna have to boil that joker twice. The first water will be tough.
Going out for a bit in the morning. Gonna tote my old Sav 24 20/.22. Haven't exercised it in awhile.

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
schoolmarm, that ole savage sounds neat. Had a stevens .22/.410, back when I was a teen, but ended up selling it[mistake]. Would love to have a .22/20 ga., just don't want to pay what they are asking for them, these days. Get a chance, post a pic of that gun.

maddog

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
got to get one of my kids over here to teach me how to do pictures. Got a bunch of ol' junkers.
The skwerls weren't moving. Son got 2, me 0.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I too sold a 24 in 22/410 indeed I killed my first squirrel with it. Shoulda never sold that one....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, i missed two today with a SHOTGUN blush Got one, but i missed two which is beyond my ability to comprehend....

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84
Wow, i missed two today with a SHOTGUN blush Got one, but i missed two which is beyond my ability to comprehend....

Swooft lil' bastids can outrun #6s. Had it happen before.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84

Marty, have you got fox squirrels over there?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These were grey squirrels. The one we got was a BIG one tho. I am not sure if we have fox squirrels. We have some little reddish ones, and lots of chipmunks.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
California Grays?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Check your cell phone...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Got it dude!

Yep thats a California Gray. They were protected when I lived in WA.

Tasty though..... whistle

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The regs say western greys.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Veddy yummy.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yeah, and they are every bit as big as a fox squirrel. Whats the limit on them?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
When you make your first million you'll have to meet me in Arizona for an Aberts Squirrel hunt! grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm in.

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
How about a pic of them big grays?

maddog

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Went this am. It was a little breezy, but decided to go and take my little buddy Dexter[aka butthead]. Saw 2 and got one. No Dex didn't tree it, but he was VERY interested, and the gun shots didn't bother him a bit.

[Linked Image]

Big ole male, old enough to draw social security.

[Linked Image]

See what I mean grin
maddog

MD,

Is your dog that small, or is that fox squoil that BIG!?

Thats the biggest squoil I ever done saw.

Was he on "the clear", or "the cream"?? And do you think he couldve hit a baseball?

Last edited by WillARights; 10/19/14.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Ole Dex weighs about 13-14 lbs. Yes, that was a huge fox squirrel. Just guessing, somewhere over 3 lbs.

Not sure what you meant about "the clear" or "the cream".

maddog

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Just alittle steroid, baseball, Barry Bonds joke

No matter. Id of thought he weighed at least 5lbs.

Man, nice one, none the less.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Ahh, now I get it. Yes that ole dude coulda been onsteroids, cept his thingy hadn't shrunk....just sayin'....whistle grin

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 10/19/14.
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Prolly got that big from pumpin' big hickory nuts....laugh

maddog

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Speaking of BIG fox squirrels, here is some pics of some of the biggest I've shot in the last three years. Every one of these would be over 3 lbs.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i264.photobucket.com/al...RRELHUNTING2014005_zpsa23a2ce0.jpg[/img]

Glad they aren't any bigger, or I'd have to get a power winch to load em in the truck! grin

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 10/19/14.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Didn't weigh it, but we got one when I was a kid that measured 21 inches from nose to base of tail. The tail added another 10 inches for a SOAL of 31 inches.
Biggest one I can remember till I got to Ga. and shot a couple Giant Fox Squirrels.
Theres a reason they are nicknamed 'cat squirrels'. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
dang MD, them are some bigguns. Heck, even the gravy would be tough.

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by schoolmarm
dang MD, them are some bigguns. Heck, even the gravy would be tough.

It is, unless ya pressure cook it...... wink grin

maddog

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Heading out the door, in a few minutes, with ole Dexter, for a frosty am adventure looking for limb chickens..... Will report back later. grin ps: he's excited! laugh

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 10/23/14.
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, Dex and I had quite a morning, just no squirrels in the bag. he actually did tree one, and I saw it go up the tree. Time I got to the area for a shot, he'd gotten in a hole. frown

Then, he saw a big buck trotting thru the woods, and site ran the hell out of him. Couple minutes later he was back at my side. Thank gawd, mama woulda shot me if her little baby got lost...grin

maddog

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Lord, you got tree hogs. Limb bacon is more like.

Try doing them up pulled pork style?

Got out for a couple hours this am. Shot two fryers and a stewer out of one pecan and got another stewer and fryer a half hour later.

Lots of pecans and beechnuts but real small acorn crop down here. It's
throwing off the deer patterns.

Ella

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, Dex and I had quite a morning, just no squirrels in the bag. he actually did tree one, and I saw it go up the tree. Time I got to the area for a shot, he'd gotten in a hole. frown

Then, he saw a big buck trotting thru the woods, and site ran the hell out of him. Couple minutes later he was back at my side. Thank gawd, mama woulda shot me if her little baby got lost..

maddog

You need a good collar system. Get in touch if you want one.
Son, wifey, and I are headed out after the squirrels this morn. First time for her this year. Got a 870 28g that's poison on squirrels.

Last edited by schoolmarm; 10/24/14.
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Good luck today, schoolmarm. As far as ole Dex is concerned, he's our house dog, and I'm not serious in making him a squirrel dog. It's just fun to take him to the woods once in a while, mostly for the laughs! grin He's just a house dog, but fun to be with.

maddog

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
we ended up with 7. Maw got her first one. Weren't moving too good. Headed to the Mississippi river delta lease for black squirrels this weekend.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Get pics! Im jealous of the black squirrels!

Just got my first crock pot squirrel this morning! One more and it'll be time for Pot Pies! laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ran across two guys from Arkansas today up here in the Missouri Ozark's squirrel hunting with dogs. Evidently they make the trip every year. They had about a dozen in the sack, needed eight more for a limit here.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maddog, i have a picture of my son with the tree rat, but its on my phone. I dont know how to make it go to my PC from the phone. Let me call the Tech and see if she can make it work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here ya go Maddog. My little guy LOVING the bushytail hunting.

[img]https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net...03114b21e75c1963f88f8215&oe=54B59E5E[/img]

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
SWEET! Way cool pic cool

maddog

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, went this am, to a place I hadn't been to all season. It has both fox and gray squirrels. Dumbed around, and got one. My first gray of the year. Woulda shot straighter, shoulda had two more......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'll say one thing, them little grays are a dang site easier to clean than those fox squirrels. If I can, gonna hit it a lick tomorrow.

maddog

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Sweet picture. The little guy looks delighted.

Only squirrel we got this am was in this guy's belly. (Didn't get a pic on account of the stink.) Had 8 rattles.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You're gonna eat that??? sick

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

laugh
Yeah, we were getting the skin and figured we'll throw some in with the fishfry. We're on a kick cooking oddball stuff this fall. Had raccoon last weekend. smirk Recipe out of the 1973 Joy of Cooking.

Ella

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
My best pard loved the stuff, but I vowed to never eat anything that smelled like that!

Seriously, how was the raccoon?

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The raccoon occasioned considerable trepidation, but turned surprisingly edible, a lot like wild turkey. Recipe called for stuffing with apples and sweet taters and baking. Bottom line, there's not much meat on one, and it's not worth the trouble.

I'd swap a raccoon for any one of those big fox squirrels mdog is bringing down.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks. Ive heard they taste like wild turkey...

Hoping to whack a couple this fall.

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Took a buddy with me today. I managed to get one[couldn't hit a bull in the azz with a base fiddle].

[Linked Image]

My buddy, on the other hand whacked um and stacked um, with his new 10/22.

[Linked Image]

Beautiful day in the woods.

Probably it for a week or so. My daughter is getting married this coming weekend, so lots to do.

maddog

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No luck with the black squirrels. Didn't start moving early and we had to leave early to put up a duck blind I built. Had to fight off the moccasins and gators but were able to get it in the swamp with the help of a Yamaha side by side. Tough machine.
Going back in a couple of weeks to try the squirrels and pigs.

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
schoolmarm, the fox squirrels up here aren't moving real early either. We saw more between 10-11:30 am, than at daylight. Them squirrels are like me, wait til things warm up, then get active. grin

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Mike, years ago when I was a kid living back there I noticed a tendency with fox squirrels to like to lay in the sunshine on a warmish day.....

Cost a few of them.... wink

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Client #7 has checked into the Norman Bates Squirrel Motel....... whistle

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Tom, keep up the good work.....grin

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Client #8 checked in yesterday too.

Got a couple 'stewers' so Im gonna crock pot them,pull the meat and make pot pie! laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Got a couple 'stewers' so Im gonna crock pot them,pull the meat and make pot pie! laugh

dagnabbitt, just wait on next year. I'll be out there with you retards.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I went out yesterday am but got side tracked. Should be back on the squirrels tomorrow.

[Linked Image]

I want to see one of those Mississippi black squirrels.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by schoolmarm

dagnabbitt, just wait on next year. I'll be out there with you retards.

Where are you planning on landing?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not teaching chilluns. Gonna be hunting squirrels, deer, and fishing. May even make a trip out west.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Client #9 checked into the Norman Bates Squirrel Motel this morning....another one for the crock pot...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
dang man, you're going to wear that trap out. Finally getting some cool weather down here. Gonna break out a .22 of some description.

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
No more hunting for me, until mid/late next week. Heading for Indy tomorrow. My daughter is getting married Sat. When we come back on Sun., we're bringing her dog back to baby sit for 2 wks., while they are on their honeymoon. My house should be a three ring circus between Bela and ole Dexter! laugh

Hope to get 2-3 more squirrel hunts in before Nov. 15, when our firearm deer season opens. Who knows what the weather is gonna be this Dec./Jan.......

maddog

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats on the marriage. Had to dawg sit a few times also.
My sons Lab is easy but had there been two there at a time doubt it.
Saw a Squirrel Skinner on line for sale so I've got one of my students making one. Hoping to try it out Sat.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Let me know how that skinner works. Im still doing it old school, and haven't tried the youtube version of how to skin a squirrel...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Will report back. Right now I know it was some great "busy work" to keep a youngun out of what little hair I've got left. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, my squirrel season hasn't worked out like I'd hoped. I've only made it out twice and once was on the opener with my 4 yo. Needless to say we didn't see any squirrels...

Made it out last Saturday to a public land spot I've not been too. I saw 6, but only got a shot at 2. One I missed as it ran through the tree tops. The one I got still had milk on his lips! May try to get a few during the first weekend of gun season, but we'll see.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I just had client #10 check into the Norman Bates squirrel Motel. This one was a big one..destined for the crock pot and pot pie!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love em', fine eats.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I havent been out after limb chickens for nearly 3 weeks! Cars breaking down, relatives moving, yada yada yada.. sure hope things slow up some and I can get back out in the woods.

Gun season for deer coming up soon around me, so lots of hunters are staying out of the woods till after gun deer season is over.

Leaves really falling off the trees now around me..wont be long and I will get the Browning Varmint special out for some handgun squirrel hunting.

dave

Last edited by ilikemilitaria; 11/01/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Meant to go today. Durn wind was blowing 20-25 mph. Not even the yard squirrels were out. Refinished a rifle for a buddy.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Limb chickens in the crock pot! Gonna bone the meat for pot pie tonite! laugh

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Client #11 checked into the norman Bates squirrel Motel.

Not near as much as hunting them...but it gets them in the freezer!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
[Linked Image]

2 gray squirrels in their natural state, cream of squirrel chowder...

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
DOOOOOOOD!!!!!! laugh

Squirrel pot pies are in the oven as we speak...the crock pot method is sure THE way to get the meat off the bones of the tough ones...

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Stupid easy to make. Just stew the squirrels and remove the bones, melt a half a stick of butter into a pot then add equal parts squirrel meat, sweet corn and shredded taters(both grown in my garden laugh ). add milk until its about an inch or so over the rest of the stuff, stir in about some diced farmers cheese(about 1/3 cup per squirrel). Season to taste with onion, garlic, salt and pepper, throw it in the oven at 375 until it's good and hot stir in some flour to thicken and put it back into the oven until the taters are done.

Last edited by CowboyTim; 11/02/14. Reason: forgot the cheese.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DOOOOOOOD!!!!!! laugh

Squirrel pot pies are in the oven as we speak...the crock pot method is sure THE way to get the meat off the bones of the tough ones...

Man I haven't thought about squirrel pot pies in a long time. Got to make amends. Worked on a deer stand and checked cameras. Got a bunch of bucks with one huge 10pt. Gonna have to get busy with the skwerls.

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, I got my beautiful daughter married off, this last weekend. She married a great guy. A fantastic time was had by all! grin
When They get it to me, I have a great pic to share with you guys...and a funny story.

Now, back to squirrel hunting , a couple more times, before our firearm deer season opens. Weather isn't cooperating too well, windy/rainy. Stay tuned.....

maddog

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beautiful weather here in Alabama, but I am not having any luck with the squirrels. I've seen a grand total of eight since the season opened October 1st. Hopefully I'll find more when most of the leaves are down.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Phillip, what part of Bama do you hunt. We're in NE Miss.

BTW MD, hope you got back with you check book intact. I know how it was when my daughter got married.

Last edited by schoolmarm; 11/04/14.
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, been watching the weather, and it's going to be cloudy, cold, and windy, for the next few days. Don't know if I'm going to get back out for another squirrel hunt, before our firearm deer season opens, next Sat.

maddog

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, the squirrel hunting is on hold til after thanksgiving. Our firearm season opens tomorrow, and it's going to be colder than a well diggers azz in January. eek

Going to my buddies place to hunt. My son will be coming up to hunt Mon. and Tues. Think I'm heading to Wally World to buy some of them chemical hand and foot warmers.....

maddog

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Breaking out the .45/70 or .357 single shot as our "primative" season has started. Got to shoot does only this season so that makes it freezer filling time.
Will be out after the bushey tails after that gets done. Fi nally enough leaves off that I can start using a .22.

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

268 members (16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 204guy, 33 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,171
Posts18,465,364
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.