Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A guy brought me four Remington 700 rifles and a sack of new Timney triggers the other day and asked me to install the Timneys. Now, what do I do with the like new X-Marks? Three of them have the adjustment screw on the trigger and the other (older?) one doesn't.
Two of the rifles were unfired and the others looked almost unused--definitely not messed with!
I would like to know if there is a market for them and what they might be worth.

Thanks for your input,
Ken

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have bought the X-Mark triggers for @ $35 each in the classified section of the board. This was prior to the recall being announced.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yes there is a market for them. As the previous poster pointed out, P.T.Barnum was right.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Personally, I wouldn't sell them myself for liability reasons until I made sure they weren't part of the recall or they were checked by Remington if they were part of it. Chances are good that they're fine but you'll have to decide if it's worth the gamble if they were in the recall and not "repaired".

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by basdjs
Personally, I wouldn't sell them myself for liability reasons until I made sure they weren't part of the recall or they were checked by Remington if they were part of it. Chances are good that they're fine but you'll have to decide if it's worth the gamble if they were in the recall and not "repaired".

I think you are probably right. I guess I need to go to the Remington website and see what I can find. I haven't paid too much attention to all of the notices etc. but I gather that ALL Remingtons are involved in the recall. Am I right? Of course I mean Remingtons with 700 style triggers!
Quite a mess for sure what with hunting season just around the corner.

Ken

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Not all 700's are part of the recall. Just certain batches of triggers. If you search Remington 700 and recall, you'll get to their recall information. You'd have to contact them and they'll need the serial numbers to tell you yeah or nah. I had to send one to them in May and just got notice that it's being shipped back. They initially told me on the phone it would be about a 2-week turnaround time but that story changed to "at least 12 weeks" when I called them again in late June. And I had to send the entire gun so I'm not sure you could send just triggers. At least you'd know if they were on guns that were recalled or not.

Last edited by basdjs; 08/17/14.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by basdjs

When it comes down to ridiculous this comes real close to the top of the heap...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
After thinking all of this over, I can't see where my selling these like new triggers is any different than worrying about all of the Remington triggers I have adjusted over the last 30 years or so!
As soon as I take a few pics, I will be putting them up for sale!!

Thanks for all of the input
Ken

PS Anybody need some triggers??? smile

Last edited by kennymauser; 08/17/14.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by kennymauser
A guy brought me four Remington 700 rifles and a sack of new Timney triggers the other day and asked me to install the Timneys. Now, what do I do with the like new X-Marks? Three of them have the adjustment screw on the trigger and the other (older?) one doesn't.
Two of the rifles were unfired and the others looked almost unused--definitely not messed with!
I would like to know if there is a market for them and what they might be worth.

Thanks for your input,
Ken
Just me - but I'd use 'em to help weigh down the other papers in my trash can...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Paper weights anyone??? grin

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Try putting them on the classifieds, as I mentioned P.T. Barnum was right. Ive sold a few for $35 and ended up throwing a few away�just depends on the day and the 'client'�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My opinion..........both models suck!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've 5 of them, but only one has the screw in the shoe. Must be lucky as all hit a crisp 32oz with ease. Never had an issue with the old Walker's either, but again, guess it's luck. I damn sure wouldn't consider a Timney to be an upgrade.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
I've 5 of them, but only one has the screw in the shoe. Must be lucky as all hit a crisp 32oz with ease. Never had an issue with the old Walker's either, but again, guess it's luck. I damn sure wouldn't consider a Timney to be an upgrade.

Yup!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM

Yup!

I'll gladly trade either of you a XMP externally adjustable when (if) I get it back from Remington for one of your Timneys.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The Timneys I installed were not mine. They came with the rifles. The guy paid #139.00 ea for 4 of them. I had to fit each one of them to the trigger guard and the stock. I couldn't see where they were an improvement over the Remingtons. The ones I took off are ---3 with the adjustment on the trigger itself, and one without. All three of the trigger adj. ones are new or close to it. I would however trade them for a Bold or Timney Mauser 98 trigger.

Ken

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
This is a little off topic, Last year I had my early 60's vintage M700 trigger go bang on me while going moving the safety from safe to fire. Took it to the gunsmith, he took the trigger apart and it was heavily fowled with all sorts of curd. He offered to clean it and put it back on the rifle. By then I had lost faith and trust in that trigger, had him R&R it with a Shilen. Couldn't be happier.

-----

Chopaka
Snohomish Co, WA
NRA Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lost faith in something because you failed to keep even modest care of it? Sounds like a horrible trigger... Not!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Even a cheap model timney is a upgrade from the "new" style rem triggers as they are pure [bleep] , I'd take an old style 700 trigger annd re work it over the cheap timney though

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've got Timney's on 4 of my Remmy 700's and every single one of them was a 5 minute (at most) drop in job, and a marked improvement over the factory trigger, 2 of which were X-MArk pro's� just an FYI, IMHO.

Foxx

God Bless America!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (338reddog, 444Matt, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 20 invisible), 1,738 guests, and 1,078 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,184
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.